Notices

Engine build cost? Did I get ripped off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine build cost? Did I get ripped off?

I got a 4g63 built, I know its NOT a honda engine but just try to help me out here.. way more honda guys build engines than guys with dsm's.

Heres what I had done. I brought him a 4g63 shortblock... had full rotating assembly everything else stripped off. Heres the work he preformed as follows.

Dis-assemble, hot tank block and crank.
Inspect block and crank and magnaflux.
Deck block minimally to clean up
Install supplied torque plate with supplied headgasket and supplied arp headstuds.
Bore 20 over (P2W clearance set at 4 thous)
Install alignment dowels to align main caps center over main studs (not installed factory) some minor drilling needed to be done to fit these.
Install block gridle with arp main studs and line hone mains (with torque plate installed)
Balance supplied pistons (9:1 weiscos)
Balance supplied rods (manley turbo tuff rods)
Balance and polish crank
assemble shortblock

He basically did the whole 9 yards for the bottom end, I supplied EVERYTHING so there was no mark up on parts for him. So this probably added to the cost slighly.

He said the rods and pistons were very close but he balanced them exactly. He also checked bearing clearances all that stuff he says everything on the motor fits perfectly. He had to do other minor things like cleaning the oil squirters, etc.. things that all take time.

He charged me $1400 cash. This is Canadian dollars too.

Ive never had a motor built, I feel this is a fair price but I don't know. The guy who built is has his own business, good reviews, and has been doing it for many years. Mostly with V8's. However, he didn't do anything specific as far as sleeving.. (iron block), or any sort of port work specific to 4 cylinders. So im certian that it was done properly.

So any comments? If I could have gone elsewhere for $1000, its only $400 I saved, heck.. $1400 is a fairly small expense for the build as a whole, but im just curious if this is an average price.

Thanks.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:39 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Re: Engine build cost? Did I get ripped off?

Originally Posted by HamiltonRex
Inspect block and crank and magnaflux.
Deck block minimally to clean up
Install supplied torque plate with supplied headgasket and supplied arp headstuds.
Bore 20 over (P2W clearance set at 4 thous)
This would cost about $300 or so at my shop and as for the rest it is a toss-up because I don't know the currency exchange rate soo... I would say you probably didn't get a deal but you didn't get ripped off either.
Old 09-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I should have done, ditched the griddle, line hone and arp main studs and dis-assemble and assemble myself.

Cost me a bit more than I'd hoped, but what can ya do. The head is next but I'm going to get more solid quotes before I tell him to go ahead and do anything. I might just take head elsewhere he was saying he was going to shim valve springs etc to get all pressures at spec but I don't believe this is even needed.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So that's about $1300 US dollars...seems a little high, but if the work is good AND he stands behind it then it's probably a good deal. You never really know until something goes wrong or you beat the hell out of it for a long time and it holds up.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that's cheap! Where I am, that's easily a $3000 job
Old 09-29-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think i paid close to that same ammount around here (toronto) for just about the exact same ammount of work.
Old 09-29-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Toronto area for machine shop work is MUCH more expensive than in the U.S. I've notice. In many cases, simply things like rehoning the block ($250) or polishing cams ($150) make no sense, but it could be because of the fact that there may not be as many machinists that know how to do the work? I'm not 100% sure.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well thanks for the comments guys, I really apreshiate it. Non-vtec where did you get your work done and who did it, you can pm me if you don't want to post up. I'm considering letting this guy do the head or possibly Canadian cylinder head or I'm always looking to check out other places that others recommend.

Thanks! Seems to be a fair cost.
Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i must be lucky! we pay about half that around here for GREAT work!
Old 10-01-2009, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not only do the guys south of the border get great pricing on machine work you also get incredible pricing on parts.....you pay what around 400-500us for a set of forged pistons.....around here the best price i can find was about 750CAD+taxes.....and that was with a discount. they retail for about 850-950 depending where you shop.

i order my stuff from the US all the time.....canadian retailers mark their stuff up way to much.

there are some good machine shops around here that do charge reasonable rates. word of mouth travels around pretty good. you just need to shop/ask around.