Notices

exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmar boost controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmart boost controller

i have a turbosmart e-boost boost controller. it has an auxillary output that they suggest cna be used to activate nitrous, water spray/ injection at a desired boost level. i was wondering if this same output would be capable of opening an electronic exhaust cut out.
my concernts are that the button for the cut out needs to be held down for a few seconds, and the voltage/ amp needed.
also are diffrent brands of exhaust cutouts better than others?

Modified by downeyballz at 7:13 PM 8/30/2005

Modified by downeyballz at 7:13 PM 8/30/2005

Modified by downeyballz at 5:09 AM 8/31/2005
Old 08-30-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmary boost controller (downeyballz)

Opening with a relay wouldnt be a problem...but how would you close it?
Old 08-31-2005, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmary boost controller (xenocron)

well im hoping it would close when im out of boost. im not sure where i would find this out.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:35 AM

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmary boost controller (downeyballz)

Opening and closing of a e-cutout is too slow

as soon as you hit boost, the output would fire the relay and start opening the cutout...it would take 3-5 seconds to open fully. in 3-5 seconds you would be out of boost already...

You are looking for an instant solution and there really isnt one.

There is some sort of exhaust butterly valve that responds to boost pressure (i forget whats its called) but IMO it doesnt offer any real benefits in that the whole purpose of an open exhaust is to decrease spool time which neither of these solutions would do
Old 08-31-2005, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmary boost controller (xenocron)

is there a faster opening cut out, or can the motor be replaced?
Old 08-31-2005, 06:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by downeyballz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is there a faster opening cut out, or can the motor be replaced?</TD></TR></TABLE>

think about how much abuse that part takes (heat, lots of it, constantly)

for someone to engineer a part like that would be way too costly in my estimation...or someone would have done it already
Old 08-31-2005, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well you said the cutout takes too ong to open (4 sec on the website). this problem would only occour in first gear when racing. i dont see this as being too much of a problem because lots of boost isnt exactly helping traction, so the boost coming on slower in first grear wile the cutout is opeing could acually help performance. from there it will just stay open because you would constantly be in boost.
the other time this situation would occour is on the highway or street driving when you would downshift to pass and go into boost. this might cause a problem with it opening too slowly, but i dont think it would be too much of a problem because its only street driving and how fast would you need to accelerate any way.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the reason im intrested in getting a cut out is because my the new car i just bough has a 2.25" exhaust. it is well made and i really like the mellow tone of the muffler (flowmaster), it doesnt drone at all and the exhaust has a cat which will help me with emissions. its also very quiet. this exhasut has all of the qualities i want, except the flow requirment for turbo.
if i go with a full 3" like i did on my last car i would want to go cat less to help performance and cost less. but this will create a problem with emissions come around. i also dont like the way a full 3" strait through drones on the highway, even with a cat and a quiet muffler (i had a full 3" car, 18" resonator and dynomax superturbo muffler) so a e-cutout seems to be a solution, and its much cheaper and easier that building a new exhaust.
my only concern with the e-cutout is it leaking and sounding like ****. alos if its even possible to open it with my boost controller.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmart boost controller (downeyballz)

whats you are looking for is the VES on http://www.atpturbo.com
Old 08-31-2005, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmart boost controller (nickromeo)

well my electronic boost controller is capable of sending the signal to an e-cutout, so that would open it when i go into boost, insted of using the wastgate design. i perfer using my boost controller because it lets me set when it cut out woutl open and change it when ever i want insted of using a spring and running vac lines.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmart boost controller (downeyballz)

You want too much and no one has what you want...thats all i can say
Old 08-31-2005, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know. but imho the the best feature of having a cutout in an exhaust of a turbocharged car is the fact that u ccan open it and since there is less load againt the turbo it will spool up faster.

waiting for boost to hit then opening up the cutout really seems like only taking advantage of having better "performace" when already in boost.

plus most electonric cut outs take time to open. as said earlier.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=downeyballz]the reason im intrested in getting a cut out is because my the new car i just bough has a 2.25" exhaust. it is well made and i really like the mellow tone of the muffler (flowmaster), it doesnt drone at all and the exhaust has a cat which will help me with emissions.

what will the emisions people say about ur cutout? anyways, theres gotta be a good manual one.
Old 08-31-2005, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmary boost controller (jayman322)

in connecticut the emission stations dont even look under your car, the just stick something in the tailpipe and put it on the dyno. the car is also obd1 so theres no need to plug it in or anything. and if there were a problem i could just through a stock header on and it would bolt right up.

and what do you mean when you say theres gotta be a good manual one
Old 08-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the issue im having now is that the boost controller sends a constant signal wile its in boost and cuts that signal when the car is not in boost.
the electronic cut outs require you to hold a switch for 4 seconds compleating the circut wile the butterfly opens, and then let go after its open. then repeate the same process to close it.
my concern with this is the boost controller will send a constant circut that will keep the cutout motor running. this wont close the cut out when the car is out of boost. it will simply leave the cut out open until the next time you go into boost and another signal is sent by the boost controller.
any solutions?
is ther a type of time delay i could wire in, or a diffrent type of motor?
Old 09-01-2005, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 09-05-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for anyone with info/ experince
Old 09-05-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you could build a cutout using a servo with a relay it would open instantly...some of the servo's i use in my gas powered planes are extremely strong and fast and return to original position when powered is removed....you need something like that
Old 09-05-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmart boost controller (2k.civic.si)

A single 2.25" flowbastard is totally killing the performance of your car.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/mufflerswap.php

There's the effect of dual 2.5" flowmasters on a 320 RWHP car. 20 RWHP gained by going to dual 2.5" exhaust, you're losing a lot of power with that terrible chambered muffler.

What 3" setup did you have that drones? I run a big resonator and an Apex'I N1 with no cat and there is absolutely no drone at all. When I get on it it's a bit loud, but it's no worse than a catback on a stock civic. If you're worried about emissions, throw a couple V-band connections in there around the test pipe so you can throw a cat on it for emissions time.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmart boost controller (2k.civic.si)

where would i find a servo and realay, i know hardly anything about electronics, so any info you have would help
Old 09-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmart boost controller (boosted92)

i really like the sound of the flowmaster and it was already on the car when i bought it with a 2.25" exhaust w/ cat and resonator. this exhaust just passed emissions so i know it will work. i also dont think it hurts flow all that much i know chambered muffler are more restrictive, but its not going to make a diffrence in the low end and at the high end where it will be a problem the e-cutout will be open (hopefully if i can figure everyting out).

that mustang test wasnt fair. because they were comparing a 10yr old flowmaster with shitty stock piping, to dual 2.5" mandrel bent pipes with a new muffler.

the exhaust i have on my other car is 3" kteller pipes, 18" reasanator, 3" carsound cat, and 3" dynomax muffler. it kinda drones on the highway, but this could be because the car is n/a now and its a del sol which isnt too great with sound deadning anyway.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it's called a momentary switch from radio shack. I understand you want fully automatic operation, but as was stated earlier, it doesn't look promising. You hold it for 4 seconds before you race, and voila! open exhaust.
-josh-
Old 09-05-2005, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmart boost controller (AMkrew_1)

the reason i need automatic opening is so the boost controller will be opening it and it sends a constan signal not a 4 sec one. its not because i dont want to hold down a switch.
i also am thinking that if the cut out only open when the car is in boost it will make tuning easier and more dead on, because you cant really tune a car to have a 2.25" exhaust and open exhaust and expect it to run perfect for both without having two chips.
Old 09-06-2005, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for pics of how to wire this thing
Old 09-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump, anyone know what i can reshearch, or a store that could help me out

Quick Reply: exhaust cut out controlled by turbosmar boost controller