Notices

Engine noise with forged pistons??? do you all hear this noise after a rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine noise with forged pistons??? do you all hear this noise after a rebuild

After a B series engine is rebuilt is there a reason that the engine is really noisy. It almost sounds like a diesel truck. Is this because of the silicone content in the pistons??? or is it that the forged pistons do not expand. thank you for the info!!
Old 09-26-2003, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Engine noise with forged pistons??? do you all hear this noise after a rebuild (intercooledJRSC)

I have the exact same problem I've heard forged pistons are supposed to loud Im running JE pistons with JE rings
Old 09-26-2003, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine noise with forged pistons??? do you all hear this noise after a rebuild (metal-x)

Hahhahaah you guys think JE's are loud!? you should hear an old set of arias pistons!

I will only use arias pistons and they have to be some of the loudest psitons out there.

Alot of the noise also is determined by how far your machinist setup your psiton to wall clearances.

HTH
Brian
Old 09-26-2003, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Engine noise with forged pistons??? do you all hear this noise after a rebuild (TurbodCX)

so is it the hardness of the pistons??? would teflon coating make it quieter? thanks for the replys so far
Old 09-26-2003, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine noise with forged pistons??? do you all hear this noise after a rebuild (intercooledJRSC)

It's normal. Once the pistons are all warmed up and expand, the clearance between the wall and piston will be very minimal and the noise will die down.
Old 09-26-2003, 08:31 AM

When the pistons are cold you'll have more piston to wall clearance so they'll slap around a bit. When they warm up they'll expand and the noise should go away. Are you using JE's or SRP's?
Old 09-26-2003, 11:02 AM

Default Re: Engine noise with forged pistons??? do you all hear this noise after a rebuild (boostaholic)

someone also said something to the effect of the srp piston pin is located dead center in the piston and that is what cause alot of the noise. they also said that most factory pistons pin bosses are offset just a tad so that it preloads the piston to one side of the cylinder. does that make sence????
thank you
Old 09-26-2003, 12:27 PM

i have srp pistons. when i start my car in the morning, they are loud as ****... but after it warms up its get quiet. but its like it over powers the sound of my exhaust at idle.
Old 09-26-2003, 12:43 PM
Trial User

mine did that for a minute or two before it was warmed up.... some pistons expand with heat, so they are a little "loose" in the cylinders (not much mind you) until they are warmed up to operating temp...

mine sounded liek a little diesel for a tiny bit and then got quiet...

i was running aries pistons
Old 09-27-2003, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Engine noise with forged pistons??? do you all hear this noise after a rebuild (GSRwBOOST)

PISTON SLAP!
Old 09-27-2003, 07:51 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by intercooledJRSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">someone also said something to the effect of the srp piston pin is located dead center in the piston and that is what cause alot of the noise. they also said that most factory pistons pin bosses are offset just a tad so that it preloads the piston to one side of the cylinder. does that make sence????
thank you</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats impossible unless the rod is bent, because u cant slide the rod around o nthe crank's journals. It will be in the exact same spot as stock.

I have endyns and they dont slap too bad, You have to listen for it very closely.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:02 AM
No Sales Forums

yea same here they pretty loud when u first start da car in da morning
Old 09-27-2003, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Engine noise with forged pistons??? do you all hear this noise after a rebuild (AllVersionSi)

If they are loud for more than 10 seconds, something is too loose. Maybe piston to wall, loose piston pins, valve clearance but it should not be that way be it SRP or anything better.