Notices

Few nicks in they cylinder wall

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Few nicks in they cylinder wall

Got my block and various parts back from the machine shop yesterday and I'm cleaning things up and I notice a few minor nicks the in cylinder wall. wtf. Does this mean I'm looking for a new block? They are super tiny, is this a some what common occurrence that doesn't affect anything? I've sure never seen anything like it.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:12 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Few nicks in they cylinder wall

im sure youll be alright
but ill let some more knowledgeable people chime in. have you notified the machine shop?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive mostly seen that with blocks that have been sitting for some time that occur small rust spots..therefore eating away the metal. ive seen it personally with a block i sent to the machine shop and the pitting was still there when i.got it back. id say go for it

Last edited by thomass; 10-06-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: addition
Old 10-06-2012, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thomass
Ive mostly seen that with blocks that have been sitting for some time that occur small rust spots..therefore eating away the metal. ive seen it personally with a block i sent to the machine shop and the pitting was still there when i.got it back. id say go for it
My block had not sat at all. I tore the motor down, degreased and power washed it, oiled it up and took to the machine shop.

The nicks are pretty microscopic but the rings feel it. I took the top compression ring and put it in the cylinder and slid it up and down slowly and I can feel it catching slightly. Dang. I may run up to Oreillys and get a honing tool you put in your drill and run it there very lightly and see if it deburrs the few tiny nicks.

justYencedible no the machine shop is closed and I have a three day weekend. Was really hoping to build this up this weekend.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think you will be ok, Your top ring will be below that anyways but if you nail catches I would just hone it out. You might remove like .001 so you I think you will be ok, just use a finer stone.
Old 10-06-2012, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I measured it and top ring will barely hit it I believe so grabbed this. Going to try and smooth it off now.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:09 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hidenplanvew
I think you will be ok, Your top ring will be below that anyways but if you nail catches I would just hone it out. You might remove like .001 so you I think you will be ok, just use a finer stone.
Wow, please, stop giving advice. Do you know how many strokes it would take to remove 0.001" ??? If he does in fact remove 0.001" to get rid of it, that is a hell of a lot. You are talking about greatly changing the piston to wall clearance. From potentially no slap to quite a bit with oil consumption.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MalcolmV8
I measured it and top ring will barely hit it I believe so grabbed this. Going to try and smooth it off now.

don't use that pos...you will ruin your fresh crosshatch.....trust me from experience...
Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

welp, now this block is fucked lol
Old 10-06-2012, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by non-VTEC
don't use that pos...you will ruin your fresh crosshatch.....trust me from experience...
Originally Posted by Spawne32
welp, now this block is fucked lol
I just touched the top of the cylinder very lightly for a few revolutions to knock down the edges on those tiny nicks. I didn't spin it though the whole bored and re "hone" it lol. Ya that would ruin the machine shop hone job for sure.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update. Took the block back to the machine shop this morning and he looked over the touch up I had done and he said it was fine. He said no re-honing was required as I had barely touched the top lightly and had not ruined the original hone job. So hopefully everything is good to go.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:55 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just curious - why is that particular tool so bad?
What is the recommended tool and how is it so different?
Old 10-08-2012, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 4drEF
Just curious - why is that particular tool so bad?
What is the recommended tool and how is it so different?
Yeah I hate the response: Oh that things a piece of ****, there goes the block...

Ok, where is the reasoning or experience other then it may "look" like a bad solution.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Yeah I hate the response: Oh that things a piece of ****, there goes the block...

Ok, where is the reasoning or experience other then it may "look" like a bad solution.
Yeah those responses worried me enough to take the block back to the machine shop. Granted I barely touched the cylinder and can't say for sure what additional usage may have done.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:11 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It is called inexperienced people that have no clue what they are talking about. They don't know how to use the tool properly and don't have the correct skill set to attempt it. We have been using those types of hones for DECADES... sure there are much better solutions now that remove any skill that is needed, but in the right hands that style of hone is perfectly fine.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
It is called inexperienced people that have no clue what they are talking about. They don't know how to use the tool properly and don't have the correct skill set to attempt it. We have been using those types of hones for DECADES... sure there are much better solutions now that remove any skill that is needed, but in the right hands that style of hone is perfectly fine.
My concern would be the fact that someone with a lack of experience taking that particular hone which can be bought at sears for 10 dollars, to an already good machine shop hone to try to "correct it" rather then just taking it back to the machine shp and having them take a look at it. Thats all.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 272 Likes on 260 Posts

Update. Took the block back to the machine shop this morning and he looked over the touch up I had done and he said it was fine. He said no re-honing was required as I had barely touched the top lightly and had not ruined the original hone job. So hopefully everything is good to go.

Im just curious! are you that anxious to put the motor in?
I mean for one its a rebuilt block, you might void any warranty by doing that to the motor in the event you have issue with the block! the machinist might simply say "well you re honed it after i worked on it so i really don't know what you did after i worked on it therefor your warranty is null.
But i would of deff just took it back to him that day! i mean you paid him all that money just to take it home and look at it and say "i dont think it was done right let me touch it up a little bit"!
If he has assured you those will not affect the motors performance then you should be good GL.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
I agree, it just takes practice to get the technique right that's all. Obviously if you've just picked one up and have never touched one before then it's a bad idea to even attempt to use it . But for someone with the experience and mastered technique it's not a problem.
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wunfstgsr
Im just curious! are you that anxious to put the motor in?
I mean for one its a rebuilt block, you might void any warranty by doing that to the motor in the event you have issue with the block! the machinist might simply say "well you re honed it after i worked on it so i really don't know what you did after i worked on it therefor your warranty is null.
But i would of deff just took it back to him that day! i mean you paid him all that money just to take it home and look at it and say "i dont think it was done right let me touch it up a little bit"!
If he has assured you those will not affect the motors performance then you should be good GL.
Yes I am. Why have it just sitting there wasting time taking up space when I could be putting it back in the car. I picked it up Friday afternoon before they closed. Was unable to take it back to the shop till Monday and I had a three day weekend. So yes I wanted to work on it.
Couldn't care less about warranty. It was $20 per cylinder to bore and hone. Worse case he said I owed him another $20 to rehone that cylinder. I figured he wouldn't though as I've brought him quite a bit of work over the years, great guy to work with and yes he said the cylinder is just fine.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

RUN IT.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nevea I did mean .0001 My bad I missed a key Anyways