Notices

failed smog w/ Greddy kit- please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 05:45 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default failed smog w/ Greddy kit- please help!

I recently got my smog check done on my 97 Civic EX w/stock D16Y8, Greddy SOHC turbo kit (B.O.V. was taken off) with an Eclipse SMIC. I unfortunately failed the sniffer test. Here are my numbers...

15MPH- HC...measured 101 (max 66) CO...measured .48 (max .57) NOx...measured 1786 (max 487)

25 MPH- HC...measured 52 (max 49) CO...measured .12 (max .55) NOx...measured 119 (max 774)

Ok, to prepare for the smog check I disconnected the wastegate rod on my kit and took off the blue box so the kit wouldn't hit boost and the stock ECU was controlling the fuel delivery. I also have a carsound cat. Does anyone have any ideas what these numbers point the trouble to? I might have an exhaust leak b/c one of the two exhaust bolts that connect the downpipe to the cat fell off. Could that affect the results this adversely? I don't understand how I can pass everything on the 25 mph test except the HC being only 3ppm over while failing the 15MPH tests so bad. Any suggestions? I'm considering changing back to the stock cat, would that help? Do the numbers above indicate I have a bad cat? Oh, is there any way the smog tech can affect the outcome because the tech I had seemed pretty clueless and had A LOT of trouble keeping the car at a steady RPM & speed. My registration is due in a matter of days. If someone can provide me with any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks alot!
Old 05-19-2003, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: failed smog w/ Greddy kit- please help! (HENRY)

the turbo probably fried the cat and clogged it good...get a new one installed for like 100 bucks and ur good to go
Old 05-19-2003, 05:59 PM

Default Re: failed smog w/ Greddy kit- please help! (eg6turbo)

move to iowa. Cops dont even think about cats
Old 05-19-2003, 06:02 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the turbo probably fried the cat and clogged it good...get a new one installed for like 100 bucks and ur good to go</TD></TR></TABLE>

But why would the 25mph test come within 3ppm of passing while the 15mph test is not even close? I still have the stock cat, should I just replace the carsound?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well ur car is runing too rich at idle and when ur running it burns off and the cat heats up more....u could get an afc to lean it out to pass smog lol...
Old 05-19-2003, 06:31 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well ur car is runing too rich at idle and when ur running it burns off and the cat heats up more....u could get an afc to lean it out to pass smog lol...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Also just get a new Carsound, they're only ~$100 and if it's burnt it's probably hurting your performance.
Old 05-20-2003, 07:08 AM
New User

Default Re: failed smog w/ Greddy kit- please help! (mey_xanng)

Any other opinions???
Old 05-20-2003, 09:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HENRY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recently got my smog check done on my 97 Civic EX w/stock D16Y8, Greddy SOHC turbo kit (B.O.V. was taken off) with an Eclipse SMIC. I unfortunately failed the sniffer test. Here are my numbers...

15MPH- HC...measured 101 (max 66) CO...measured .48 (max .57) NOx...measured 1786 (max 487)

25 MPH- HC...measured 52 (max 49) CO...measured .12 (max .55) NOx...measured 119 (max 774)

Ok, to prepare for the smog check I disconnected the wastegate rod on my kit and took off the blue box so the kit wouldn't hit boost and the stock ECU was controlling the fuel delivery. I also have a carsound cat. Does anyone have any ideas what these numbers point the trouble to? I might have an exhaust leak b/c one of the two exhaust bolts that connect the downpipe to the cat fell off. Could that affect the results this adversely? I don't understand how I can pass everything on the 25 mph test except the HC being only 3ppm over while failing the 15MPH tests so bad. Any suggestions? I'm considering changing back to the stock cat, would that help? Do the numbers above indicate I have a bad cat? Oh, is there any way the smog tech can affect the outcome because the tech I had seemed pretty clueless and had A LOT of trouble keeping the car at a steady RPM & speed. My registration is due in a matter of days. If someone can provide me with any advice, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks alot! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Um I'm not sure about this but I think you need to have the blue box connected and have at least the stock boost going to pass. I passed with it. I live in NYC but I mean we have pretty tuff emissions laws too.
Old 05-20-2003, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't think you're running rich at 15mph because the CO would also be high. Taken with the low CO and high NOx shows it to be lean misfire, so unburnt HC's are passing into the exhaust. The 25mph readings look like they would be taken care of by the stock catalyst.

If you have an exhaust leak, the O2 and CO2 readings will show how much dilution the exhaust is experiencing -- above a certain level and you'll automatically fail because the results won't be reliable.

You might want to reconnect the blue box since the system was designed with it, and retest. If it alters the ignition and fuel, you may not be getting the compensation the kit requires.
Old 05-20-2003, 12:44 PM
New User

Default Re: (roadrunner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadrunner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think you're running rich at 15mph because the CO would also be high. Taken with the low CO and high NOx shows it to be lean misfire, so unburnt HC's are passing into the exhaust. The 25mph readings look like they would be taken care of by the stock catalyst.

If you have an exhaust leak, the O2 and CO2 readings will show how much dilution the exhaust is experiencing -- above a certain level and you'll automatically fail because the results won't be reliable.

You might want to reconnect the blue box since the system was designed with it, and retest. If it alters the ignition and fuel, you may not be getting the compensation the kit requires.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Thanks for the analysis. So you think there is a lean misfire? I had cheap 87 octane gas at the time of testing, I think I'll get premium and dump in some octane boost as well. Aside from that, I'm going to leave the blue box off because I've never heard of anyone passing the CA smog check with it, only without it. I'm going to put the stock cat back on and then clean out the throttle and intake manifold with a bit of carb cleaner. You think that'll take care of the high NOx and HC?