Notices

EVERYONE USING AFI RAMHORN MANIFOLDS

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EVERYONE USING AFI RAMHORN MANIFOLDS

i am looking how to do my oil drain line. pictures would be awesome. i am trying to figure out how many and what fittings i will need. as well as length of the drain line. any help is appreciated. thanks

edit: Your search for oil return line ramhorn returned no results.
Your search for oil drainline ramhorn returned no results
Your search for oil drain line ramhorn returned no results.
Your search for oil drain ramhorn returned no results.
Your search for oil return ramhorn returned no results.

i saw this picture on full-race.com

im not sure if this exact setup would work on a AFI ramhorn.

i talked to full-race a while ago and they said the line it self would be $50, but there is no guarantee it would work on my set up. i know my compressor would be on the other side, not sure if that matters that much tho

Modified by integra3586 at 5:10 PM 10/1/2006
Old 10-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EVERYONE USING AFI RAMHORN MANIFOLDS (integra3586)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=114490
Old 10-01-2006, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EVERYONE USING AFI RAMHORN MANIFOLDS (urbansi)

im not sure what you are showing me. there is no pictures. that is not a AFI specific manifold. i cant even tell if its a ram horn. i know the general rules to make a drain line. i would just like to see pictures and know lengths of drain lines going on a ram horn manifold preferably AFI
Old 10-01-2006, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EVERYONE USING AFI RAMHORN MANIFOLDS (integra3586)

ok you are not going to get a manifold specific oil return line. go to fast turbo.com they are a vendor on here and they will take care of you. ramhorn manifolds distance will be reasonably similar. check for oil return line not for the ramhorn for i think that is what is screwing it up.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: EVERYONE USING AFI RAMHORN MANIFOLDS (pumafeet10)

I would suggest that you just talk to afi or arent you in state just go to the shop and I am sure they will help you?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:34 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why didn't you clock the center housing so that it faced the pan and run like a 45 degree return line?
Old 10-01-2006, 06:43 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: (Schister66)

thats not his turbo.

and why arent you running the compressor on the drivers side?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wantboost)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wantboost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats not his turbo.

and why arent you running the compressor on the drivers side?</TD></TR></TABLE>

its an a/c manifold. and that's how AFI designed the charge piping. althought i think its mainly clearance issues with the ac compressor.

i will ask jesse, once i get back to the shop soon as my mani comes back from the coaters. everytime i go down there i keep forgeting to ask. so i resorted back to honda-tech.

thanks everyone for there help

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why didn't you clock the center housing so that it faced the pan and run like a 45 degree return line?</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is a full-race setup. im pretty sure they had some planning behind that design
Old 10-02-2006, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (integra3586)

please do yourself a favor and not follow that picture you posted. the oil feed and drain should be directly up and down, the pic has it pointing foward a little. that will negatively effect the oil flow and draining through the turbo. remember, center section straight up and down
Old 10-02-2006, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (blackeg)

I ran my last turbo's drain in the same config it would be on an AC setup, except I was forced to have the turbo sit very low. The drain line made a 20 degree angle to the pass. side, as well as make a sharp turn due to the 3" dp being 3" below the chra. It also went into the oil pan about halfway down. I was also using a t3/t04b with unknown miles, with slight amount of shaftplay & sideplay. I also used a -4an line with a .060" restrictor at the beginning of the line.

To make a long story short, I never had blue smoke or oil consumption issues despite having all the typical problems presented to me in my setup. As long as you meter your turbo's oil (oil restrictor), you'll be fine - assuming you don't just slap it together.

Also - nobody ever sees your return line setup, so pimp the cheap SS braided hose, SS clamps, and brass fittings. Its 10x easier to get it working on your setup, esp since AN lines weren't designed specificly for very tight spaces.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

my drain setup isn't so great but that's my own fault. it seems to work fine though.

whichever is the easiest route that allows for down hill/gravity flow will work.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (M.A.R.C.)

pics anyone?
Old 10-03-2006, 07:49 PM
95GSRTT

I SHOULD have some in the next few days, but I still havent had a chance to throw my afi AC ramhorn on yet, as i dont get my car back from the body shop til tomorrow.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (95GSRTT)

hell yea man, let me know
Old 10-10-2006, 10:22 AM
95GSRTT

Still havent had a chance to install the sucker since its been raining and working on other things with school/work. The other thing I was wondering about is how easily does the intercooler piping fit on the turbo with the AC model. I know it can be done, but Im wondering if you need your own one off custom piping or something to get it to fit with an AC manifold
Old 10-10-2006, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I run the AFI ramhorn. The oil return isnt under pressure, so you dont need to have fittings and what-not. I use just an oil hose with clamps on both ends and have never had a problem.

liam
Old 10-10-2006, 04:11 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (liam821)

do you have the AC one?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It won't matter if it's ac or non AC, I just shortened my hose when I went from pass mount to drivers mount and it went right up to my moroso pan like it was supposed to.

A return line isn't rocket science and just because other people run an/npt threaded fitting doesn't mean you have to for it to function properly. If you can't seem to put it all together, just get a normal rubber reinforced oil hose and two clamps, a bung and outlet from ATP turbo and call it a day. Hell AC is better (easier) to throw together than non AC because you don't have to work around your hot side intercooler piping to make it a straight shot.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you have the AC one? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nope, but like Jay said above it doesnt really matter.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:52 PM
95GSRTT

Default Re: (liam821)

i meant for the intercooler piping lol. Sorry for the mix up.
Old 10-10-2006, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

yea i didnt realize the oil drain was gonna be different than that first picture, it has to go around the dp. this is how the dp and turbo will sit in my car (this is not my car, and know the center section is not clocked right its just to mock it up) i am going to go with push lock fittings with some rubber hose with heat shield around it

now im just concerned with my a/c compressor. i hope having the dp that close isnt gonna affect its life too much
Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95GSRTT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i meant for the intercooler piping lol. Sorry for the mix up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh, i run custom piping. I cut the piping myself in my garage, and then took it to a buddy and he welded it all together. Was easy, and only cost me the parts which was like $80.

liam
Old 10-10-2006, 05:17 PM
95GSRTT

if you are worried about the ac compressor either wrap or have the dp coated. I am doing my own coating on it with some caswell coating. Should work out really well.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i think im probably gonna wrap it. jesse said the coating on the dp doesnt make a huge difference. i am however getting my manifold coated, its at the coaters as we speak.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:08 PM

i have the AC mani... off the turbo i run a 90* almost pointing forward, and then have the line swing around the dp towards my oil return with a 45* angled upwards to create a slight downhill effect. i run the moroso road/race pan so you can picture where the return bung is.

so far thats the only way i figured to route the line without it hitting the DP or the DT pipe. I've been running this way for about 1000 miles, just got tuned this past weekend, and i took off my IC pipe to check for oil and there was none. Its a -10 hose with -10 fittings on the end seems to be working for me now

From the top view:

now i just gotta figure out what im going to do with the dump tube... the heat wrap don't last too long with hot gas dumping on it

Quick Reply: EVERYONE USING AFI RAMHORN MANIFOLDS