Notices

Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions

im having a problem with some boost issues. i really think its because my bov is open while im boosting.

4 questions......

1.where did you hook up your bov to? i hooked up the top part to the brake booster and i left the 2nd alone(nothing hooked up to it)
2.my bov is open at idle......is it suppose to be?
3.how do i go about adjusting it...if its not suppose to be open at idle.
4.were is your hard soft setting at on the very top of the bov? im boosting 6 psi

help me out guys.....hopefully this has been the problem all along...thanks in advance
Old 03-30-2003, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (wickedxboi)

im assuming u are asking what i hooked up the vacuum hose to? or am i wrong? i hooked it up to the vacuum source on my stock fpr. but i am not sure if this is what u are asking.

not sure on #2

i think u adjust the bov from the top with a screw? if u bought your bov brand new, they give u a stcoker to put on top of the bov that tells u which direction is for harder and softer.

im sorry i cant help u much but i do not have the bov in front of me.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (Tru Dynamix)

thanks for your help.......anyone else?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (wickedxboi)

no your bov should be closed @ idle start by adj. the top screw until closed, a vac line should be hooked to the top nipple NOT the bottom, leave it open
Old 03-30-2003, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (94dxt)

thats how i hooked it up.....i bought the kit used and the guy before me stripped the top of the bov....ill see if i can use a bigger screw or something..thanks
Old 05-18-2003, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (94dxt)

bringing this back from the dead...

but u say the bottom nipple should be left open? i have been running the bov with that nipple plugged and the top nipple to a vac source... whats the bottom nipple supposed to do and its supposed to stay open?

my bov i think is leaking out at idle too and im trying to figure it out... i adjusted the screw up top till i felt no air leaking out, but took it for a test drive and it wasn't blowin off at all. this is only at 5 psi.

thnx
Old 05-18-2003, 04:05 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (KiddEng)

To adjust it, I used the double nut method (sounds bad) on the bolt. Put two nuts on top of each other and turn them until they lock, now you can turn the threaded bolt to adjust. I found that when I was leaking during idle, it would take forver to get to full boost, so i adjusted it until it didn't leak at idle.

When there's pressure, the valve should stay closed because it has pressure on both sides of the valve, once you let off throttle, there's less pressure from your vacuum source than in the charge pipe, thus the valve opens.

please correct me if i'm mistaken.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:27 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (Trac226)

it will open at idle, the vacuum will pull it open.
the lower nipple should probaly be left untouched or hooked up to a boost source. its to set the bov to push-pull. but you normally don't need to set it up that way.
change the vacum source from what you have hooked up with your brakes, use the one for your FPR.
the adjustment should be turned down softer if your only running 6 psi. you dont want it to surge if you got it to tight.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (tHE oNE)

so what do other type s people do with their lower nipple? i still got mine plugged up...
and the top nipple is tee'd off of the fpr.

also so there should be a little air coming out of the bov at idle? right now i got the spring set that i feel very little air coming out, and will blow off when i go thru the gears... the other time i tightend it so no air was coming out at idle but it did not blow off when i went thru the gears.

thnx
Old 05-20-2003, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (KiddEng)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KiddEng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what do other type s people do with their lower nipple? i still got mine plugged up...
and the top nipple is tee'd off of the fpr.

also so there should be a little air coming out of the bov at idle? right now i got the spring set that i feel very little air coming out, and will blow off when i go thru the gears... the other time i tightend it so no air was coming out at idle but it did not blow off when i went thru the gears.

thnx
</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes im also curious. i also got a greddy type S and one of my friends told me to hook up the bottom nipple to my turbo and my wastegate to vacuum.. btw kiddeng how does ur greddy type S sound??
Old 05-20-2003, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (egturbo)

ok we gotta get the nipples straightend out hahah, i got the bottom plugged, but egturbo got it plumbed to the turbo? i got the top nipple teed to the fpr for vacuum...i sense mass confusion here. maybe its the noob in us?

and my type s sounds like the same as the bov sounds in fnf...blah... got the short woosh followed by a high pitch whistle...i guess thats how u can describe it. although lately the whoosh doesn't sound as pronounced and the whistle seems more prolonged... thats why im trying to figure out the nipple problem or to see if just my bov is leaking.

i hear that the spring onthe greddy bov over some usage gets soft or has less tension causing it to leak?

anyone got info on this?
peace
Old 05-20-2003, 01:05 PM

i have the same question about the extra nipple. i have an hks model and on the hks site it says that the second or lower nipple is a pop-off valve and i believe it is supposed to be teed into the vacuum line from the turbo to the wastegate. and it is a safety precaution. if the boost surges over what your wastegate is set at then the bov discharges the extra boost. i think thats how it works anyway.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can leave the bottom open or to the turbo. but if you hook it up to the turbo also, you need to make sure that the BOV is closed at idle.

you can just think of the bov with a top and bottom chamber with a nipple going into each one.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (GSRrR)

hmm...i got the bottome plugged... i'll try riding around wiht it UN-plugged and see if i noticed a diff.

btw i still got some air coming out of the bov at idle...is that normal? is the vacuum at idle opening the bov a little?
Old 05-20-2003, 01:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

from google:

http://herpetology.com/dsm/bov.html

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The smaller nipple on the cast aluminum body of the BOV may be spliced into the turbo outlet pipe or into the line between the turbo and wastgate actuator. Use the T-connector supplied. This connects to pressure even when the other line has vacuum. This will activate the BOV faster by applying pressure under the valve seat.

The smaller nipple may also be left unconnected. The BOV will operate slower and more quietly. I did not test this mode.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-20-2003, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Fellow Greddy Type S bov owners.......get in here please....couple of questions (GSRrR)

interesting...have you hooked it up like this be4? would it be correct if i tee'd the bottom nipple in between the wastegate and my boostcontroller?
Old 05-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i took my bov off my charge pipe and at idle its open. im not sure if its suppose to do that. if i add gas..it stays open
Old 05-21-2003, 08:33 PM

you need to leave the bottom unplugged or hook it up to the compressor housing of your turbo..
I never really messed with the bottom nipple, but its to set up the bov to push and pull, it will Blow-off somewhat quicker and have a diff sound. I never saw a need to hook it up.
you can mess with it, its not going to hurt anything