Notices

Which exhaust is best for my TURBO LS? Best and cheapest?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which exhaust is best for my TURBO LS? Best and cheapest?

Ok what exhaust should I run on my turbo ls? Brief overview of turbo plans: Junkyard turbo-garret tbo343 most likely, 8-10 psi max, uberdata, dsm 450's, intercooled.... should I just run 3" piping for all my intercooler and intake piping, then run 3" exhaust? OR 2.5" exhaust? I was thinkgin 2.5" straight pipe exhaust, no high flow cat, no muffler. Will this sound good or like ****? Can I get opinions on a setup that would not hinder the power, and sound ok? For little $$$
Old 09-27-2003, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which exhaust is best for my TURBO LS? Best and cheapest? (94lsboost)

dude you've seriously shown a lack of search function useage.

search. this has been covered 817439071461387 times.
Old 09-27-2003, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Which exhaust is best for my TURBO LS? Best and cheapest? (94lsboost)

just run a 60mm. 2.25" intercooler piping all around. you'll be fine if that's all your going to boost

Modified by mamaboy at 7:24 PM 9/27/2003
Old 09-30-2003, 11:53 AM

ok i've looked around and havent found an answer i like, so please dont say "SEARCH".... i have... I am considering 2.5", maybe 3" straight pipe, with a weld on muffler...(magnaflow?, bombz?) i need to know if this setup will help/hurt flow/hp? and if it's a decent setup reccommend me a muffler, also should i use a high flow cat, or resonator? ** sound/emissions is no prob where i live
Old 09-30-2003, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which exhaust is best for my TURBO LS? Best and cheapest? (untensadude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by untensadude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude you've seriously shown a lack of search function useage.

search. this has been covered 817439071461387 times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That many times huh?? hehe

Go 2.5" exhaust. That's good for the amount of boost you are seeing. If you have no emmissions and dno't care for the environment much, put a resonator in there, or testpipe.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:22 PM

2.5" mandrel bent piping from the downpipe would be your best exhaust. otherwise replace the stock cat w/ a test pipe http://www.accordinglydone.com...id=79 and just buy the exhaust piping from there too while you are at it. kick *** exhaust for $200+
Old 09-30-2003, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (bigwig)

open downpipe.....
Old 09-30-2003, 07:38 PM

Default Re: (greekspeed)

oh yea but if you are trying to spend that much just do the open dp or the straight pipe. sorry soo many post me
Old 09-30-2003, 07:39 PM

ic piping use 2.25"
Old 09-30-2003, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For exhaust I say go for a full 3", no cat if possible, from the turbo back. If you cant fit a 3" downpipe and are forced to have a smaller diameter immediately after the turbo, start going to 3" as soon as you can on the system. You may want to run more boost one day and this will only help. 2.5" will start to restrict flow with higher boost.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Which exhaust is best for my TURBO LS? Best and cheapest? (highmilehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highmilehatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For exhaust I say go for a full 3", no cat if possible, from the turbo back. If you cant fit a 3" downpipe and are forced to have a smaller diameter immediately after the turbo, start going to 3" as soon as you can on the system. You may want to run more boost one day and this will only help. 2.5" will start to restrict flow with higher boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with highmilehatch
Old 10-01-2003, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Which exhaust is best for my TURBO LS? Best and cheapest? (boosted eg)

ok so just do 3" pipe pretty much everywhere? would that be best? for the intercooler piping and all....then run 3" all the way back, no cat. What about a muffler? should i run no muffler also? Or pick up a bomz or something like that? I have heard that turbo cars with 3" exhaust and no cat/muffler sound pretty mean...anyone????
Old 10-01-2003, 08:48 AM

Default Re: (greekspeed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by greekspeed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">open downpipe..... </TD></TR></TABLE>

i was waiting for that responce...... Best Exhaust for a turbo is No Exhaust......
Old 10-01-2003, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an Apexi N1 full cat back for sale that will fit right up to that if interested.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:56 AM

3" is too big...you will end up making less hp since you are boosting only 10 psi...i really suggest 2.5"...and muffler is not necessary...or suggested...really the turbo acts like a muffler...
Old 10-01-2003, 08:58 AM

ok so for 10 psi 2.5 inch piping everywhere would be best? w/no cat no muffler?
Old 10-01-2003, 08:59 AM

3" is not too big and you will make more power and spool faster with it. Who ever told you its too big is lying to you.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i made 295whp on 8psi with the exhaust on . on the new motor i was pushing around 400 to the wheels with the exahasut on on 12 psi . tihs is 2.5 inch Apexi N1. it cant be that bad
Old 10-01-2003, 09:04 AM

Default Re: (itr206)

And what are you running now and why? I'm sure when you upgraded you got better spool and probably gained power. the goal with a turbo exhaust system is zero back pressure. if 2.5" gives you that then great.. if it takes 4" that that is what you need.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Overblown-Teg)

the car isnt a street car now so i took the exhaust off and im gonn a run stright off the turbo out the fender. less weight. and yes the spool up will be a little better.
is this guy looking for 500-600hp? if he's looking for moderate boost 2.5 will work fine , my spool on a t3-04e 60 trim intake side and 82 ex side started spool under 3k and full spool at like 4600 or so wit the exhaust on . \
some of the thing speople preach here are overrated in my eyes.
matter of fact on lower boost levels i lost hp from opening up the exhaust.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:10 AM

A 3" exhaust gains are going to depend on how much boost pressure you are running. The less boost pressure, the more the wastegate is bleeding the exhaust gas/energy from the system. When this occurs there is less exhaust gas placed onto the turbine blade, and exited through the turbine housing. The less exhaust gas, the less backpressure built up inside of the exhaust system. Backpressure in a turbine housing is attributed to the exhaust gas going from very turbulent situation exiting the blades, and meeting a small diameter piping. The small piping limits how quickly the exhaust gas is allowed to turn to laminar, or smoother flowing. Back pressure builds up due to the smaller diameter of the piping, and causes a bottle neck after the turbine blade. This is the restriction that will make you loose horsepower since you cannot dispense the gases quick enough. The more boost pressure you run, the more you need a larger diameter exhaust. So to answer your question correctly, the amount of horsepower you'll gain is directly attributed to the boost pressure you are running. Gains from 5whp (lower boost levels) to 40-50whp (high boost levels) can be found depending on which size diameter piping you are upgrading from. The et's will drop corresponding to the horsepower increase.

This is by Jeff Evans...aka boosted hybrid...i trust his word

so pretty much 5whp for going 3" and a lot more headaches b/c its a harder pipe to run....i would go 2.5"...save $5 and less headaches w/ the DP
Old 10-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigwig &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A 3" exhaust gains are going to depend on how much boost pressure you are running. The less boost pressure, the more the wastegate is bleeding the exhaust gas/energy from the system. When this occurs there is less exhaust gas placed onto the turbine blade, and exited through the turbine housing. The less exhaust gas, the less backpressure built up inside of the exhaust system. Backpressure in a turbine housing is attributed to the exhaust gas going from very turbulent situation exiting the blades, and meeting a small diameter piping. The small piping limits how quickly the exhaust gas is allowed to turn to laminar, or smoother flowing. Back pressure builds up due to the smaller diameter of the piping, and causes a bottle neck after the turbine blade. This is the restriction that will make you loose horsepower since you cannot dispense the gases quick enough. The more boost pressure you run, the more you need a larger diameter exhaust. So to answer your question correctly, the amount of horsepower you'll gain is directly attributed to the boost pressure you are running. Gains from 5whp (lower boost levels) to 40-50whp (high boost levels) can be found depending on which size diameter piping you are upgrading from. The et's will drop corresponding to the horsepower increase.

This is by Jeff Evans...aka boosted hybrid...i trust his word

so pretty much 5whp for going 3" and a lot more headaches b/c its a harder pipe to run....i would go 2.5"...save $5 and less headaches w/ the DP</TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree with thatbecuase i have tested it on the dyno and the track in diff set ups.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:16 AM

HEHE.. this forum cracks me up..
Old 10-01-2003, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

please explain on what you diagree with, if you mean to tell me you will always gain with bigger piping,/less abck pressure that is an ignorant guess and i can prove you wrong with dyno results.
Old 10-01-2003, 09:39 AM

i agree w/ itr...it even makes sense logically...3" exhaust is ncessary for lets say 15psi...but 10 2.5" will be fine. it will be more than fine...it will be excellent.

Quick Reply: Which exhaust is best for my TURBO LS? Best and cheapest?