Notices

Few Questions about goin Turbo!!! Turbo heads look inside!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Few Questions about goin Turbo!!! Turbo heads look inside!

These days, I've been thinkin about goin FI.

Now I have a few questions. I'm new to Turbo's, so you guys gotta bare with me. I have little knowledge about Turbos.

I have a 2000 Integra GS-R with the following engine mods:

Skunk2 Stage 1 Cams
Skunk2 Cam Gears
Skunk2 Intake Manifold
ITR AEM CAI
DC 4-1 header
Tanabe Hyper Medallion Exhaust
B&M fpr
Apex'i VAFC

Everything else is stock. If I get a turbo kit, will I have to switch to smaller cams? Are the Skunk2 Stage 1's too big to boost with?

I know the header will be no use once I go turbo. What other parts will go?

How come when I browse on Online shops, I see them selling 94-99 GS-R Turbo Kits, but no 2000-20001 GS-R Kits?

Will GS-R Turbo kits fit with the Skunk2 IM or will I have to go back to stock GS-R IM?

What do you guys think about the TSI Extreme Turbo Kits? Good? Bad? Decent?
Click Here

Let's just say I get the TSI Extreme Turbo kit. Will it just bolt-up and work? Will I need to get other things besides what the usual kit comes with?

Is the VAFC enough to tune turbos too? Or will I need to switch to a different tuning device?

Will I need to get other parts before I can bolt-on a Turbo kit or will the Turbo kit bolt-on without the need of other parts?

What I'm tryin to say is... can you slap on a Turbo kit on a Bone stock Car and THEN start getting other parts? Will it be safe?

Fill this turbo newbie with knowledge please. Thanks.

Modified by Skunk2nR at 3:20 AM 10/18/2003
Old 10-18-2003, 02:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Few Questions about goin Turbo!!! Turbo heads look inside! (Skunk2nR)

extreme turbo kits? T25!@! **** i won't T25 any b-series motor. it's just too small i think. try full-race.com. sell the exhaust manifold/headers.

get stock cams, their usually the best.

the turbo kit will work on stockish cars, but you must retard the timing and you can raise the fuel pressure a little since you have fpr.

VAFC will work great with a set of injectors and MSD BTM (boost timing magament), but i rather just get hondata have it tune and call it a day, but VAFC and MSD will work too, i've seen this blue civic hit 11.5 with vafc and msd and a FMU!!!

-mike
Old 10-18-2003, 07:48 AM
TurboJesse

Default Re: Few Questions about goin Turbo!!! Turbo heads look inside! (boostedrotary)

I would look into a kit with atleast a t3/t4 on a b18c1. Full-Race is nice, and prolly the best kit out there, But im sick of everyone reccomending it for everyone. Not everyone is looking for a 500whp car, if you want to just bolt a kit on with minor tuning, etc on a stock engine, look into Revhard or Max Rev, you can even make nice power with the 18g greddy kit. As for your cams, you could prolly use them, Aren't the stage 1's similar to ITR/CTR cams? I know plenty of people have had good success with ITR/CTR's and boost. If your unsure, im sure you'll have no problems selling them.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:40 AM

Default Re: Few Questions about goin Turbo!!! Turbo heads look inside! (Mpir3)

Glad to hear you may join the darkside

Sounds liek you have some descent na parts that you can sell to put toward you FI project. Obviously sell your intake, header, exhuast I would also sell the skunk2 cams and put your stock gsr back in. Also like mentioned do some research figure out your goals with the car, so you can figure out what tuning fuel management you want to go with. I would sell the vafc though, i wouldnt exactly consider it a tuning device.

Selling all your na parts you can have a solid platform to start with with probabably around 1k + in your pocket

Also yes the full race is probabaly the best kit ouit there right now, but it isn't for everyone, especially if your a noobie and this will be your first kit. I would go with a good solid kit, like revhard or maybe piece together a similar custom kit to specs that you would like.
Old 10-18-2003, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Few Questions about goin Turbo!!! Turbo heads look inside! (Skunk2nR)

Think of turbo kits as a cheap alternative to learning how to correctly boost your car. I recommend you spend a couple months researching, browsing around the board, and then buying the "kit" peice by peice according to what will work best. That's what I've done, and I am SOO glad I didn't buy a kit.

Welcome to the dark side. You'll never go back.
Old 10-18-2003, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I knew sooner or later you would decide to go the turbo route.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Few Questions about goin Turbo!!! Turbo heads look inside! (lazy bum shaughn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazy bum shaughn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I knew sooner or later you would decide to go the turbo route. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm still debating right now.

Seems like its gonna take some time, alot of work, and $$$ to go Turbo.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and since I have the Skunk2 IM, will I need a Type-R Turbo Kit so it will bolt-on correctly?
Old 10-18-2003, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are you planning on using your VAFC for tunning? Most people around here will recomend something like Hondata, or the AEM EMS. I would go Hondata personally.

How much power do you plan on making? Stock GSR blocks should be good up to 300 if it's tuned right.

Do you have your stock GSR cams? Those will make great power when boosted.

I woulnd't buy a kit either. It should be pretty easy to piece together a manifold, turbo, piping, intercooler, BOV, and wastagate.

Most people on this board would reccomend a Precision turbo; I would too.

And there are plenty of REALLY NICE manifolds floating around H-T.

Tial wastegate; IMO.

Good luck! Your car is going to own when it's finally snailed.
Old 10-18-2003, 01:50 PM

piece together your own turbo setup. Much better that way