Notices

electric or mechanical oil pressure gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2003, 09:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric or mechanical oil pressure gauge?

which one is better, electric or mechanical and why?
Old 06-16-2003, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: electric or mechanical oil pressure gauge? (crx1856)

Either one will work. Electric is safer. If you go with a mechanical you should run an isolator so you won't have hot oil running in your cabin.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/nc...r=361

There's a link to get an isolator.
Old 06-17-2003, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

For the price of an isolator youre better off getting an Electric unit. I have a mech oil pressure gauge in my car. It hasnt leaked so far (knock on wood). It works just fine and I got it cheap.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (T-RO)

so with mechanical oil pressure gauges, there is no sender correct? just a gauge and a oil line from the gauge to the back of the block? so what would be better with a turbo setup? running a mechanical gauge without a sending unit or a electrical gauge with that big bulky sending unit?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (nextelbuddy)

They both read oil pressure the same, the electric probably is more accurate though. I go with electric just so that I don't have hot oil running into the dash.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boosted92)

ok check this out then. since i have the oil pressure electrical gauge already (missing the sending unit) im going to just get the sending unit from autometer. my question is, does then sending unit thread in to the back of the block just liek the original oil pressure sending unit? or is it a differetn thread pattern or size? the reason i ask is because i have a TEE fitting already that the OEM oil pressure sending unit threads into perfectly and was wondering if the auto meter sending unit will thread the same way?? any help?
Old 08-08-2003, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nextelbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok check this out then. since i have the oil pressure electrical gauge already (missing the sending unit) im going to just get the sending unit from autometer. my question is, does then sending unit thread in to the back of the block just liek the original oil pressure sending unit? or is it a differetn thread pattern or size? the reason i ask is because i have a TEE fitting already that the OEM oil pressure sending unit threads into perfectly and was wondering if the auto meter sending unit will thread the same way?? any help?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, its the same thread.
Old 08-08-2003, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (minivan81)

great so as long as i have a TEE fitting that my OEM oil pressure sender threads into then the auto meter sending unit will thread into it as well? thanx for the help
Old 08-08-2003, 02:11 PM
New User

Default Re: electric or mechanical oil pressure gauge? (crx1856)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx1856 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">which one is better, electric or mechanical and why?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Definately go Electrical, I have a mechanical autometer oil pressure gauge and it worked fine for about 2 years until one day I looked inside my door panel up front and saw ALL the oil everywhere I took the line out and haven't ran it sense but it just fills up my gauge pod on my A pillar. Someone posted about the isolator which I raised my eyebrow for second until I saw it's $90!!!!!! You can get the elctrical oil pressure for $52 any genious could figure out shich to get ya think? I will be getting an electrical oil press and egt, and temp gauge soon. So Electrical all the way unless someone is selling a mechanical for real real cheap with the isolator.