Notices

Endyn Catch Can / Breather Kit - How to block off drain back feature?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Endyn Catch Can / Breather Kit - How to block off drain back feature?

I was looking into getting the Endyn Catch Can / Breather Kit

http://www.theoldone.com/components/breather/

I spoke to them just now and they said the can must use the drain back feature. theres no way to cap it off unless you improvise. They also strongly suggested that i use the drain back feature, and not modify their product.

So how is everyone using this kit? Is everyone using the drainback? If not, how do i block it off and still be able to easily drain it manually when it fills up?

Any info is appreciated. Thanks...
Old 11-14-2005, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Endyn Catch Can / Breather Kit - How to block off drain back feature? (DJ Gurgla GSR)

I've been thinking about the same thing. I dont want to run a drain back so here is what I was thinking.

option #1
run a barbed fitting on the bottom port that has a spigot or **** I can turn like a faucet to let oil drain through the line.

option #2
run a regular barbed fitting on the bottom of the can. Run the drain line somewhere easily accessible that wont need a lift or jacks to get to it. On the end of the drain line a fitting that I use to drain the tank. It can either be a barbed fitting with the opposite end being a male thread. Then I would just get a cap to put on that end. Another option is to get a barbed fitting with the other end being a female thread. With this I could use a banjo bolt and screw it into the female thread. When you tighten the banjo bolt all the way down you seal it, when you drain it you loosen it up until the holes on the side of the banjo bolt come out and this is where the oil will drain from. This might make more of a mess though since the catch can contents will drain out the side.

Those are just some ideas, but a faucet type fitting would work the best. I have one from my old moroso catch can that threaded into the bottom of my catch can. But instead I'm gonna run a barbed fitting to the bottom of my catch can. Then I'm gonna take this threaded facuet fitting and grind down the threads so it is smooth and can be inserted into my drain hose. Either that or I'll just put some teflon on the threads and make it smooth and shove it into the drain line.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Endyn Catch Can / Breather Kit - How to block off drain back feature? (BlueShadow)

^^ You've really put some thought into this. Thank you for the thorough reply. I guess option #1 would be the easiest. I would just need to track down the proper fitting.

anyone else?

Got any links for a fitting that may work to solve this problem?
Old 11-14-2005, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Endyn Catch Can / Breather Kit - How to block off drain back feature? (DJ Gurgla GSR)

yah #1 would be the easiest but I haven't been able to find a fitting like this. Faucet fittings are pretty common but not one with a threaded end to go into the can and a barbed end you can put a drain line onto. You should be able to find a faucet fitting that can screw into the catch can, but it will just drain all over the place. #2 might be better cause you can mount the can in the engine bay and the end of the drain line can go down below the engine somewhere. That way you can just get down on the ground and undo the cap and drain it into a pan and cap it back up. The end of the drain line with the fitting/cap is somewhere you can get to by just getting on the ground nextto your car and looking under the engine bay. I have the whole setup pictured in my head but it's hard to explain it since I havent done it yet.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

depending on the amount of blow by that you're having, if you're not using the drian back system, you're risking on having your motor running low on oil.

The catch can will separate the oil from vapor out of the excess crankcase pressure. The vapor will evaporate and the oil should be drain back.

If you're only using it on race motor, then I can see that being possible to where you can monitor on how much oil you're losing per pass, but I don't think it's a good idea on a street driven car, unless you check on how much oil you're losing or draining out of the catch can on daily basis.

stan
Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 AM

Default Re: Endyn Catch Can / Breather Kit - How to block off drain back feature? (Flamenco-T)

Why not use the drain back???

It's really easy to hook up with just a T fitting.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it jsut "T's back into one of the lines that you have gonig to the can already..
Old 11-14-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tchleung)

I understand how to run the line and "T" it back in etc. I was under the impression that it was not healthy to use the drainback feature.

What i read here from searching was that using the drainback will return not only oil but also unburnt fuel and other stuff thats normally burnt up with the stock PCV system (into the IM). So it'll be contaminating your oil.

I also did not think that the can would fill that quickly. If i mount the can high, towards the front of the engine bay, with the endyn anti siphon fittings, would i really be filling the can that quickly?

Old 11-14-2005, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DJ Gurgla GSR)

I may go with what blue shadow recommended. Using it as is, running the line somewhere, and plugging it there with some type of drain fitting setup.

Theres not something like this that i can find for the moroso can? Check out the thing on the bottom.

'lever handle petcock'

Old 11-14-2005, 09:49 AM

Why you just dont drain it back in the engine ?? Its just the good way to do it and if your catch can is clean there is no way that something else than oil that could go into it ??

It would be normal to the oil to return to the engine and vapors to go out by the breather. Im gonna run this kit on mu SOHC next summer and I will do it that way.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

^^ i don't want to drain it to back to the engine as i feel it will be contaminating my oil with the stuff normally burnt up in your IM with the stock PCV system. If i'm wrong, please correct me
Old 11-14-2005, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been using the Endyn kit for a year or so. I've got an otherwise stock B16 with a JRSC. After I installed the JRSC the engine started using some oil, which it never did before. After I installed the catch can the oil consumption returned to zero (almost), so I'm quite happy with the setup!

I use the drainback feature, which works perfectly. The only reason I can see not to use it is because the can must be installed rather high in the engine bay (the drainback must be positioned above the fitting it flows back into). I run the PCV valve that comes with the kit, so I don't see how impurities that aren't in the crankcase already could get in because of the catch can. My oil doesn't appear to age any faster...

I'd advise you to use it as Endyn intended it to be.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:31 AM

Default Re: (DJ Gurgla GSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DJ Gurgla GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^ i don't want to drain it to back to the engine as i feel it will be contaminating my oil with the stuff normally burnt up in your IM with the stock PCV system. If i'm wrong, please correct me</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah but its not the stock PVC system... its a breather system. The only oil that will come to you catch can is the oil that would have come by the line who is attached to your head or block.

Anyway it wont be contaminated by anything if you change your oil regulary.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (yellowturbo)

any engine bay shots of it mounted (pref on a turbo car)
Old 11-14-2005, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Endyn Catch Can / Breather Kit - How to block off drain back feature? (BlueShadow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueShadow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yah #1 would be the easiest but I haven't been able to find a fitting like this. Faucet fittings are pretty common but not one with a threaded end to go into the can and a barbed end you can put a drain line onto. You should be able to find a faucet fitting that can screw into the catch can, but it will just drain all over the place. #2 might be better cause you can mount the can in the engine bay and the end of the drain line can go down below the engine somewhere. That way you can just get down on the ground and undo the cap and drain it into a pan and cap it back up. The end of the drain line with the fitting/cap is somewhere you can get to by just getting on the ground nextto your car and looking under the engine bay. I have the whole setup pictured in my head but it's hard to explain it since I havent done it yet.</TD></TR></TABLE>

PSSSST go to home depot .. to the tool carell or whtever and go lok at air compressor fittings. i bought a 1/4 lever system and a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter to put it on my catch can.
Old 11-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Endyn Catch Can / Breather Kit - How to block off drain back feature? (project dc2)

^^^ cool suggestion. may try that