Notices

favorite piston/rod combo for F.I.?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: favorite piston/rod combo for F.I.?

Originally Posted by Charlie Moua
stock rods with arp rod bolts FTW..... lol
LOL i tested the limit of the stock rod 2 weeks ago.. It snapped it & put it though my block at around 400-450whp.. the rod bolts and the big end are still connected to the crankshaft. The bolts are stronger then the rods from my experience .. i was revving to 8600, but it let go @ 7200 in 4th..
Eagles are a safe bet for 5-600whp anything higher i would go with something better imo
Old 03-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input everybody... and 4genaccordfreak hit it on the head... basically just trying to get a feel for what people are using and thier experience with it... dont wanna go out and spend money on crap... thanks again for all the info...
Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
It has nothing to do with age, although I would hope someone would trust experience rather than the fan boy. Maybe I am so bent on this because of the gun forums I am on, but you just see so many people say something is great because they own it and don't want it to be a waste of money or seem ignorant. Everything has its place (even eBay sold parts) but as was stated time and time again previously, nobody can even remotely give advice unless they know the circumstances. There are too many what if variables. For instance, what if the OP lives in Alaska or Canada and sees temperatures of -40* F and still drives his car? The forging and clearances would DRASTICALLY change for someone in the southern edge of the border of the USA.

To me, this thread is just as useless as the type of threads you gave above. I am the only one thus far to even remotely touch on WHY something should be used. Calling out a couple brand names doesn't say jack sqaut about anything. What is next, the "What is your favorite color?" thread in the Forced Induction section?
The original question was very vague and I think your response was spot on this time around, with the usual entertaining bit of narcissism that everyone here loves
Old 03-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

In my last big build (2.1l ls/VTEC, custom crank, head, custom everything, etc) I used Manley turbo tuff rods and cp pistons

This time around I'll be using 81mm 10:1 Arias pistons that I'm having coated (dome, skirts, etc) and either these probe I-beams with ARP bolts I have or I'll be using aluminum rods.. depends if I can sell the probes.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had great success with Manley TT's and Weisco pistons.
This next motor has GRP AL rods and JE pistons.

Both were making 1000+hp
Old 03-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pauter rods/ CP pistons, imo.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loud is a relative term. What is acceptable to some is not to others. Please don't inject ignorance. Have you even honestly used them from a range of at least 0.003-0.006" and the same with similar forging type pistons? I can assure you they are louder than other manufactures of the similar 2618 forging. This thread was over the moment it was created.
I only agree with the last sentence. I have used so many different brand pistons and there are way too many variables to throw out a blanket statement like that. I always pay attention because I hate noise and cold piston slap
Old 03-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

im running eagle rods, and JE pistons.
why??? because they fit the budget, and the overall power goal i am shooting for.
are my parts the best out there? NOPE, am i okay with that? you bet 'cher azz I am.
Im not going for crazy power, 300 whp to start and work my way up from there.
If i even like a turbo car. Never enjoyed srt-4's or wrx's. And yes I have driven fast versions of both. Just never enjoyed the feeling of the steering on the srt4- and the wrx's just don't seem fast, they seem well, FAT.

Its my block that will scatter long before the internals give way on my build.

I set mine up with loose PTW clearances, gapped the rings loose (gapped for high boost) , bearings are loose, I know it will be noisy on start up and hopefully quiet down once up to operating temp. time will tell, still have 2 months till i can smog my car and yank out the stock d series engine.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:38 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
I only agree with the last sentence. I have used so many different brand pistons and there are way too many variables to throw out a blanket statement like that. I always pay attention because I hate noise and cold piston slap
Then I can assure you this - you haven't built enough engines then. I CAN throw out a blanket statement from my position. The ill logic that you have is if different bores, piston to wall clearances, strokes, ect were compared against each other, one may get quiter. That is an obvious fact. When the engine is 100% the same setup, the CP's will be noisier than most.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wiseco/eagle or cp/eagle
Old 03-11-2013, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Loud is a relative term.
Relative, not subjective?
Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r
Relative, not subjective?
Nit pick all you want, different generations different sayings. Add something useful to the thread and then criticize me punk. There will always be different ways to say the same thing. Part of the American language.

Relative - adjective = not absolute
Old 03-11-2013, 10:34 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most forged pistons are loud when cold, regardless of p2w (unless you have really tight clearances, which is normally a no no) that's the nature of the beast, given the various alloys pistons are made of. Normally any noise goes away when oil and coolant temps reach operation range, I'd you still have noise then you either have a large p2w or low expansion pistons, or both.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nit pick all you want, different generations different sayings. Add something useful to the thread and then criticize me punk.
Coming from you this is comical. Just because you're older than dirt doesn't make you any less of a punk than the 14 year old gang bangers that live here in Chicago. Perhaps you just need a friend to talk to, what's eating you Gilbert Grape? As for adding something useful, I just went with recommendations of Mike Laskey(Pauter rods/CP pistons) who is someone people would probably prefer hearing from than you.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Then I can assure you this - you haven't built enough engines then. I CAN throw out a blanket statement from my position. The ill logic that you have is if different bores, piston to wall clearances, strokes, ect were compared against each other, one may get quiter. That is an obvious fact. When the engine is 100% the same setup, the CP's will be noisier than most.

Neither of us have any clue how many engines you or I built, so stop the bs. Two exact same setups except pistons and the cp's will be louder? Can you give me the reasons why this is? There is no tech in your reasoning, just sounds like i'm older been there done that nonsense.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:11 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

You kids need to stop assuming I am trying to overpower you with age. I am just saying (as I have said before) I have engines as we speak running in ARCA, NASCAR, NHRA, and many other racing affiliations. There is only one person on Honda-Tech who knows who I am and what I am about. You can take the advice from whomever you want. I could care less. I also couldn't care less if you never heard of me either. I am not here to promote any shop, company, market or what have you. I try to stay "hip" on what is current in the forgiegn department. Enough about me, back on topic...

I must admit, it has been some time since I have used CP pistons (since they use to break apart = junk), but I can assure you they were ALWAYS louder than MOST. I didn't say ALL. What would the technical reason be? Not sure, I don't sit there and send out every piston to have a metallurgy test ran or batch test multiple orders to make sure they are up to specifications.

You guys are acting like I slaughtered your newborn or something. Nobody here has came up with a good counter post; only drama injection to try to sway the topic off course. Its OK if you don't know something, even I will admit when I don't. Stop acting like school children.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well you come in a thread shooting down pistons that many of us had great success with on a variety of applications. I have had the pistons chip off little thin spots between the valve relief and outside diameter. This was disappointing and they later revised the pistons on smaller bore b series so it was no longer there. Aside from this I have had great experience with these, so when somebody questions them or says they're no good all I ask is WHY. And i'd hope that it could be a mature discussion, not a "I build nascar motors listen to me beat my chest" kind of crap

On a side note I have had these pistons have no noticable slap on K20's and SR20, both shelf pistons at CP recommended ptw
Old 03-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Runnerdown
Neither of us have any clue how many engines you or I built, so stop the bs. Two exact same setups except pistons and the cp's will be louder? Can you give me the reasons why this is? There is no tech in your reasoning, just sounds like i'm older been there done that nonsense.
LMFAO ----- You have no no clue as to how many engines you have built? either its in the thousands or zero....
Old 03-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Read the first sentence again...slowly, wise guy.