Notices

Ever heard of this happening??? Water pump problem... I guess!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever heard of this happening??? Water pump problem... I guess!

I was driving down I-55 toward Mississippi, when I start hearing a clingity clangity noise like loose metal like bolt. Everything seems fine, oil temp, oil pressure, egts. Motor sounds fine, and still drives fine. Not too long after somethign falls so I figure it was just a bolt. Sooo I keep driving.

I start seeing some smoke coming from the side of the car (also where my downpipe exits) But still the car is running fine so I figured that it was just smoking and I hadn't been paying attention and it does burn oil. Sooo I kept driving...

Then I notice the car starting to run a little hot, but nothing big... but I am trying to put all these signs together, while doing that the car is beginning to run hotter and hotter, then I hear a loud clink and something fell and hit the bottom of the car.

I get out of the car and it smoking like crazy, pop the hood so much smoke I can't see anything, but there is coolant everwhere ON THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE CAR. When the smoke began to clear out I noticed the timing belt was lose and ALL the teeth on the water pump gear were missing.

I don't understand how this could have happened! Any ideas??
Old 11-25-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ever heard of this happening??? Water pump problem... I guess! (J-Brooks)

Your timing belt got hungry?

Seriously, that's ****** wierd. I have never heard of that before.
Old 11-25-2004, 10:59 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ever heard of this happening??? Water pump problem... I guess! (m R g S r)

noise you could have herd was the impellor in the water pump breaking up , then when it finally went it let coolant out of the seep hole which its suppsed to do when it goes bad . and the coolant hit somthing hot like the back of your block or downpipe......
Old 11-25-2004, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ever heard of this happening??? Water pump problem... I guess! (Hella_JDM)

i've seen it. one of my friends was cruising at 85 when the water pump siezed. timing belt snapped the water pump shaft then fell off, luckily the valves were fine.
Old 11-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ever heard of this happening??? Water pump problem... I guess! (J-Brooks)

Why don't you take pictures, that would be even better.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ever heard of this happening??? Water pump problem... I guess! (leadfoot78)

I woiuld have taken pictures but I didn't have a digital with me and my car is still on the side of the road. My friend is on his way with a flatbed trailer to go pick it up.

So it has happened to one other person... I guess that doesn't make me feel so bad. But I was going about 80-90. I doubt it didn't damage some valves or something. But I will find out probably tomorrow or saturday.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a water pump seize and snap the pulley off in the timing cover. Car ran hot because the water pump was not pumping.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ever heard of this happening??? Water pump problem... I guess! (nsxmatt)

Yea I understand why the car ran hot and there is coolant everywhere, I just thought it was really weird how the timing belt stredded the teeth on the waterpump, but the gear is still there its just perfectly round.

I'll get some pics maybe tonight or tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2004, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J-Brooks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I start seeing some smoke coming from the side of the car (also where my downpipe exits) But still the car is running fine so I figured that it was just smoking and I hadn't been paying attention and it does burn oil. Sooo I kept driving...</TD></TR></TABLE>

why were you not pulled over at this point, i dont get it.

platinum.

Old 11-25-2004, 04:41 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey it happens . is there coolant seeping out of the whole on the waterpump?
Old 11-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ever heard of this happening??? Water pump problem... I guess! (platinum00)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

why were you not pulled over at this point, i dont get it.

platinum.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like I said. My downpipe exits on that side and it smokes all the time... so it wasn't much out of the ordinary. I cannot tell if there is coolant seeping out of the hole. I'll give more detail tomorrow