Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ever hear cartalks puzzlers? I have one for you all on my own setup

deleted

Modified by trbob16a at 5:53 AM 5/21/2004
Old 05-30-2003, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever hear cartalks puzzlers? I have one for you all on my own setup (trbob16a)

1. your headgaket is bad or not holding
2. head bolts are stretched, and head is riding up
3. sleeves have hailine crack
4. both head and block needs resurfacing
Old 05-30-2003, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever hear cartalks puzzlers? I have one for you all on my own setup (MiraiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MiraiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
1. your headgaket is bad or not holding
2. head bolts are stretched, and head is riding up
3. sleeves have hailine crack
4. both head and block needs resurfacing</TD></TR></TABLE>

The headgasket is definitely not holding. Its an OEM overbore from RS and appears fine. I'll try a new one.

The head bolts are brand new so it isn't that, as are the sleevs. The head has been checked and doesn't need resurfacing.

Many thanks to Earl who provided this input:
"Well that would seem to be ok. What exact head gaskets are you using? Do not use the Cometic HP design but the Cometic MLS should work great.
The only thing that comes to mind is possibly the 2 cylinders that are still raised are effecting the seal of the other two. That would call for you to surface the deck flat for all 4 cylinders and see if that fixes the problem. Before doing that, however, I would consider a professional check for cracks in the aluminum deck using a process like zyglo or whatever the current best aluminum crack check is. I assume the cylinder head has already been checked for cracks?
Also I believe there is a way to pressure check the block. Perhaps where the sleeve and the block fit together, there could be a leak. Most installers use something like Honda Bond to seal those areas. Maybe something is leaking there. I've seen blocks lose seal at first boost but never at idle. Let me know
earl"
Old 05-30-2003, 07:26 AM

Default Re: ever hear cartalks puzzlers? I have one for you all on my own setup (trbob16a)

I hope you find out whats wrong. I have the same problem w/ my motor right now. I am at your first step (disassemble and reassemble) just waiting for my new headgasket, cuz the first one I used didnt seem to work. I hope I dont have to go through all the steps you went through and havd problems still.

Good luck and let us now if you fix it.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever hear cartalks puzzlers? I have one for you all on my own setup (Prelude Vtec 23)

don't forget to torque the head bolts in order!...have fun
Old 05-30-2003, 08:57 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: ever hear cartalks puzzlers? I have one for you all on my own setup (MiraiZ)

did they mill the head and the block and forget to shorten the dowel pins?
Old 05-30-2003, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever hear cartalks puzzlers? I have one for you all on my own setup (GraphiteAccord)

did u use the same head gasket every time u took the head off???
Old 05-30-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ever hear cartalks puzzlers? I have one for you all on my own setup (GraphiteAccord)

I trimmed down the dowel pins myself and checked to make sure they eren't too long to cause any problems.

I was re-using the same headgasket, which people have said is OK. I did order a new one so this next time I'll be using a brand new one..
Old 05-30-2003, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by trbob16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I trimmed down the dowel pins myself and checked to make sure they eren't too long to cause any problems.

I was re-using the same headgasket, which people have said is OK. I did order a new one so this next time I'll be using a brand new one..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to be captain obvious, but since everything else has failed that is a good bet. I'm also thinking it would be wise to check the sleeves and head for hairline cracks, since it's so fishy...