Notices

EGT (thermocouple) probe question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default EGT (thermocouple) probe question...

I had to buy an thermocouple (k-type) sililar to this one for a school project. I was wondering if I could use this type of probe for some dyno pulls?

Thanks..
Old 07-28-2005, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EGT (thermocouple) probe question... (2point2)

Hmmm...you will want a sheathed probe, not just the bare wire, typically a 3/16" SS sheath (the welded tip is at the end of the sheath). Alpha Controls in Mississauga...

Get a 1/8" NPT half-coupling welded to your exhaust runner of choice (some have a preference to #3). Get the coupling centred in the pipe and 3/4" off your manifold head flange. Use a bored-though compression fitting, 3/16" tube (TC sheath size) to 1/8" NPT - this may come with the probe, if not get from your local Parker rep, there will be one in the Cambridge area, or you can come to Brantford Hydraulics near my work...).

What are you using to read the probe...?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: EGT (turncoat)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turncoat &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmmm...you will want a sheathed probe, not just the bare wire, typically a 3/16" SS sheath (the welded tip is at the end of the sheath). Alpha Controls in Mississauga...

Get a 1/8" NPT half-coupling welded to your exhaust runner of choice (some have a preference to #3). Get the coupling centred in the pipe and 3/4" off your manifold head flange. Use a bored-though compression fitting, 3/16" tube (TC sheath size) to 1/8" NPT - this may come with the probe, if not get from your local Parker rep, there will be one in the Cambridge area, or you can come to Brantford Hydraulics near my work...).

What are you using to read the probe...?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow! thanks for the reply..

for my project we are using a Watlow temperature controller to read/control the temp of a strip heater (great little unitl.. usingPID control). i've been placing the tip of the wire right on the strip heater.. ?

Edit:

For my CAR i am planning on using a PLX M or R series..