Notices

Ferrea Valves: 6000 series vs. Competition Plus

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrea Valves: 6000 series vs. Competition Plus

Well, I'm about to buy some valves to to finish off my turbo ready motor, but I'm not sure which valves to get. I've been mainly looking at Ferrea, as my builder spoke very highly of them. I've glanced at Supertech and Crower too, but I just do what the builder says . But what do you guys think ?

The Goal: <FONT COLOR="red"> 9k redline </FONT>

I know the Competition Plus can handle them for sure, but is it overkill ? Will the 6000 series hold up just fine with that kind of redline on boost ? Or are there other valves that will meet my needs at a lower cost ?

Any advice, suggestions would be great. If you need any other information to give me better advice, please just ask within this post. TIA
Old 10-30-2007, 12:36 PM
i ♥ snails

whats wrong with stock valves with springs and retainers?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (quicksilver1689)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quicksilver1689 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats wrong with stock valves with springs and retainers?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think they can handle those revs, especially on boost as it gets way hotter when boosting ? Unless I'm wrong
Old 10-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HTNoob)

Ferrea 6000 Series, is fine.
Don't listen to the stock thing
Old 10-30-2007, 12:49 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (cptengineer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cptengineer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ferrea 6000 Series, is fine.
Don't listen to the stock thing</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, opinions ?
Take a vote on the poll please
Old 10-30-2007, 03:15 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: (HTNoob)

Anymore opinions ?
Old 10-31-2007, 06:00 PM
New User

I run the Ferrea 6000 series, this is what Brad from RLZ installed in my head. I have been told the only difference was the Pro Series were polished but I don't know if that is accurate or not but it came from a good source
Old 10-31-2007, 07:52 PM
i ♥ snails

Default Re: (cptengineer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cptengineer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ferrea 6000 Series, is fine.
Don't listen to the stock thing</TD></TR></TABLE>
nothing wrong with ferrea good stuff, i was just saying stockers have made awesome numbers with little problems most people just want the security of having a smaller chance of valve float during high rpm operation. Cant go wrong with ferrea
Old 10-31-2007, 09:28 PM

using Ferrea 6000 Series here
Old 11-01-2007, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (clinicmotorsports)

I've got supertech valvetrain. Take it to 9500 on boost all the time. I've seen 9999 on s300 datalogging inbetween shifts.
Old 11-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ferrea Valves: 6000 series vs. Competition Plus (Mr Wonderfull)

do supertech in all my builds, ferrea is nice stuff no doubt about it. depends on how much you want to spend
Old 11-01-2007, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ferrea Valves: 6000 series vs. Competition Plus (riceburner700)

When i was looking for valves i went with supertech ss nitrate coated, instead of the 6000's just came down to price. same valve from fererra was like 150 more.

i have fererra springs and retainers though i like them
Old 08-07-2019, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Ferrea Valves: 6000 series vs. Competition Plus

decided to bring this back from the dead since I have a similar question. I went out and bought Ferrea 6000 series valves for my turbo build since that's what was recommended by my builder. I called Portflow to pick their brain and to see costs on getting my head ported through them. I askd them what they thought about these valves and they stated that these were standard valves (uhhh what????) and that I needed inconel valves for turbo application so as to withstand the excessive heat. I don't know if the Competition Plus are "inconel" (Portflow didn't know either) but they said that I should upgrade to the Comp Plus valves.

My quesion is... should I upgrade to Comp Plus valves or should I be okay with the 6000 series? This is going to be for a B18C5 turbo build.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by porofek
decided to bring this back from the dead since I have a similar question. I went out and bought Ferrea 6000 series valves for my turbo build since that's what was recommended by my builder. I called Portflow to pick their brain and to see costs on getting my head ported through them. I askd them what they thought about these valves and they stated that these were standard valves (uhhh what????) and that I needed inconel valves for turbo application so as to withstand the excessive heat. I don't know if the Competition Plus are "inconel" (Portflow didn't know either) but they said that I should upgrade to the Comp Plus valves.

My quesion is... should I upgrade to Comp Plus valves or should I be okay with the 6000 series? This is going to be for a B18C5 turbo build.
6000 series is stainless steel. Competition Plus is some sort of stainless steel alloy, I would be skeptical that there's any type of "inconel" material in there, but it would be worthwhile to contact Ferrea with a quick email or phone call to confirm.

People boost stock Honda engines all the time, and OEM valves are never the failing point. The 6000 series would be fine for you, I'd imagine (citation needed) that the only time you'd need the Competition Plus valves would be for ultra high HP applications (~700+WHP), or perhaps for heavy duty track/circuit use where the car is in boost for long periods of times and engine temps are through the roof.

Edit: Obviously OEM valves sometimes fail, but what I'm trying to say is it's almost always the result of failed assembly or tuning. Unless you're boosting your B18C5 to 600+WHP, or planning on doing long track runs while in boost, I wouldn't second guess the 6000 series.
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-07-2019, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance EG
6000 series is stainless steel. Competition Plus is some sort of stainless steel alloy, I would be skeptical that there's any type of "inconel" material in there, but it would be worthwhile to contact Ferrea with a quick email or phone call to confirm.

People boost stock Honda engines all the time, and OEM valves are never the failing point. The 6000 series would be fine for you, I'd imagine (citation needed) that the only time you'd need the Competition Plus valves would be for ultra high HP applications (~700+WHP), or perhaps for heavy duty track/circuit use where the car is in boost for long periods of times and engine temps are through the roof.

Edit: Obviously OEM valves sometimes fail, but what I'm trying to say is it's almost always the result of failed assembly or tuning. Unless you're boosting your B18C5 to 600+WHP, or planning on doing long track runs while in boost, I wouldn't second guess the 6000 series.
When my head (D16Z6) was stock, I had no issues as far as valves. In fact, when my timing belt jumped and pistons hit, the valves took no damage at all. 2 cracked pistons, ZERO hurt valves.. On my rebuild, I went with Ferrea 6000 and my machinist fella had asked my new goals and he said they're fine in the ranges mentioned above. No concerns at all til around 700. Ferrea has proven nice so far.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ordered new valve train and also went with the Ferrea 6000 series. 400hp goal! I have no worries of any of their products failing because of a manufacturing defect.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 795 Likes on 735 Posts

How much power do you want to make ???
Old 08-08-2019, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

T​​​​​thanks for chiming in everybody. It seems like the 6000 series would be good for my power goals. I'm trying to do it once (and do it right ) while future proofing the setup just in case my power goals change. But I don't see myself going over 500whp.

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
How much power do you want to make ???
I'm currently sitting at around 240whp but ideally I'd like to be anywhere between 350whp - 400whp after I upgrade to css block with forged rods + pistons. I'm not looking for crazy power as my driving goals will mainly be backroads canyon carving and occasional track sessions.

Old 08-08-2019, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are thinking 500 wheel HP or less... the 6000's will be more than fine. The only advantage of the Comp Plus material in your case would be a SLIGHT increase in resistance to breaking the valve face off the stem in the event of a valve/piston strike failure... but this is really reaching. Did I mention you should get a set of 6000's ?!? LOL
The following users liked this post:
Old 08-09-2019, 06:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

T​​​​​thanks for chiming in everybody. It seems like the 6000 series would be good for my power goals. I'm trying to do it once (and do it right ) while future proofing the setup just in case my power goals change. But I don't see myself going over 500whp.

I'm currently sitting at around 240whp but ideally I'd like to be anywhere between 350whp - 400whp after I upgrade to css block with forged rods + pistons. I'm not looking for crazy power as my driving goals will mainly be backroads canyon carving and occasional track sessions.
Heh. You didn't need CSS for that goal.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Heh. You didn't need CSS for that goal.
It's very rare that it's bad to overbuild though.
Old 08-10-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

It's very rare that it's bad to overbuild though.
I was sleeved at only 350whp. But it also for my presuppose for road reaching which takes much more abuse. But I still don't think it's necessary.
Old 08-10-2019, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
I was sleeved at only 350whp. But it also for my presuppose for road reaching which takes much more abuse. But I still don't think it's necessary.
You did it right Shodan. I have seen a LOT of "B" series blocks split sleeves at 325-350 wheel HP... far more than I have seen survive.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ferrea 6000 series.

Go with the spring rate that supports your cam profile and rpm range you'll be in. Higher spring rate will only cause more wear and power loss.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Inconel (which has subspecies) is just one member in super alloys family, there is also many other types. They state that Competion Plus valves are super or special alloys, which is generic descirption but understandable because exact alloy can vary depending specific valve type and use.

Quick Reply: Ferrea Valves: 6000 series vs. Competition Plus