Notices

Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits?

I feel the same way about piecign together nitrous kits as i do Turbo kits. Its cheaper, and you get better parts. For itsnance, the NX solenoids are a little beefier and more "reliable" if you will than the NOS ones. and so on...

I was going to turn a normal dry kit into a Direct port kit. I was just wondering if you guys know of a place online where i can buy individual Solenoids, "nozzles", hard lines, and distribution block. And does anyone know if i can pick up AN fittings at homedepot? If not, where can i find those puppies too. I know a local shop has parts like this but they are pretty expensive, so they are my last resort.

Thanks,
Ryan
Old 12-10-2003, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits? (tegasaurus)

anplumbing.com for an fittings. they got everything and they have good prices.

Old 12-10-2003, 11:55 AM
GPoodle

The hardlines you bend and flare yourself.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GPoodle)

thanks, that got me all the lines i need, now where can i get the fuel/nitrous mixer nozzles?
Old 12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (tegasaurus)

thread title:
"Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits?"

short answer:
"'cause this is the "forced induction" forum.

LOL. just playin'.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Re:

Never thought of that. How much are the bottles? I wonder how much cheaper it'll be.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Re: (sporkcrx)

bottles usually run about $185.00 from summit or jegs. i pieced my kit together that way. i spent about $300.00
Old 12-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kaj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thread title:
"Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits?"

short answer:
"'cause this is the "forced induction" forum.

LOL. just playin'. </TD></TR></TABLE>

dont' get me wrong, but i thought nitrous, on this board atleast, is considered "forced induction forum appropriate?"

Thanks for hte links guys - if anyone else knows where i can get nozzles from, at a decent price, let me know.

Ryan
Old 12-10-2003, 09:53 PM

i believe the fittings you use must be cyro for the low temps... just a guess though.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (94goldjungsr)

speaking of piecing together nitrous kits where can you buy a blow down tube just that is all i need to run nitrous at the track and i am sure as hell not putting my back seats back in. thanks
Old 12-11-2003, 04:19 AM

Default Re: (99blackcivicSi)

Summit and Jegs sell most of the parts you will need.. If you email them about bottles they can hook you up. The fittings are just normal AN stuff.

I think the quick answer to why people don't do that.. It takes alot more time to peice together a nitrous kit than just buying one.. And to save $200 and end up with almost the same thing might not be worth it. Where as a turbo kit normally comes with parts you don't want.. Doesn't have some parts you do want and cost a whole lot more.
Old 12-11-2003, 04:39 AM

Default Re:

You can buy a direct port kit for a V8 and split the cost of the kit with someone else. This should come with 8 nozzles and multiple jets for each nozzle.

You can buy the distribution blocks individually as well. The NX solenoids can be purchased separately. Then all you need is your switch, relay, and microswitch.

If you wanted to get really geeky, you could build a voltage sensitive circuit (to see voltage from your TPS wire) with a switched output that could trigger a relay, which would trigger the solenoids when you go WOT. I am using my standalone to trigger mine, so I do not need the microswitch, just a relay.
Old 12-11-2003, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Re: (NoShoes)

Most people piece together kits to save money, get better parts, and buy parts every payckeck according to thier budget.

Where as you can pick up a used nitrous kit for like $350

I see you point some products from certain companies are better from kit to kit, but the majority of people running nitrous just wanted a quick way of making power without getting too coplicated. Also the saving woudl be minimal os a kit that bradn new may only cost $500, where as a bradn new turbo kit new would run you $2800-$3000
Old 12-11-2003, 05:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (quikB18B)

I pieced a nice kit toghter for less than 200.. http://www.ebay.com is the way alot of good thing new and used cheap.....THe lines cost alot more
Old 12-11-2003, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GO TO EBAY THEY HAVE ALL THE **** YOU WANT CHEAP!
Old 12-11-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits? (tegasaurus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I feel the same way about piecign together nitrous kits as i do Turbo kits. Its cheaper, and you get better parts. For itsnance, the NX solenoids are a little beefier and more "reliable" if you will than the NOS ones. and so on...

I was going to turn a normal dry kit into a Direct port kit. I was just wondering if you guys know of a place online where i can buy individual Solenoids, "nozzles", hard lines, and distribution block. And does anyone know if i can pick up AN fittings at homedepot? If not, where can i find those puppies too. I know a local shop has parts like this but they are pretty expensive, so they are my last resort.

Thanks,
Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's because nitrous sucks.

Turbo OnWs JOOOO
Old 12-11-2003, 12:15 PM

Default Re: Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits?

****, saving $200 sounds good to me! I've never installed a nitrous system so I'd feel uncomfortable piecing one together, maybe I'll help install a buddies or something and get it down, then piece one together. Hey Teg, wanna reply with a list of what to get and where when you find everything?
Old 12-11-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits? (sporkcrx)

http://www.diy-nitrous.fsnet.co.uk/

EDIT: link is acting funny

Modified by slashDEVslashNULL at 4:11 PM 12/11/2003
Old 12-11-2003, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits? (slashDEVslashNULL)

are those scuba cylinders?
Old 12-11-2003, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits? (Hayasa15)

ebay is the key to this
i've been thinking of a dry kit setup also.
Summit sells an RPM window switchs for controlling the solenoid. Relays and such are a dime a dozen
The bottle could be found for around 100 on ebay
Solenoids - ebay
Lines and fittings are the things that are going to kill you, can't get those for much cheaper than new unless u buy a kit.
PM me, we could collaborate
Old 12-11-2003, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits? (Hayasa15)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hayasa15 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are those scuba cylinders?</TD></TR></TABLE>
ehh...some are fire extinguisher cylinders

this will save you about 40 on pills
http://www.corral.net/tech/powerplant/arm/

Old 12-11-2003, 02:15 PM

Default Re: Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits? (slashDEVslashNULL)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Or, for those doing this on the cheap!

Or for the DIY people, be advised that ANY C02 bottle that is used to store Liquid Carbon Dioxide gas, like in a fire extinguisher, or a pub C02 bottle is completely compatible! If it works for C02 it will be great for Nitrous Oxide as well -- If unsure of the markings then ASK SOMEONE THAT UNDERSTANDS THEM!

This of course means your sources of bottles is actually enormous! They are EVERYWHERE once you start to notice them! Any C02 Fire extinguisher, is fine! They may be red, or black at least here in the UK. Also welding sets, (electric) use them, so they are in most workshops already... Better still, EVERY Bar and Pub, and restaurant uses them for the beer and soft drinks. Go & look round the back! Chances are that there will be 5 or 6, 14lb to 16 lb bottles with valves just laid about... I am NOT suggesting you steal them, but you could "ask" someone? Other places, are factories, diving places, etc. The CO2 bottles really are all over the place once you start to notice them. And you can also try home brew suppliers, they sell them to the public too.

Obviously old or used bottles will need re spraying, or polishing etc; before they can be pressure tested and certified safe by a fire extinguisher test centre or similar. All these dates are already on the bottles, along with the empty, full weights etc all stamped into the metal.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 12-11-2003, 02:47 PM
kaj
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

dont' get me wrong, but i thought nitrous, on this board atleast, is considered "forced induction forum appropriate?"
Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'm sure it is. i don't see why not. you're still forcing air in. i was just kiddin', yo
Old 12-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kaj)

correct me if i am wrong but i thought that No2 was stored at a higher pressure than co2 was. because a friend of mine got ripped of because he bought a kit that he though was No2 and really it was a Co2 bottle covered in something and a hoses and all and from what i was told by some respectable local shops is that it would not hold No2
Old 12-11-2003, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostFed97ek)

http://www.dynotune.org

they sell solenoids in all sizes and they sell alot of other cool nitrous things

Quick Reply: Everyone pieces together turbo kits... but why not nitrous kits?