Engineering Explained - Turbo Blanket Testing & Results - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

Engineering Explained - Turbo Blanket Testing & Results

Engineering Explained - Turbo Blanket Testing & Results

Old 01-07-2018, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Engineering Explained - Turbo Blanket Testing & Results

These tests have been done many, many times before but I still found this video very interesting to watch. They also reference some testing done by UT Austin on a Cummins Diesel engine, but all around the blanket results were promising. Also very note worthy is the UT study measured the temperature of the oil feed AND the oil drain, and found that the temperatures were actually the same as it passed through the CHRA, meaning any worries of blankets "coaking oil" is unfounded.

I'll let the rest of the video speak for itself, but the tl;dr version is that these blankets do exactly what they're advertised to do.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engineering Explained - Turbo Blanket Testing & Results

It would be nice to see some controlled data test between different turbo blanket manufactors. And lava, titanium, etc....
Old 01-07-2018, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice find!, pretty much re-enforces what people on HT have been saying for years faster spool and lower underhood temps

Pretty sure when I bought my PTP blanket in only came in "lava" anyway and its much better quality then DEI IMO
Old 01-08-2018, 01:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2kdrift View Post
Nice find!, pretty much re-enforces what people on HT have been saying for years faster spool and lower underhood temps

Pretty sure when I bought my PTP blanket in only came in "lava" anyway and its much better quality then DEI IMO
The DEI lava blankets I've seen appear to be a little thicker than the PTP blankets, but their price tags are a fair bit higher than the PTP and I've had more problems with the DEI blankets starting to fray on the stitching or come apart if they happen to snag into any other clamps or things like that.
Old 01-08-2018, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FUUUCCCCKKKK. I bought a new DEI blanket back in november. And i find out their quality is iffy. They do seem thicker though. PTP does offer the titanium variant now. But i decide now to go back them after how my old one turned out.

PTP blanket after seven or so years
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced...3164186/page11
Old 01-08-2018, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^Just make sure you don't do something stupid like get it stuck under a vband clamp like I did. The way the DEI are stitched seems to be a bit less forgiving towards things like that.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yup I had a DEI, fell apart when I had to remove [email protected] youl be fine just dont touch it once its been heat cycled lol.

When I removed my PTP I did not have any issues with it coming apart seemed pretty solid
Old 01-09-2018, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had a PTP for years and it only started to degrade when I lost a wastegate bolt and the exhaust gases were shooting out on top of it, eating away at the outer 'case', exposing the insulation.

Otherwise Mint
Old 01-14-2018, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to wrap Charles' beard around my hot side and observe the insulating ability.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My ceramic coated Tial V-band housing doesnt get nearly as hot as the old cast iron piece I had. Even after a 25 psi pull.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Dark_Teg View Post
My ceramic coated Tial V-band housing doesnt get nearly as hot as the old cast iron piece I had. Even after a 25 psi pull.
I'm planning on using the Tial stainless steel vband housing, coated, with a PTP blanket on my build. Should minimize the hell out of heat radiation.

I also like that the SS/Vband housings don't weigh as much as the larger cast iron housings, I think that will help somewhat with nut/bolt issues on the studs. Could even help prevent cracking somewhat since there's less weight hanging off the manifold.
Old 03-01-2019, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm in the market for a turbo blanket and it looks like PTP with lava is the overall better buy (and the one I'm leaning towards). Anyone have any experience with the ones from GoAuto?
Old 03-03-2019, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The blanket is a must have in conjunction with other tricks, the wraps themselves fall apart overtime but there is a trick to extend the life.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jetspeedz View Post
The blanket is a must have in conjunction with other tricks, the wraps themselves fall apart overtime but there is a trick to extend the life.
...and the trick is...?
Old 03-14-2019, 03:18 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

I put a new Thermal Zero one on last year and with a few thousand miles on it it seems to be doing good still. No idea if they are good quality blankets or not though, functionally.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:07 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

I thought about putting a turbo blanket on mine....but the turbo is in the front (D,B, H series for example) unlike the back area like most VWs. I guess it is beneficial for those with turbo K-swapped cars. Other than that...I doubt it really helps much.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by NVturbo View Post
I thought about putting a turbo blanket on mine....but the turbo is in the front (D,B, H series for example) unlike the back area like most VWs. I guess it is beneficial for those with turbo K-swapped cars. Other than that...I doubt it really helps much.
helps regardless of location, really. I've had turbos fitted in both locations off a vehicle. It ALL helps
Old 03-18-2019, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo View Post
Will still help significantly with reducing under hood temperatures, which is always a good thing. Less heat soak is always a benefit. Could also lower IAT's depending on how the intake is routed, and as per the topic/study provides a small bump in spool time.

For people who use a top mount style as well it can help keep the paint on the hood from fading, which will happen rather quickly if the car is driven often with an exposed exhaust housing only an inch or two away from the hood.

(I will agree though that on a K-Swapped car, a blanket goes from being a "good idea" to 100% necessary).
Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post

For people who use a top mount style as well it can help keep the paint on the hood from fading, which will happen rather quickly if the car is driven often with an exposed exhaust housing only an inch or two away from the hood.
Yup. I turned a section of the underside of my freshly painted hood from white to a cream color in a matter of weeks without a blanket. Adding a blanket stopped that from progressing and helped keep the engine bay temps down. The blankets help protect surrounding plastics, wiring and connectors from becoming brittle over time from continued heat exposure as well. I usually recommend them on most builds. A blanket combined with at least the downpipe wrapped will make a huge difference in underhood temps. Most people don't opt to wrap their shiny manifold for the bling factor but that helps a ton too.