Notices

Feedback request: JDM front DC2/DBM Circuit race tucked radiator options?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Feedback request: JDM front DC2/DBM Circuit race tucked radiator options?

Does anybody run a tucked radiator in there turbo road race application? I have been looking at the rywire tucked radiators and just wondering if the are any good. I have a Koyo half size in the integra and it just is not going to cut it. Im leaning towards the tucked radiator because I really don't want to change my turbo set up around to fit a regular full size in it. And If you were able to put a tuck radiator in there did you have to cut the hood latch support? I have a JDM front integra. Thanks
Old 07-14-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: tucked radiator

Originally Posted by jerzey908
Does anybody run a tucked radiator in there turbo road race application? I have been looking at the rywire tucked radiators and just wondering if the are any good. I have a Koyo half size in the integra and it just is not going to cut it. Im leaning towards the tucked radiator because I really don't want to change my turbo set up around to fit a regular full size in it. And If you were able to put a tuck radiator in there did you have to cut the hood latch support? I have a JDM front integra. Thanks
It's difficult to use a tucked radiator on a road race application, due to the clearance of about 4" needed between the radiator and intercooler, to prevent over heating (unless thou have aero underneath that supplements it)

The only examples that might really work other than that are a 1990 VW Scirocco,/Corrado (sp?). Or one from CSF.
I've never experienced a setup where the hood latch required removal.

There is another person (screename "powerless" with his JDM DC2 that was close to using one for his events, but his exhaust manifold (mini-me EQ) allows for it.. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

I plan to use a Griffin 3/4 radiator for my mini-we, single back door Garrett I/C.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
It's difficult to use a tucked radiator on a road race application, due to the clearance of about 4" needed between the radiator and intercooler, to prevent over heating (unless thou have aero underneath that supplements it)

The only examples that might really work other than that are a 1990 VW Scirocco,/Corrado (sp?). Or one from CSF.
I've never experienced a setup where the hood latch required removal.

There is another person (screename "powerless" with his JDM DC2 that was close to using one for his events, but his exhaust manifold (mini-me EQ) allows for it.. I'll see if I can find a link for you.

I plan to use a Griffin 3/4 radiator for my mini-we, single back door Garrett I/C.
I was looking at the ones from CSF. They come in 2 different sizes 24x9and 24x13. I would get the bigger of the two if It will fit.(as in clear headlights, turbo, etc) and both are duel pass. The ones that rywire sell are actually built by CSF.
Old 07-14-2018, 07:52 PM

I was looking at the ones from CSF. They come in 2 different sizes 24x9and 24x13. I would get the bigger of the two if It will fit.(as in clear headlights, turbo, etc) and both are duel pass. The ones that rywire sell are actually built by CSF.
That's no surprise. Time to break out the measuring tape, cardboard, and box-cutters to start your mock-up
Old 07-15-2018, 05:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

That's no surprise. Time to break out the measuring tape, cardboard, and box-cutters to start your mock-up
Just do a full cardboard design. Cardboard end tanks, corrugated cardboard core, full duct tape "welds"

An under body air dam may help scoop air to the radiator if you haven't already played with that idea, if clearance becomes an issue in the front to the FMIC. Shouldn't be too hard to mock one up and then cut it out of plastic from Home Depot.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Feedback request: JDM front DC2/DBM Circuit race tucked radiator options?

so the radiator has to be 4" from the intercooler? if thats correct a tucked radiator will not wpork
Old 07-17-2018, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Feedback request: JDM front DC2/DBM Circuit race tucked radiator options?

so the radiator has to be 4" from the intercooler? if thats correct a tucked radiator will not wpork
About 2"-4" distance. An air dam will also be beneficial.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so has anybody actually done this with this type of application with success? If so you have any pointers? what worked, what didn't? what did you use for your setup up and any pics so i can get some idea's? Thanks in advance!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 PM

so has anybody actually done this with this type of application with success? If so you have any pointers? what worked, what didn't? what did you use for your setup up and any pics so i can get some idea's? Thanks in advance!
Umm. Yeah, no, it is difficult to do.

I suggest finding "powerneedy's" circuit setup. Check h-t via honda-tech.com for details.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

boosted94gsr has something similar I'm going to copy when I do mine. He cut out the core support on the bottom (which is hollow) and replaced the cutout section with a piece of (1.5"?) angle to be able to fit the radiator under the rad support.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
boosted94gsr has something similar I'm going to copy when I do mine. He cut out the core support on the bottom (which is hollow) and replaced the cutout section with a piece of (1.5"?) angle to be able to fit the radiator under the rad support.
But Boosted94GS-R is drag racing. You'll easily upset balance of the front end and will need other means to compensate for the change of mass balance when cornering and cone dodging.
I could see that being possible, but I'd avoid it if the purpose is simply for a tucked radiator.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pics are pretty self explanatory of what I did, but this is how I got a tucked scirocco radiator to fit under the factory hood latch on my old integra. I’m running the same setup on my current eg civic with it mounted a little different now, but I’ve never had any trouble keeping my car running cool year round. Although I don’t compete in any events that seriously tax the cooling system, just very spirited driving and drag racing.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:23 AM

I see. that's not how most people did that when removing the lower support. you simply modified the existing support to work with the Scirocco.. In that case, I think that would be ok to do as an option. So, I recant my previous statement.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

But Boosted94GS-R is drag racing. You'll easily upset balance of the front end and will need other means to compensate for the change of mass balance when cornering and cone dodging.
I could see that being possible, but I'd avoid it if the purpose is simply for a tucked radiator.
Thats the last thing I'd be worried about. Upsetting the front end? I've removed power steering, A/C etc, added on a turbo and all the required accessorizes etc. Moving the radiator back 2-3" is the least of my worries in that sector. I've been fighting cooling issues with my Integra since I first put a Greddy kit on it in 2008 lol. Been through about half a dozen radiators, wrapped everything, propped hood, heat shields, great fan, triple core rad etc. Just not enough capacity with a half size and the airflow is insufficient through the bumper. We're talking 2-3" here right?
Old 07-26-2018, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Thats the last thing I'd be worried about. Upsetting the front end? I've removed power steering, A/C etc, added on a turbo and all the required accessorizes etc. Moving the radiator back 2-3" is the least of my worries in that sector. I've been fighting cooling issues with my Integra since I first put a Greddy kit on it in 2008 lol. Been through about half a dozen radiators, wrapped everything, propped hood, heat shields, great fan, triple core rad etc. Just not enough capacity with a half size and the airflow is insufficient through the bumper. We're talking 2-3" here right?
Hmm. I've never had that issue entirely with my Koyo/SPAL half-rad combination. I could circuit race with that combination, but I just couldn't stay out as long. So, I wouldn't call the half-rad so much as a problem, as it is a limitation, on what you can do. But highway kills is a bit different than being on the circuit, although in this case, changing the system entirely is the best idea in both racing applications/scenarios. Being a USDM front-end doesn't help things either.

Myself, I'm going to a custom 3 1/4 sized system to work with my 12" high back door Garrett intercooler.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was looking at "powerneedy's" thread and Im think about getting the style radiator he did. The Afco Scirocco style if i can get it to fit with out removing the hood latch and re doing my turbo. there are two different ones im thinking about one the core is 2.5" and the other is 2" both are dual pass. just don't know which one to get. here is a link to both https://www.summitracing.com/parts/afc-80107n/overview/ or https://www.jegs.com/i/AFCO-Cooling/...07LWN/10002/-1

Last edited by jerzey908; 07-27-2018 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 10-18-2019, 04:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone ran a chasebay or speed factory tucked radiator with their JDM Front?
Old 10-20-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cole D
Has anyone ran a chasebay or speed factory tucked radiator with their JDM Front?
you NA or Turbo?
Old 10-20-2019, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you NA or Turbo?
Turbo, inline pro manifold and no space up front to run a proper cooling system the traditional way. I've explored the idea of half radiator but I'm afraid it won't be able to keep up in the summer
Old 10-21-2019, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have a JDM front but, I used a Mishimoto full size (dual core) and titled it forward under the core support. Chopped/capped the filler neck and added a swirl pot with filler neck. Works great with little to no modification to the chassis.

Old 10-21-2019, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer
I don't have a JDM front but, I used a Mishimoto full size (dual core) and titled it forward under the core support. Chopped/capped the filler neck and added a swirl pot with filler neck. Works great with little to no modification to the chassis.

Do you have any pictures of how you mounted it? Did you relocate the bottom mounting tabs?
Old 10-21-2019, 06:03 AM

Turbo, inline pro manifold and no space up front to run a proper cooling system the traditional way. I've explored the idea of half radiator but I'm afraid it won't be able to keep up in the summer
interesting. I've run similar with both front ends. I have a JDM front end now , and now changed to a full Koyo radiator with twin SpAL fans. but I did change manifolds too.

the inline pro manifold can easily support a JDM front end
Old 10-21-2019, 06:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have any pictures of how you mounted it? Did you relocate the bottom mounting tabs?
The bottom tabs are factory, the top you can see around the hood latch area (oem hood latch still fits, I just use hood pins) I have a 'C' bracket from the core support to the radiator to mount it up top.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting. I've run similar with both front ends. I have a JDM front end now , and now changed to a full Koyo radiator with twin SpAL fans. but I did change manifolds too.

the inline pro manifold can easily support a JDM front end
I'll post some pics my dumptube runs in front of the manifold and not offset to the side which kills much needed space. I could get a full radiator to fit but no space for a puller fan.

Old 10-21-2019, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 67 Likes on 61 Posts

I'll post some pics my dumptube runs in front of the manifold and not offset to the side which kills much needed space. I could get a full radiator to fit but no space for a puller fan.

Is that a heat shield under the inlinepro? Just curious because I'm about to install same manifold soon and never saw a heat shield for one.

Quick Reply: Feedback request: JDM front DC2/DBM Circuit race tucked radiator options?