Notices

F22B DOHC turbo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F22B DOHC turbo questions...

alright guys, i normally wouldnt make a thread for a question like this, but finding accurate info on this engine is a total b****. i have a 5th gen prelude, and boosting a stock block h22 DD seems like a recipe for quick disaster under most circumstances. i know that it can/has been done a lot, so please dont tell me that. its just not something that i want to mess with if i dont have to. ringlands seem to always blow sooner or later. so my question is, is boosting the f22b dohc a good alternative to the h22? its apparently nearly identical to the usdm h23a1, with the exception of the sleeves being iron instead of FRM, and from what ive read, the compression is 9.2:1 - 9.3:1 (different sources give different numbers). do the iron liners only benefit/matter if youre putting in forged internals, or do they actually help keep heat down and help prevent other turbo related disasters? my other question is, with it being an f series block, why is the compression the same as the h23a1? the compression obviously doesnt come from the head, so would that mean that it has the same H series pistons as the h23, and is that a problem? again, what im asking is whether this engine is more reliable/smarter to boost (in stock form) compared to an h22/h23. on paper it seems like its a great engine to boost, but everything just seems kinda sketchy to me. id rather ask now then make a thread in 2 months asking you guys why my car wont start. guys with this engine definitely let me know what you think about it. ANY real info on the engine is appreciated. thanks for the time guys.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: F22B DOHC turbo questions...

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
alright guys, i normally wouldnt make a thread for a question like this, but finding accurate info on this engine is a total b****. i have a 5th gen prelude, and boosting a stock block h22 DD seems like a recipe for quick disaster under most circumstances. i know that it can/has been done a lot, so please dont tell me that. its just not something that i want to mess with if i dont have to. ringlands seem to always blow sooner or later. so my question is, is boosting the f22b dohc a good alternative to the h22? Its non-vtec so its not an alternative to the H22. Its a h23 alternative. Use the block and throw the H22 head on it...

its apparently nearly identical to the usdm h23a1, with the exception of the sleeves being iron instead of FRM, and from what ive read, the compression is 9.2:1 - 9.3:1 (different sources give different numbers). do the iron liners only benefit/matter if youre putting in forged internals, or do they actually help keep heat down and help prevent other turbo related disasters?
I would go with forged pistons.....the stock pistons are still cast

my other question is, with it being an f series block, why is the compression the same as the h23a1? the compression obviously doesnt come from the head, so would that mean that it has the same H series pistons as the h23, and is that a problem?
Compression doesnt come from the head? What about combustion chamber volume? It does not have the same Pistons as a H23. The F22's are 86mm bore. H23 are 87mm

again, what im asking is whether this engine is more reliable/smarter to boost (in stock form) compared to an h22/h23. on paper it seems like its a great engine to boost, but everything just seems kinda sketchy to me. id rather ask now then make a thread in 2 months asking you guys why my car wont start. guys with this engine definitely let me know what you think about it. ANY real info on the engine is appreciated. thanks for the time guys.
its not necessarily going to be more reliable, nor smarter. Its all dependent on how you build and tune.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it is still an alternative to the h22. either way its an engine that fits in a 5th gen prelude. i read that the compression difference between the f22a/bx and the f22b is not due to the head, thats what i was trying to eliminate that. so youre basically saying that even though it has a semi low CR and iron sleeves, its still no "safer" to boost than a normal H engine? thanks for the response by the way. anyone with this engine feel free to chime in...
Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it is not necessarily a better boosting engine....stock for stock. Throw in some forged pistons and go for 15PSI no problem. That is the difference.

FRM sleeves are actually stronger than standard Iron sleeves....
Old 07-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sow why not get some mahle pistons and eagle rods in ur h22 and be done.If FRM's are stronger than thats deff. the way to go.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93supercoupe
sow why not get some mahle pistons and eagle rods in ur h22 and be done.If FRM's are stronger than thats deff. the way to go.
Because i was trying to avoid engine work. FRM's might be "stronger", but if i go forged the block will have to be sleeved. im probly looking at close to $2k just for the bottom end. the mahle gold series dont seem like they always do their job. i was just always under the impression that the f series engines were pretty boost happy.

Last edited by H22Honda98; 07-16-2009 at 06:59 PM.