Notices

EKCivic14's "Budget" DA9 Turbo Integra Progress Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: EKCivic14's "Budget" DA9 Turbo Integra Progress Build

Originally Posted by NotARaCist
I seriously doubt ANY of the base classes will let you run non-OEM turbo, period. One of the base class rules is "if we don't say yes, then the answer is no." Nowhere do they talk about it being OK to add a turbo where there wasn't one originally. Comparing a Toyota to a Honda? Yeah...OK. Please, keep telling us how you know better, when you want to make a comparison like that. Low compression is the way of the past. "Can't trade them"? What, is your soul eternally bound to four slugs of metal or something?

Your car is going to be sluggish off the line, it's going to get comparably bad gas mileage if you ever want to DD it, your powerband is going to be nothingnothingnothingEVERYTHING, which again, **** for DD, and with your whole going twelve different directions with one project thing, you aren't going to be competitive in any venue. But whatever, it's your car. We'll be here when you're ready to join us in doing it the better way.
lmao, really?
So what you are trying to say is...the 1.8l 2zz engine is somehow superior to every honda 4 banger in every way, even more than the K series engines and is just so much more efficient for low end power that a ridiculous power cure like that is warranted 100% of the time...even on 9:1 comp

Furthermore, it's apparent that while he may not be very effective in everything he listed doing, that he at least knows what he wants to do, seems to have a decent amount of knowledge of how to do it, and has another respectable member from our site (with a respectable build of his own, nonetheless) helping him out on it. He didn't ask for your shitty opinion on it. If anything, maybe he'll have a blast, but eventually gravitate towards better things in the future, but either way he'll learn from it and is on the right path towards making a powerful honda, huge powerband or not.

How about you spend more time focusing on getting your build together rather than sniping others'
Old 12-17-2015, 11:41 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Geis
lmao, really?
So what you are trying to say is...the 1.8l 2zz engine is somehow superior to every honda 4 banger in every way, even more than the K series engines and is just so much more efficient for low end power that a ridiculous power cure like that is warranted 100% of the time...even on 9:1 comp

Furthermore, it's apparent that while he may not be very effective in everything he listed doing, that he at least knows what he wants to do, seems to have a decent amount of knowledge of how to do it, and has another respectable member from our site (with a respectable build of his own, nonetheless) helping him out on it. He didn't ask for your shitty opinion on it. If anything, maybe he'll have a blast, but eventually gravitate towards better things in the future, but either way he'll learn from it and is on the right path towards making a powerful honda, huge powerband or not.

How about you spend more time focusing on getting your build together rather than sniping others'
Well said
Old 12-17-2015, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aggression
Not hating, or trying to start an argument, but you clearly cut it off before it says what items were restricted.

Edit: After googling the handbook you are referencing it looks like turbos are not restricted.

And if your budget is a great as you seem to express, why not just drop another $400 on some quality pistons?
Yeah I just cut it off there to make it easier to find... And are je not quality pistons? Or do you mean more suitable pistons? Like I said I don't really have a BUDGET but I'm not trying to spend money I really don't need to
Old 12-17-2015, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lmao, really?

Thanks man! I do know I'm not being really efficient with this build but it's my first true build and I want to experience all kinds of racing without having a different car for each type because like most I have a life and bills and don't have that much extra cash to have 3 purpose built race cars... My knowledge isn't near some of yours but it is fairly well! I understand everything I do in this build isnt... Lets say practical but it's intended for me to have fun and gain experience in the garage and on the track... Eventually I'm sure I'll gravitate to one or the other but for now I'm just looking to go out and have fun like the sport was intended for!
Old 12-17-2015, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekcivic14
Yeah I just cut it off there to make it easier to find... And are je not quality pistons? Or do you mean more suitable pistons? Like I said I don't really have a BUDGET but I'm not trying to spend money I really don't need to
JE pistons are great, you got a steal in regards to the reliability they'll offer you. The only sorta bad thing is the compression, but as you've said it's not like you're going out to make the fastest car or anything..even then as I've stated, this people way over play the 'don't go low comp' game. Sure, high comp may be better, but you run into knock faster and, once again, you got a steal.

It'll be exciting to see how your build turns out.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, suitable would have been a better choice of words.

Also, are you going through any sort of PT for your arm/hand? How much feeling, and use, are you expecting to come back, if at all? I'm curious how you will deal with torque steer considering your other hand will be used to shift.
Old 12-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Aggression
Yes, suitable would have been a better choice of words.

Also, are you going through any sort of PT for your arm/hand? How much feeling, and use, are you expecting to come back, if at all? I'm curious how you will deal with torque steer considering your other hand will be used to shift.
Going to pt twice a week for an hour as of now it's a waiting game until my next surgery to try to get movement in all of the fingers... They aren't quite sure how much I'll get back but they are impressed of my current progress so far xrays from 8 to 12 weeks from the accident already show the bone is almost one again and healed! It normally doesn't look this good til like 4 to 5 months so that's a plus... As for torque steer in the car currently isn't bad but it's with 140hp so I might unfortunately have to put power steering back in... But maybe not it shouldn't be too bad for me to handle with the lsd
Old 12-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JE pistons are great, you got a steal in regards to the reliability they'll offer you. The only sorta bad thing is the compression, but as you've said it's not like you're going out to make the fastest car or anything..even then as I've stated, this people way over play the 'don't go low comp' game. Sure, high comp may be better, but you run into knock faster and, once again, you got a steal.

It'll be exciting to see how your build turns out.
Very true and that's one of. The reasons I want for the deal I figured there really wasn't a negative except the possible increased spool time and decreased out of boost power... I guess this might be the build to prove to people low comp isn't bad lol
Also I haven't noted yet that I intend on using e85 especially since there is a station even closer than the current one that is gonna provide it!
Old 12-18-2015, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

je 9.1 comp here
Old 12-18-2015, 08:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by ls joker
je 9.1 comp here
Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2015, 08:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Can your motor even move with out a tow truck???!!
Old 12-18-2015, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbohatch96y7
Can your motor even move with out a tow truck???!!
What? Lol
Old 12-18-2015, 04:03 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just wanted to say I ran SMF (modified) and G (stock) classes for a few years. Unless something has changed recently (doubtful), you absolutely can run an aftermarket turbo kit on a vehicle that wasn't turbocharged from the factory. I ran a 2000 Civic Si (EM1) that still had the B16 and a GT2860RS turbo.

With that being said, depending on course setup of course, due to tire restrictions anything over 250 - 300 whp is usually a waste. Some sort of LSD is definitely required at that point and unless you get a quick spooling turbo, the N/A cars are usually quicker. People underestimate the power of a driver mod in all forms of racing.

Most of your typical course setups (unless you have like a 4.9 FD Or something) will only use 1st and 2nd gears... Rarely do I ever get into 3rd gear, usually only a huge courses at an Air Force base. Part of the reason for this is to make dissimilar cars more competitive with each other and the main reason is safety. Let's face it, it's usually a bunch of n00bs mixed in with experienced drivers at local meets haha!

I get your plan for a do everything car, I do the same thing. The problem is, they usually end up making you crave for something more specific for one reason or another, and you waste more money... Good Luck!
Old 12-18-2015, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmmm... I wonder if Laguna Seca has any open track days... that would be a blast.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by OneBadTurboCRV
I just wanted to say I ran SMF (modified) and G (stock) classes for a few years. Unless something has changed recently (doubtful), you absolutely can run an aftermarket turbo kit on a vehicle that wasn't turbocharged from the factory. I ran a 2000 Civic Si (EM1) that still had the B16 and a GT2860RS turbo.

With that being said, depending on course setup of course, due to tire restrictions anything over 250 - 300 whp is usually a waste. Some sort of LSD is definitely required at that point and unless you get a quick spooling turbo, the N/A cars are usually quicker. People underestimate the power of a driver mod in all forms of racing.

Most of your typical course setups (unless you have like a 4.9 FD Or something) will only use 1st and 2nd gears... Rarely do I ever get into 3rd gear, usually only a huge courses at an Air Force base. Part of the reason for this is to make dissimilar cars more competitive with each other and the main reason is safety. Let's face it, it's usually a bunch of n00bs mixed in with experienced drivers at local meets haha!

I get your plan for a do everything car, I do the same thing. The problem is, they usually end up making you crave for something more specific for one reason or another, and you waste more money... Good Luck!
Thanks buddy! I know I'm gonna sway one way or another but for now I'm looking to experience everything...
Old 12-18-2015, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmmm... I wonder if Laguna Seca has any open track days... that would be a blast.
That would be awesome!
Old 12-20-2015, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No real update yet.... Except my billet aluminium shifter bushing came in... Still debating using the poly stabilizer bushing for the master kit I intend on buying or buying a solid one as well... Any recommendations?
Old 12-20-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

I recommend you DON'T buy any of it until you solidify a bit more of the racing you're working with more. This is one of those items that you waste money on because you still haven't covered the basics on these multiple forms of racing.

When you're starting to purchase VERY specific parts for specific types of racing, you've just pushed yourself right out of the very other types of racing you want to experiment with.

So, no.. Stick with the OEM, for now, get the other basics down..
Turbocharger, brakes pads, radiator, fluids, tyres, suspension, standard stabilizer bars...etc. Then, enter into a few events in the type of racing you need. THEN start trying to for the "cute" stuff. If not, you'll burn through your "budget" in no time flat.

What you're asking about is considered the cute stuff..
Old 12-22-2015, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As it is an old car most of the bushings are worn and torn... I see no disadvantages with replacecing everything with a poly kit. No matter what type of racing correct?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

interesting build, thanks for sharing. Best of luck.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

As it is an old car most of the bushings are worn and torn... I see no disadvantages with replacecing everything with a poly kit. No matter what type of racing correct?
Again.. No. That's why there are differing materials for different forms of racing. Some use polyurethane, others, hardened rubber. Lastly, some are a solid bushing.

If they are worn, then sure, replace it. But when you start replacing a few things and not others, it can cause the car to possibly vibrate undesirably.

Last edited by TheShodan; 12-25-2015 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The one nice thing about solid bushings and engine mounts is you figure what parts are loose on your car lol.

After running spherical arms, heim joints, and solid engine mounts in my S13 (no rubber or poly anywhere, even have billet steering rack bushings) I'll never run anything ever again in any car I own. You only notice vibrations at idle and very low rpm/speed. The typical ride height of full coilovers drowns out any vibrations you'll feel. There is increased road noise since there's nothing there to buffer sounds but again your average exhaust (I straight pipe literally everything) will drown out most of that noise except for low rpm cruise where you get a mixture of exhaust drone and road noise. In my experience that drowns out all but the most serious of stereo systems but because race car I don't mind lol.
Old 12-25-2015, 04:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

vibrations at the beginnkng. at times they are worst than in the video. thoze are just 70a also
Old 12-25-2015, 01:24 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yea again you'll only notice that at low speed or being stopped. Vibrations get worse during clutch engagement. The noise I hear is textbook something is loose. In the end I had to do a decent amount to stop things like that.

I had to put little cushions on the glovebox to keep it from rattling, same with the center console, plus making sure every fastener was tight.

It sounds weird but I've always noticed slightly harsher vibrations with your typical poly mounts because the driveline can still move to some degree. With solid mounts nothing can move at all so to a certain extent some of the vibrations are canceled out. I noticed this more on my S13 when moving from poly mounts to Xcessive solid mounts.

Ultimately it all comes down to personal preference and what you're willing to endure. For me personally I've daily driven track cars with no creature comforts other than a radio, no AC, heat, or windshield wipers lol. After driving something like that going back to driving something with stock suspension feels all loose and gooey.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck on your build. Loving it.

Quick Reply: EKCivic14's "Budget" DA9 Turbo Integra Progress Build