Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Feedback request: Who has used a quality Top-Mount manifold on a B-series engine? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/feedback-request-who-has-used-quality-top-mount-manifold-b-series-engine-3327064/)

sikefcrx89 09-09-2018 02:56 PM

Feedback request: Who has used a quality Top-Mount manifold on a B-series engine?

So K series plan look like they are falling through. Lots of parts collected,but more needed and a bigger power B series turbo would still be fun.

I am looking at the Sheepy AC/PS Top mount manifold. Anyone here currently using one or know of a build thread of someone who did? I know there are just a capable manifolds out there,but since my Old boosted ZC days I have always wanted a Top mount. Link me please. Google is sucking while trying to locate anything anymore.

Chance EG 09-09-2018 04:52 PM

re: Feedback request: Who has used a quality Top-Mount manifold on a B-series engine?

sikefcrx89 09-09-2018 05:02 PM

re: Feedback request: Who has used a quality Top-Mount manifold on a B-series engine?

Was looking for a build thread. I have see the few youtube videos out there of it in action. Wondering what pains/hardships or if it was even worth while for "Top Mount"

AZ_CIVIC 09-10-2018 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by sikefcrx89 (Post 51725744)
Was looking for a build thread. I have see the few youtube videos out there of it in action. Wondering what pains/hardships or if it was even worth while for "Top Mount"

Are you looking for someone who used that specific top mount with ac/ps or a top mount manifold in general? I've used a top mount manifold setup and was part of my build thread but it wasn't ac/ps friendly.

sikefcrx89 09-10-2018 04:42 PM

Unsure why my topic title changed. This is going on a B series not a ZC.

sikefcrx89 09-10-2018 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC (Post 51726566)
Are you looking for someone who used that specific top mount with ac/ps or a top mount manifold in general? I've used a top mount manifold setup and was part of my build thread but it wasn't ac/ps friendly.

Yes. This specific manifold to find trials and tribulations of the install or other un forseen problems. As this won't be a hood exit setup like the few I have seen on youtube.

Chance EG 09-10-2018 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by sikefcrx89 (Post 51726673)
Yes. This specific manifold to find trials and tribulations of the install or other un forseen problems. As this won't be a hood exit setup like the few I have seen on youtube.

Call Sheepy and see what they have to say, as far as what can/cannot work with dump tube and downpipe designs. This manifold definitely puts the compressor housing at an ugly location both for PS and AC lines. I don't think you'd be able to fit a filter in there.

I think this is going to be one of those "it can be done, but shouldn't" situations. This manifold would also yield poorer spool characteristics than an AC/PS compatible mini ram.

It is a nice looking piece though, and would certainly flow well. If you do decide to move forward with it, let us know how it works out.

sikefcrx89 09-10-2018 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Chance EG (Post 51726675)
Call Sheepy and see what they have to say, as far as what can/cannot work with dump tube and downpipe designs. This manifold definitely puts the compressor housing at an ugly location both for PS and AC lines. I don't think you'd be able to fit a filter in there.

I think this is going to be one of those "it can be done, but shouldn't" situations. This manifold would also yield poorer spool characteristics than an AC/PS compatible mini ram.

It is a nice looking piece though, and would certainly flow well. If you do decide to move forward with it, let us know how it works out.

Yes. No actual filter. They make the hot parts kit for it,but its hood exit. Seems as this may go the find out as it happens

2kdrift 09-10-2018 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by sikefcrx89 (Post 51726672)
Unsure why my topic title changed. This is going on a B series not a ZC.

that would be the all mighty shodan he knows all including the appropriate title for your thread

TheShodan 09-11-2018 11:37 AM

Re: Feedback request: Who has used a quality Top-Mount manifold on a ZC engine?

Originally Posted by 2kdrift (Post 51726722)
that would be the all mighty shodan he knows all including the appropriate title for your thread

My apologies. OP went through a little story of three different engines, and it was difficult to understand which one he/she was working with.
I do tend to change titles to reflect better search analytics for other people within and outside the forum. It's the only way to differentiate the "HELP' to "My setup questions", etc. you get the idea.

Carry on..

sikefcrx89 09-11-2018 12:16 PM

Re: Feedback request: Who has used a quality Top-Mount manifold on a B-series engine?

Greg messaged me today. Seeing what can be done fairly easily as far as retaining creature comforts,but still hitting my power goals. which are in the 5-650 range

NVturbo 09-12-2018 03:19 AM

Re: Feedback request: Who has used a quality Top-Mount manifold on a B-series engine?

sikefcrx89, if you are in the market for one, my nephew can fab up one for you. He is currently building a top mount manifold/DP and FMIC piping for my D16 build.

-----> https://www.instagram.com/ryfab_ygrc/

TheShodan 09-12-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by sikefcrx89 (Post 51727320)
Greg messaged me today. Seeing what can be done fairly easily as far as retaining creature comforts,but still hitting my power goals. which are in the 5-650 range

You gotta be willing to give up something when it comes to reaching those power levels and retrofitting an entire system into something that was never designed to be there in the 1st place.

Like I've always believed. When in doubt, buy a second car that works with you on the bad days. Because something will be compromised when attempting this for a "daily driver"..
I'm sure you'll find what you need. Just be willing to give up something in your decision-making process

AZ_CIVIC 09-12-2018 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51728235)
You gotta be willing to give up something when it comes to reaching those power levels and retrofitting an entire system into something that was never designed to be there in the 1st place.

Like I've always believed. When in doubt, buy a second car that works with you on the bad days. Because something will be compromised when attempting this for a "daily driver"..
I'm sure you'll find what you need. Just be willing to give up something in your decision-making process

I second this 100%, I actually at one point had a 500whp setup with ac/ps and really thought very wisely on how to set it up to daily. At the time I used an inline pro t3 stainless manifold that allowed ac and ps, the biggest problem was the amount of webbing I had to cut out on the block to make this work.

Second I used a vertical flow Treadstone Performance Mustang intercooler and modified it in order to literally sit towards the driver side allowing almost 100% airflow to the radiator. I used a Koyo radiator, mishimoto fan shroud and Maradyne fan and the car stayed perfectly cool. However I was able to build a tight radius DP in order to fit the AC compressor which is very tight in a Civic plus the DP, manifold and turbo exhaust housing was heat coated and DP wrapped. The biggest problem was the ac compressor for a Civic is already small, two you have a turbo exhaust housing and DP an in or so away from the compressor, three I had to remove that big old condenser fan because it literally would not fit and replace it was a crappy slim fan with no fan shroud because their is just no room. Then you have a big intercooler block the direct airflow to the already small condenser and top it off with all your ac lines close to hot turbo parts.

Now I did have ac and in the morning it blew ok cool air but during the afternoon the compressor could not do its job right during the afternoon and driving in traffic which essentially makes the air luke warm/cool LOL. Now it would have been nice to have a bigger compressor or better fan systems and all that but you just don't have the room to play with.

sikefcrx89 09-12-2018 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51728235)

This is not a daily driver and never is intended to be. This car will see nice weather days from spring until early fall and gets put back away for the rough stuff. Greg said he can build what I want,but for a linear build like I am thinking he is recommending me the AC/PS Ramhorn for better fit/function. A bracket I really don't mind to alter a bit,but I will not cut/hack anything. Car is in the process of a restoration and finding something that will keep me happy and perform all at the same time.

TheShodan 09-12-2018 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by sikefcrx89 (Post 51728315)
This is not a daily driver and never is intended to be. This car will see nice weather days from spring until early fall and gets put back away for the rough stuff. Greg said he can build what I want,but for a linear build like I am thinking he is recommending me the AC/PS Ramhorn for better fit/function. A bracket I really don't mind to alter a bit,but I will not cut/hack anything. Car is in the process of a restoration and finding something that will keep me happy and perform all at the same time.

Then based this information, stay away from the top mount, a/c will still suck with the kooks-style, and depending upon the sized compressor cover your turbo will have, you may still be "hacking" away.. But it is a better choice than a top mount

Balor_Gr 09-12-2018 02:25 PM

If you just need a TOP performer non location dependant.
Get a Reverse rotation GTX3576 G2 and ask Greg to do a reverse top mount (shorter better.Read bellow)
5-6 inches straight shooting out of the flange and then curving down to the collector(flange will be parallel to the ground).
Its only possible with reverse rotation to keep Turbine housing volute inside the engine bay and not the fender.
It the only way to have the compressor facing the left side AND:
- only having ONE 90degree curve and one 45 degree per cylinder
- Straight shooting 5-6" AKA first curve 5-6" after the flange. I need a full page to explain why.
- Equal length without many curves.
-NOT super long like top mount nonsence.
Imagine it like a equal length mini ram or a better version of the mini-eq.
I had a reverse rotation GTX3076 mocked up above my engine bay.
Its the best possible manifild design you will ever have.
BUT its impossible without reverse rotation turbo if you want compressor facing left(for non ugly flow killer curve on the downpipe.)
It will be easy ti wrap and will be able to keep the AC but unless you do a small air vent on the hood for the air to get pulled out from the engine bay from the layer of air, well it will never work correct.
AC on turbo hondas barely work.

sikefcrx89 09-12-2018 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 51728363)
Then based this information, stay away from the top mount, a/c will still suck with the kooks-style, and depending upon the sized compressor cover your turbo will have, you may still be "hacking" away.. But it is a better choice than a top mount

based on my power goals Greg is recommending me the AC/PS Ramhorn and suggested that I go with either a GTX30xx or PTE 5862 . E trim compressor for clearance. Either should easily make the power I am looking for and have reliable spool/linear power bands. for a 1.8 LS/V

sikefcrx89 09-12-2018 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr (Post 51728410)
If you just need a TOP performer non location dependant.
Get a Reverse rotation GTX3576 G2 and ask Greg to do a reverse top mount (shorter better.Read bellow)
5-6 inches straight shooting out of the flange and then curving down to the collector(flange will be parallel to the ground).
Its only possible with reverse rotation to keep Turbine housing volute inside the engine bay and not the fender.
It the only way to have the compressor facing the left side AND:
- only having ONE 90degree curve and one 45 degree per cylinder
- Straight shooting 5-6" AKA first curve 5-6" after the flange. I need a full page to explain why.
- Equal length without many curves.
-NOT super long like top mount nonsence.
Imagine it like a equal length mini ram or a better version of the mini-eq.
I had a reverse rotation GTX3076 mocked up above my engine bay.
Its the best possible manifild design you will ever have.
BUT its impossible without reverse rotation turbo if you want compressor facing left(for non ugly flow killer curve on the downpipe.)
It will be easy ti wrap and will be able to keep the AC but unless you do a small air vent on the hood for the air to get pulled out from the engine bay from the layer of air, well it will never work correct.
AC on turbo hondas barely work.

Would you happen to have photos?

Are referring to a Mini-Ram?

Balor_Gr 09-13-2018 07:44 AM

Im afraid not. I was thinking about this for some years till i saw the reverse rotation turbos.
The plan is for me to have this kind of setup till christmass but ill have to find time to finish my engine first.