Notices

Exhaust Manifold Design

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 08:41 AM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Manifold Design

First off, the picture below is not my car it's only for reference.

What would be a better way of creating a collector with the 2 pipe setup shown in the picture? Would it be:
1.) Keep each bank of the motor seperate as shown using 2.5" piping or
2.) Merge both into a single 2.5" pipe?

If merged, I would think about doing it so that the far side pipe transitions into the close pipe at the 90* bend by the zip ties. This would make for (2) 2.5" pipes off each manifold and then it goes into (1) pipe just before the turbine housing. If it matters in your decision process the size of the engine is 6.2L.
Attached Images  
Old 12-21-2015, 09:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I would cut them at 7 degree angle merge em together

Or if its a divided turbine housing then keep em separate
Old 12-21-2015, 10:34 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: Exhaust Manifold Design

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
I would cut them at 7 degree angle merge em together

Or if its a divided turbine housing then keep em separate
The turbo hasn't been finalized yet, but I'm 90% sure I'll be using an undivided Tial GT42 turbine housing.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:34 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your best bet will be to merge them together with a fairly shallow angle collector.

That setup is going to be incredibly sensitive to wastegate priority so start the merge a little early, come off the collector with a length of pipe preferably with a slight bend to it, and put the wastegate on the bend inline with the exhaust gases. Although you're going to need a fairly large single gate depending on boost pressure, probably 60mm.

From what I've seen with all of my FD Pro buddies refining their single turbo LS setups they've seen much more stable boost control by running 2 wastegates, one on each bank, with as much wastegate priority as possible.
Old 12-21-2015, 12:01 PM
BCICAN

Originally Posted by wantboost
Your best bet will be to merge them together with a fairly shallow angle collector.

That setup is going to be incredibly sensitive to wastegate priority so start the merge a little early, come off the collector with a length of pipe preferably with a slight bend to it, and put the wastegate on the bend inline with the exhaust gases. Although you're going to need a fairly large single gate depending on boost pressure, probably 60mm.

From what I've seen with all of my FD Pro buddies refining their single turbo LS setups they've seen much more stable boost control by running 2 wastegates, one on each bank, with as much wastegate priority as possible.
I do plan to use a 60mm gate. I also plan to basically create a "Y" in the piping where 1 side goes to the wastegate and the other to the turbine....instead of doing a 90* off the piping for the wastegate. I figured that would give as much priority to the wastegate as possible. I will also be recirculating it back into the downpipe.

Boost will be in the 8-12 psi range. Power will be in the 5-600whp range which I think 10-12psi will get them there.

Using (2) 44mm's wouldn't be too difficult either. Though merging those back into the downpipe would be more difficult than a single 60. I could branch off each individual pipe and put a 44 before the pipes merge into one. That would give me an extra 15% capacity over the 60mm if my math is right. You think having 1 44 on each pipe would be a better idea than 1 60 on the merged pipe (all things being equal in terms of wastegate priority?) I'm guessing that's a stupid question though...more couldn't be a bad thing.