Notices

a few ? about b18a turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2003, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few ? about b18a turbo

ok, so here's the deal...i found a 1990 integra rs with a turbo kit put together. I don't have much info, but its got a blown turbo, which i will replace. Well here's my question. I am a little afraid about buying this car because of tuning isues, although the car does have
-aem fuel rail
-h22 injectors
-turboXS boost controller
-vortech fmu
-msd fuel pump

The motor is not built, and i don't think it has an intercooler. If i were to buy this, and i wanted to run 7 psi or so, would i be ok?? I have no access to a dyno or anything like that sort around here, would those mods be good enough to suply a good a/f ratio for the motor? I would also be intercooling it later. thanks guys

Old 10-15-2003, 05:34 AM

Default Re: a few ? about b18a turbo (AaronJ)

anybody?
Old 10-15-2003, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First find out how much the guy is asking. If it is reasonable for what you'd be getting, ask if you can perform a compression and leakdown test on the engine. Try to inspect as many things as you can. If everything checks out OK and you do decide to buy it, I would ditch the fmu and inline pump setup and get a real fuel system and bigger injectors, along with and intank pump. Definite intercooler as well. You didn't say where you were located so its hard to say if you have a good tuner local to you. I'm not sure what "tuning issues" you are afraid of as it sounds like there is nothing you can tune with that setup as is. An fmu gives you a fixed rate of fuel that is not adjustable. It sounds like this could be a good opportunity for a project if you get it for a good deal and the engine is sound.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:17 AM

Default Re: a few ? about b18a turbo (highmilehatch)

see, the "tuning issues" i am talking about is the fact that i won't be able to..and is that ok? I live nowhere near a tuner so that isn't gonna happen, i just want this to be my daily driver that drives nice, but has some go-maybe a few low 14 second pass's would make me happy..oh yeah, and he said i can have it for 2500. It also has a tanabe racing medalion exhaust, kyb shocks, some coilovers, short shifter, and about a 500 dollar system.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well then. I say go for it assuming the engine is OK. Get a new turbo that is properly sized for running around 7 psi to give you decent power/response. I would throw stock injectors back on and use the fmu and inline pump. Dial back the timing a little and run some 93 octane if its available. Where are you located?
Old 10-15-2003, 07:30 AM

Default Re: a few ? about b18a turbo (highmilehatch)

rosholt south dakota...why would you get rid of the injectors and put stock ones on?
Old 10-23-2003, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Drive the car and see if the motor makes any strange noises. As for a turbo, a t3/t4 b works great, and with that fuel setup if the motor is good you can run 10psi easily, thats what i was running, also Sioux Falls, Excessive auto sports there has a dyno, they can tune your stuff. Buy and Air fuel ratio gauge and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator so you can somewhat tune the air and fuel so you can drive it decently, make sure it has a BOV, and get an Intercooler soon, because the turbo heats up the car like mad, hope this helps you.