Notices

Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup?

I have a d16y8 and I plan to turbo down the road. I know that my stock clutch will not hold and I'm looking at other clutch options. This car is my daily driver, it may see some auto-x events, but will never see a a drag strip. I will be running on stock internals, and don't really have any plans to build the internals. So I will probably only be making around 180-2000whp. I'm not trying to build a drag car, just having fun with my daily driver.

With that said, I've been looking at the Exedy Organic clutch kit. I have come across some good deals and done searches as well. The clutch is claimed to be able to hold 69% more than stock. Some have had success with this clutch while others have said that it didn't hold, but they seldom gave adequate details on how it was being used.

If anyone has any first hand experience with this clutch, your input will be much appreciated.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (kommon_sense)

I'm also interested in knowing this since I'm looking at the same clutch.

Night bump for ya.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (kommon_sense)

It should hold up good to low boost on street. You should be fine as long as you don't plan on drag racing, speed shifting, etc. Keep in mind that a clutch will hold quite a bit more torque once it is engaged. It is the slipping torque that first becomes an issue. Exedy makes good parts that should last a long time too. Once you turn up the boost, consider us.
Old 09-09-2003, 07:55 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Location: 99th level of hell, where all roads only go straight, where curves go to die. Houston Texas
Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (ACTman)

I am using at Exedy Organic clutch on my B16 at 5psi pushing on 200whp on a mustang dyno.

I have no problems with it so far. I was told it should hold a max of around 280whp, but I think it would be safer to say it is better around 250whp.

More than that and I would consider something stronger like a ACT stage 3-up, Clutchmasters stage 3-up, Exedy Ceremettalic (overkill) , you get the idea, but for what you are looking for, the Exedy should be just fine, and feels close to stock, well, it did for mine anyway.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (Snafu-Si)

Excellent news. I appreciate the input. to ACTman for being professional and not bashing a competitor's product. I will be sure to consider you guys in the future if my needs change. At the moment I have come across some GREAT deals on the exedy clutches and as long as the vendor works out, I will be going with them.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ACTman - I was looking at the ACT X-Act Streetlite flywheel as well. However I have heard some stories about flywheel weights coming off during use. Can you comment on that at all?
Old 09-09-2003, 09:32 AM

There are no weights to come off. They are all one piece and we balance them with holes, not weights, so it is impossible for anything to "come off". We have had only one flywheel come back out of all of the flywheels we have sold in the past ten months or so. It was scratched. Obviously someone is making up stories. I would really be interested in where you heard this from. Ask around. I think the reputation of our flywheels will hold it's own.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response. I *ALWAYS* ask around to try to get facts over hearsay. Looks like the streetlite is back on the top of my list. Now to find a decent vendor
Old 09-09-2003, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I wouldn't buy one again, but that's just me. Didn't even last a year. I don't drive crazy either. It was taken to the track a total of 3 times. This was in a pretty built N/A LS/VTEC.

Old 09-09-2003, 12:19 PM

i run on my 260 hp D16z6 the original honda disc but I only add an ACT pressure plate..the OEM Honda disc are really strong the problem is the pressure plate so you could only buy a pressure plate...
Old 09-09-2003, 12:25 PM

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

or you can just buy my old act clutch with about 75% left of meat hd street.. held for my z6 turbo.. 13.3 no slipping...
Old 09-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (blackANESE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackANESE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't buy one again, but that's just me. Didn't even last a year. I don't drive crazy either. It was taken to the track a total of 3 times. This was in a pretty built N/A LS/VTEC.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I had the same exact problem with one on my b20vtec. It lasted 19k, then cracked in 4 places.
Old 09-09-2003, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (Jeff C)

How much power/torque were you making with that b20vtec? Were you doing any drag racing with it?
Old 09-09-2003, 07:05 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ACTman - I was looking at the ACT X-Act Streetlite flywheel as well. However I have heard some stories about flywheel weights coming off during use. Can you comment on that at all?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've got the streetlite flywheel and it's great. Granted, I'm not boosted but it does make my 150K B18B feel new again and some
Old 09-10-2003, 08:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How much power/torque were you making with that b20vtec? Were you doing any drag racing with it?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not sure on the power. I also had taken it to the track about 2-3 times.
Old 09-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Asking because the b-series organic clutch is only rated at 33% above stock. So with a b20vtec, odds are you had the wrong clutch for your application.
Old 09-10-2003, 07:16 PM
diearzte2

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (Snafu-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Snafu-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am using at Exedy Organic clutch on my B16 at 5psi pushing on 200whp on a mustang dyno.

I have no problems with it so far. I was told it should hold a max of around 280whp, but I think it would be safer to say it is better around 250whp.

More than that and I would consider something stronger like a ACT stage 3-up, Clutchmasters stage 3-up, Exedy Ceremettalic (overkill) , you get the idea, but for what you are looking for, the Exedy should be just fine, and feels close to stock, well, it did for mine anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I just got my Exedy clutch today, though I ended up with the 3 puck Ceremettalic. I ordered an organic one though. Whatever. I asked around and people said that the clutch becomes more like an on/off switch with a 3puck. Anyone using one? I am N/A, but I want to turbo in the the near future. Do you think that I should return this one and get the organic? Or keep this one?
I also bought the 8.8 lb flywheel from Exedy, Im excited to get this thing on the street.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I will probably only be making around 180-2000whp. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Thats probably what mine is putting down, nothing too big. Thats why I mentioned it to you. I think what did mine in was the few drag racing events. It was great til it broke. You will be fine for awhile.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (diearzte2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by diearzte2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I just got my Exedy clutch today, though I ended up with the 3 puck Ceremettalic. I ordered an organic one though. Whatever. I asked around and people said that the clutch becomes more like an on/off switch with a 3puck. Anyone using one? I am N/A, but I want to turbo in the the near future. Do you think that I should return this one and get the organic? Or keep this one?
I also bought the 8.8 lb flywheel from Exedy, Im excited to get this thing on the street.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've heard/read the same thing about the cerametallic which is why I am looking at the organic. I hit bumper to bumper traffic regularly while commutting to/from work, so I need something that is streetable.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get the ceramic version its a ghey feeling waiting for the clutch to grab when you want to shift hard, organic materials cannot take much heat. I use the ceramic extreme it harsh to engage but thats the trade off.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (turbozxi)

I should add you get used to it, but you will only get pissed off if you can't put down the power your making through a doughy organic.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:06 AM
New User

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (turbozxi)

I roasted my exedy organic with a 65 shot on an H22. I had to baby the hell out of the launch to get it to hold. Definitely not a good clutch for drag racing. It was great on the road course though.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:28 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ACTman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There are no weights to come off. They are all one piece and we balance them with holes, not weights, so it is impossible for anything to "come off". We have had only one flywheel come back out of all of the flywheels we have sold in the past ten months or so. It was scratched. Obviously someone is making up stories. I would really be interested in where you heard this from. Ask around. I think the reputation of our flywheels will hold it's own.</TD></TR></TABLE>

he heard it from me on another forum. I swear I thought it was the act flywheels that had this problem...that's why I went with a clutchmasters flywheel instead of an act unit.

now you got me curious as to ME being lied to. Time to go back to the track and ask todd what he was really running but I swear it looked like one when he showed it to me.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup? (laughinxxx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by laughinxxx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I roasted my exedy organic with a 65 shot on an H22. I had to baby the hell out of the launch to get it to hold. Definitely not a good clutch for drag racing. It was great on the road course though. </TD></TR></TABLE>Their clutch for the D motor (double diaphragm) is quite a bit stronger (% of increase) than their clutches for the B and H motors which are single diaphragm. Same with us. Our clutches are really strong for some applications and somewhat limited on others. You have to compare experiences with the same clutch application. I should be working for them, huh?
Old 10-18-2003, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.

bump

Quick Reply: Exedy Organic clutch for mild/moderate sohc turbo setup?