Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust

If I am making this kind of power with a 2.5 downpipe
275whp and 215tq
<FONT COLOR="green"> EF hb si + stock b18c1 + turbo kit </FONT>

I was thinking about getting the Kteller.com custom 3inch exhaust piping.
Now I orginally wanted just all piping (no resonator, cat, muffler) . But I'm afraid it might be too loud even though the turbo may baffle the sound alittle.

My question is this.
<FONT COLOR="orange">*how much WHP will I loose by getting a 3inch 22' resonator?</FONT>
I think Kteller only sells Magnaflow resonators but not completely sure.
http://www.kteller.com/store/p...d/227

If it's just say 2-3 peak whp then i'll sacrafice it for less noise, but anything affecting power past 4-5 i'd rather tough it out with the load *** exhaust.

Old 07-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (Charlie Moua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I think Kteller only sells Magnaflow resonators but not completely sure.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

magnaflow no make any 3" resonators~
dynomax ownz you with 3"

second, id suggest that you would only lose 1-3 hp all together by running a more streetable setup.

then again, you can go resonatorless at first, see how it is! see your performance gains and sound level.

if at that time you dont think it suits then go back and spend the extra money. but settle at first when you dont reallly know? hard to say its based on preference. we sell 50 3" systems to every 5 that get a resonator with it. so? its kinda touch.. some ppl its a must have, some others say its not bad and they enjoy it!

you can always add in a resonator easy, but to take one out and fill the section is more time and work then you should have to go through
Old 07-14-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (KTeller8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KTeller8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

magnaflow no make any 3" resonators~
dynomax ownz you with 3"

second, id suggest that you would only lose 1-3 hp all together by running a more streetable setup.

you can always add in a resonator easy, but to take one out and fill the section is more time and work then you should have to go through </TD></TR></TABLE>

**cool dynomax it is.... haha

so I take it anyone would loos 1-3 hp all together & doesn't matter if they are pushing <FONT COLOR="red">250whp or 450whp right? </FONT>

Good point about adding in resonators.
What would be more effective in <FONT COLOR="blue"> reducing noise & less loss of power? </FONT> two 3inch 14' resonator vs one 3inch 22' resonator

Old 07-14-2004, 01:06 PM

I've got a dynomax bullet muffler as a resonator. It was like $25-30 from summit racing. I'm also running the Kteller 3" piping to a magnaflow 3" muffler. It's a little loud sometimes...but my interior is gutted. I imagine it'd be alot quieter with a back seat or something to muffle the noise a little. I picked up some nice power switching from 2.25 to 3", but I haven't dyno'd since...so I have no idea what I gained.
Old 07-14-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (99blusi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blusi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've got a dynomax bullet muffler as a resonator. It was like $25-30 from summit racing. I'm also running the Kteller 3" piping to a magnaflow 3" muffler. It's a little loud sometimes...but my interior is gutted. I imagine it'd be alot quieter with a back seat or something to muffle the noise a little. I picked up some nice power switching from 2.25 to 3", but I haven't dyno'd since...so I have no idea what I gained.</TD></TR></TABLE>

please share your setup....
also how much of gains did you get from 2.25 to 3?
(i only ask cause i was thinking about the greddy sp2 which is 2.3inch... hehe )
Old 07-14-2004, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://magnaflow.com/02product/pack.htm

wouldn't the magnapack be considered a resonator? cuz they have a 3in for that
Old 07-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (u2civic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by u2civic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://magnaflow.com/02product/pack.htm

wouldn't the magnapack be considered a resonator? cuz they have a 3in for that</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah..... and also i got this off there
<FONT COLOR="skyblue"> Magnapack features a high polished stainless steel case with sized necks, a perforated core wrapped with stainless steel mesh and a packing of acoustical absorbing fiber. Magnapack gives you that 50's performance sound.</FONT>

-what does 50's performace sound like?... deep like a glass-pack?
-is this a good or bad thing over regular DYNOMAX ?
Old 07-14-2004, 04:10 PM

The turbo spools much faster. 5psi now feels like 7psi used to. It's really a noticeable difference. Generally, it just doesn't feel like I'm struggling to get into boost...it's right there.

here's the muffler I used as the resonator...
http://store.summitracing.com/...02177

It was loud as hell with just that on there, so I ordered the rear muffler from Kteller.com It's the ES lookalike with 3" inlet/outlet.
Old 07-15-2004, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blusi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The turbo spools much faster. 5psi now feels like 7psi used to. It's really a noticeable difference. Generally, it just doesn't feel like I'm struggling to get into boost...it's right there.

here's the muffler I used as the resonator...
http://store.summitracing.com/...02177

It was loud as hell with just that on there, so I ordered the rear muffler from Kteller.com It's the ES lookalike with 3" inlet/outlet. </TD></TR></TABLE>

does your resonator inside look like dynomax's?
is it as free flowing?

how many do you have on now?...is it still loud?
how much whp are you making?
Old 07-15-2004, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

going from smaller to larger exhaust will usually drop your low end and give you a gain in hp/top end. how much power you will lose/gain all depends on your setup and how much boost you'll be running. running a larger exhaust will also increase boost levels by freeing up exhaust flow. so beware...lol. j/k charlie.

if you really want quiet...get a 3" Cat and you'll have a quiet *** exhaust. but you'll lose a few horses on the way.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (shermanyang)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shermanyang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">going from smaller to larger exhaust will usually drop your low end and give you a gain in hp/top end. how much power you will lose/gain all depends on your setup and how much boost you'll be running. running a larger exhaust will also increase boost levels by freeing up exhaust flow. so beware...lol. j/k charlie.

if you really want quiet...get a 3" Cat and you'll have a quiet *** exhaust. but you'll lose a few horses on the way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks sherman.
check sig for goals.
<FONT COLOR="red"> Mission.... stock b18c + apexi turbo kit + Uberdata
235whp and 175tq @ 7psi
280whp and 205tq @ 10psi
300whp and 230tq @ 12-13psi </FONT>

My apexi downpipe is 2.50....
should i go for
2.50 with NO cat & 1 (14") resonator
2.75 with NO cat & 1 (22") resonator
or
3inch with NO cat 1 (14') resonator

want it to be super quite & yet free flowing.... And I'd be happy to have it just slightly less loud as yours Sherman
Old 07-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-16-2004, 08:41 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I would go 2.75 w/a 14" or 22" resonator
I am not shure how much diffrence the resonators will make. Ask around FIRST.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (si2die4)

I'm not sure a 22" resonator would fit on your ef...

I just put a 3" Kteller exhaust with 3" catco cat, 3"x14" resonator and 3" es "style" (magnaflow) muffler on my CRX w/b18c1. The 14" SS resonator barely fit.

I'm not sure but the hb might have a little more room behind the "S" bend, before the 90 at the gas tank, but I'm not sure.

It isnt loud at all if you are driving normally (mind you I dont have a turbo on it yet). It does however get loud when you get on it.

You could always but a 2nd resonator where the cat would go if the sound is still too loud for you.

IMO the kteller kit w/cat,res and es muffler is not too loud.
Old 07-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Charlie Moua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
-what does 50's performace sound like?... deep like a glass-pack?
-is this a good or bad thing over regular DYNOMAX ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

ahha 50's performance sound.. mustangs and james dean ~

Charlie Moua, ive put in a request to my magnaflow rep bout some of those magnapacks. to see what cost and availabity is~

anything new will be added to the site!
Old 07-16-2004, 02:35 PM
New User

thanks sherman.
check sig for goals.
<FONT COLOR="red"> Mission.... stock b18c + apexi turbo kit + Uberdata
235whp and 175tq @ 7psi
280whp and 205tq @ 10psi
300whp and 230tq @ 12-13psi </FONT>

My apexi downpipe is 2.50....
should i go for
2.50 with NO cat & 1 (14") resonator
2.75 with NO cat & 1 (22") resonator
or
3inch with NO cat 1 (14') resonator

want it to be super quite & yet free flowing.... And I'd be happy to have it just slightly less loud as yours Sherman </TD></TR></TABLE>

on question. How is the apexi turbo's internal wastegate in regulating boost? if its anything like the greddy kit then i would caution you on putting a large free flowing exhaust and no cat. you may get boost spike like a ****.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (psileepR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by psileepR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

on question. How is the apexi turbo's internal wastegate in regulating boost? if its anything like the greddy kit then i would caution you on putting a large free flowing exhaust and no cat. you may get boost spike like a ****. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i still have to address that.
it should hold fine upto abuot 10psi.

anything more than that i can get a old ford T-brid arm (must boost min of 10psi & holds good for 18.. if the turbo doesn't max out hheeh )

or else get a custome one made.... (i forgot which turbo place offers where i just send it my turbo and they make one for me less that $60)

Old 07-16-2004, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (TrueNorthStar)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TrueNorthStar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not sure a 22" resonator would fit on your ef...

I just put a 3" Kteller exhaust with 3" catco cat, 3"x14" resonator and 3" es "style" (magnaflow) muffler on my CRX w/b18c1. The 14" SS resonator barely fit.

I'm not sure but the hb might have a little more room behind the "S" bend, before the 90 at the gas tank, but I'm not sure.

It isnt loud at all if you are driving normally (mind you I dont have a turbo on it yet). It does however get loud when you get on it.

You could always but a 2nd resonator where the cat would go if the sound is still too loud for you.

IMO the kteller kit w/cat,res and es muffler is not too loud.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is your number... i'll call you and if you could rev or drive your car over the phone for me... (seriousely)
also can you take a picture of your piping and how you freaken put a ES muffler on?

I reallly wanted the es muffler but though it wouldn't fit...... PLEASE help me since you have done it.

Old 07-16-2004, 11:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what is your number... i'll call you and if you could rev or drive your car over the phone for me... (seriousely)
also can you take a picture of your piping and how you freaken put a ES muffler on?

I reallly wanted the es muffler but though it wouldn't fit...... PLEASE help me since you have done it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha rev over the phone lol.. great stuff.. like that porshe commerical

Charlie.. go here:

http://www.kteller.com and then click featured cars link.. you ll see a few cars with the oval on them!
Old 07-17-2004, 01:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (KTeller8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KTeller8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

haha rev over the phone lol.. great stuff.. like that porshe commerical

Charlie.. go here:

http://www.kteller.com and then click featured cars link.. you ll see a few cars with the oval on them!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know what they (es oval) look like. I wanted to see the underchassie to see how they ran the piping since I THOUGHT it would never fit on the driverside exit for a EF.

I also wanted to see the location where the resonators were located on his setup.

Old 07-17-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here are a few pics, looks like I'm going to have to jack my car up if you wana see the resonator

This is the first time I ever tried to weld pipe with a TIG welder I just bought from a friend. So go easy on the welding

Burns Stainless 3" V-Band

I have the full size pics if ya want them still Mike.

Modified by TrueNorthStar at 8:26 PM 7/17/2004
Old 07-17-2004, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (TrueNorthStar)

tat crx looks good bro .. V_band
Old 07-17-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Re: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust (project dc2)

I think you should get a resonator. I have a 2.5 DP, 3" CAT, 3" Mandrel Bent Piping, and a 3" Magnaflow Race Muffler. At idle its quiet, but give it gas and its unabrebly loud. Even under 3,000 RPM its super deep and embarissingly loud. Im definately gonna get a resonator in the near future.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow nice job! good pictures
Old 07-17-2004, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (KTeller8)

wow great pictures..

so you had to til it that way...
I was hoping you were able to mounted the "normal" way like how it works on EG/EK/DC granted just on the other side of the car.

how does it sound?..
i wanna hear it.

Also any shot of the underchassie? How many resonators are you running?

Quick Reply: Exhaust question RE: resonator flow of 3inch exhaust