Notices

A few questions about doing an oil return line from the turbo.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few questions about doing an oil return line from the turbo.

I've been checkin previous posts about other people's oil return setups and I think I'm just going to tap my pan. I got the fitting for it today and all set to go for it but I keep hearing about this honda bond gasket material that everyone's using to assure a proper seal. Could someone point me in the right direction on where to purchase this stuff or maybe tell me of some alternatives I could maybe get at a local autostore? Thanks.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A few questions about doing an oil return line from the turbo. (sohczcturbo)

What kind of fittings do you have ? are you running an AN line or just a hose with barb adapter ?

Whatever fitting you're running, you need to have the adapter and a nut. You drill the oil pan, insert the fitting through the hole and tighten the nut inside the oil pan.

You can put a dab of hondabond in there to prevent any leaking seals.

stan
Old 02-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: A few questions about doing an oil return line from the turbo. (Flamenco-T)

I an gonna do the barb adapter and I got the nut and I understand the whole tapping the pan idea and stuff, I am just wondering what this hondabond is and where can I get it and are there any alternatives besides the honda bond I can use to seal it. And JB will do the job I'd imagine but I don't want it to look completely like crap lol. Thanks for the reply though.

Also, should I run a lock washer or one of those neoprene (spelling?) lock nuts on the fitting inside of the oil pan to make sure it doesn't loosen? Or would it be ok just to run a regular metal nut with a dab of lock tight?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: A few questions about doing an oil return line from the turbo. (sohczcturbo)

I know its been done and seems to work but why chance a VITAL part of the setup to a fitting/nut that can come loose.

Take pan to muffler shop, have then weld an an fitting on there so you can use ss line and screw everthing down tight with an fittings.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well the welding really isn't what's worring me. Here's the scoop. I am boosting the engine currently in my hatch (d15) for ***** and giggles while I finish building my zc. I have every intention of blowing the d15 up, so I am not looking to spend too much on it, I just need the parts that will be functional considering all the money is being spent on the zc. My oil return line is steel braided, but it doesn't have any fitting already attached to it, so I'd have to go get the fitting attacked, then buy all the fittings for it to hook up to my turbo and my pan. So bang for buck is what I'm going for.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (sohczcturbo)

You don't have to use honda bond, you can use any gasket material. This is only used as an added protection against leakage. But you should tigthen your nut very well, to where it won;t back off and slip the fititng out of the oil pan.

stan
Old 02-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok when I tighten up that nut very well can I use some thread lock? It'd only be a small dab on it but I don't know if thread lock and oil aren't recomended to be together or what.