Notices

Exhaust systems on a turbo DC2???

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust systems on a turbo DC2???

What exhaust system is good for a turbo B18C1? I really want the Mugen Twin-Loop exhaust for my DC2 because its quiet and it looks nice..not to mention rare, but I don't know how good it would be on turbocharged car. I was thinking about the HKS Drager cat back exhaust too, but dont know how loud it would be or how it would look like coming out the back of the car.

If you have either of these exhausts, can you post your opinions on them and if possible post a pic, especially if its on a DC2?

Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust systems on a turbo DC2??? (mugenda6)

Thermal 3", Kteller 3", 3" open downpipe
See the trend. . .
Old 11-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Trial User

Thanks, but u still didn't answer my question....I want to know which exhaust would be better for a turbo B18C1......the HKS Drager or the Mugen Twin Loop? Also loudness is a key issue to me.....I like the Mugen better, but don't know if its suitable for forced induction.

Does anyone else know?
Old 11-17-2004, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mugenda6)

Those exhaust you mention piping diameter it not so great for out turbo car, 3 inch is a perfect sizing and Thermal Cat back is a great system. I have no complaint about mine, it a little loud but that is my end im running 3 inch downpipe and connect right to the exhaust system so it suppose to be loud(not loud to the extend you can feel it in your chest) it pretty quite from 0-3000rpm but once you pass that the exhaust get louder and seem to stay at that level till red line. I imagine adding a resonator to it would quite it down dramatically.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thermal is good
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugenda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks, but u still didn't answer my question....I want to know which exhaust would be better for a turbo B18C1......the HKS Drager or the Mugen Twin Loop? Also loudness is a key issue to me.....I like the Mugen better, but don't know if its suitable for forced induction.

Does anyone else know?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, both are not recommended simply because of the amount of backpressure that is created through the piping. With turbo cars you want to eliminate that as much as possible, which is why neither the HKS Drager nor the Twin loop will be as effective. Since the vehicle will be turbocharged, in most circumstances, exhaust tones will be quiter regardless due to the increased flow through the exhaust system. This is not the case with Naturally Aspirated applications. The Thermals actually sound WONDERful, but if you must keep a catalytic converter, there is always the possibility of having a custom 3" piping made and use the muffler of your choice. But with turbo cars, your thinking must change to understand that exhausts play an even MORE important role than with an NA application.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thermal 3", Kteller 3", 3" open downpipe
See the trend. . . </TD></TR></TABLE>

I think what homeboy is trying to say is anything with a 3" pipe diameter is what
you should be looking at J. The Mugen twin loop is to small in diameter 2.38"
and the HKS dragger is too small as well at 2.36".

Old 11-17-2004, 03:54 PM

Default Re: (AllmansDB8)

Hks dragger would probably be better, but still not good for turbo.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:50 PM

if you want to save some cash just get a nice sounding muffler and have an exhaust shop bend and hang you a 3 inch exhaust. no cat or resonator. itl sound good and save cash.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:20 PM
Trial User

Well, I kinda need to have the cat on the car because cops are real a-holes around here. Some go as far as to get under ur car to see if u have a cat or not....so I definitely want a cat-back exhaust......so u guys say a muffler with a 3" pipe? How loud would that be though?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Trial User

What about an RS*R exhaust system? Would that work?
Old 11-18-2004, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have the rsr exmag. It's ****** silent, seriously.
But, when I cap off the 3" open downpipe, and run it through a 2.5" test pipe to the 2.25" rsr exhaust, spool time is raised by 1000rpm's, and I lose about 25hp.

That shows how much of a difference it will make.

Go with a 3" thermal, with a carsound 3" cat. Throw in another resanator too, and when cops are around, just take it easy. Don't go driving around at WOT (even though it's tough with a turbo)
Old 11-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (m R g S r)

i have a 3inch thermal for sale for dc2 with cat hit me up
Old 11-19-2004, 10:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugenda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What exhaust system is good for a turbo B18C1? I really want the Mugen Twin-Loop exhaust for my DC2 because its quiet and it looks nice..not to mention rare, but I don't know how good it would be on turbocharged car. I was thinking about the HKS Drager cat back exhaust too, but dont know how loud it would be or how it would look like coming out the back of the car.

If you have either of these exhausts, can you post your opinions on them and if possible post a pic, especially if its on a DC2?

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugenda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about an RS*R exhaust system? Would that work?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

People are telling you what exhaust would be good for a turbo B18C1, but it seems you dont want to hear what theyre saying. Anything 3" would be way better than the brands you are asking about. The question you have to ask yourself is what is most important to you, sound, price, looks, or making maximum power?
Old 11-20-2004, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive been running the Mugen Twinloop on my ITR since day one. I made over 350whp with the Mugen. With the smaller exhaust you sacrifice spool and power period. Everyone is right , a larger diameter exhaust is better for boost.

scott
Old 11-22-2004, 07:56 AM
Trial User

i do care what people have to say regarding this matter. Thing is I want something that looks nice and gives me maximum power, but I don't want to attract attention from the popo. Where I live, cops see a shiny muffler and they pull u over rightaway....so I dont want a loud exhaust system on my car for the simple fact that I dont want to deal with the harrassment.

I do like the Thermal 3", but my question is...how loud will it be? Cops out here are real *********!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so they will pull you over for a shiny fart can, but not for a huge IC up front?
Old 11-22-2004, 08:41 AM
Trial User

u'll be surprised. Most cops out here dont pay much attention to FMI, but if they see an exhaust that looks like it can be too loud, they'll pounce on you.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the thermal isnt really loud its more of a deep base tone
but yeah its does have a nice shiny exhaust since its stainless steel.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Trial User

do you have a pic of what the thermal looks like?
Old 11-22-2004, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (AznInvasion)

Get a Thermal 3" exhaust or Kteller 3" system, put it on, and if you just can not handle the noise, order a Magnaflow 5" diameter round muffler w/ 3" inlet & outlet. Have it installed right after the cat (use a carsound 3" cat) and it will lower the noise quite a bit.....as a resonator. Plus you will have maximum performance.

And if its to "blingy" WalMart sells black sprat paint for your BBQ thats good to 1600 degrees.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jfoster)

email me for a pic
vtecsol23@hotmail.com
Old 11-22-2004, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cops probably can't tell the difference between a FMI or a stylish grill.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugenda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have a pic of what the thermal looks like?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 11-22-2004, 07:28 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mugenda6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i do care what people have to say regarding this matter. Thing is I want something that looks nice and gives me maximum power, but I don't want to attract attention from the popo. Where I live, cops see a shiny muffler and they pull u over rightaway....so I dont want a loud exhaust system on my car for the simple fact that I dont want to deal with the harrassment.

I do like the Thermal 3", but my question is...how loud will it be? Cops out here are real *********!</TD></TR></TABLE>
The only way youre gonna get maximum power is it has to get louder. More flow=more power=more sound, usually. What you could do is install one of those E cut outs, I think theyre called. Then you could have your car quiet when you see the five o but open it up when you need to.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yoboslayer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yoboslayer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What you could do is install one of those E cut outs, I think theyre called. Then you could have your car quiet when you see the five o but open it up when you need to. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How do these work? Details would be good too, I'm a turbo newb

Quick Reply: Exhaust systems on a turbo DC2???