Notices

EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go??

Hey...I remember someone not to long ago showing a picture of an o2 sensor on the downpipe, where it is flanged for the turbo....he used the hole for the internal wastegate.

would this work for an egt? That way in the future if you wanted to sell the manifold there wouldnt be a hole in it...

or is this just a stooopid idea?
Old 12-11-2002, 01:40 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go?? (B18EG6)

direp972 has this setup i believe.
Old 12-11-2002, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go?? (falc0n)

Thanks...Will it be just as accurate? Are there less/more problems associated with this type of setup?
Old 12-11-2002, 03:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go?? (B18EG6)

Don't put the EGT in the downpipe. It will give you a lower reading then normal. Put is in the exhaust manifold, close to the head.
Old 12-11-2002, 03:29 PM

Default Re: EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go?? (AfroPuff)

Autometer says to put in on the manifold if your car is N/A. They say put it in the DP if your car is turboed (which is what I did). The readings from the DP will be higher b/c of the turbo heating up the air. This isn't a problem though. It just means that you will have different readings for what is rich and what is lean than someone that has there probe on the manifold. Best thing to do is get on a dyno and see for yourself what is lean and what is rich on the EGT.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go?? (AfroPuff)

What is the for? If the temps were a little "higher becausethe turbo is heating up the air" than wouldnt you be a little on the safe side?
Old 12-11-2002, 04:57 PM

afropuff, why, honestly, do you even post in here? wait till you know what you're talking about before answering or critisizing. the dyno idea is fine.
Old 12-11-2002, 05:13 PM

Default Re: EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go?? (sutrusu)

If I am wrong correct me please. But if I am right, agree with me and add on or comment. Anyone else have any helpful insight for this guys thread?
Old 12-11-2002, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go?? (maxpsi)

Autometer only says to put egt probe in downpipe on turbo motors because their gauge maxes out at 1600F which is not enough range to put into the exhaust manifold before the turbo. Even a stock ecu gsr with a turbo runs more temp than that on the freeway. I would suggest a guage (apexi or greddy) that you can put into the exhaust manifold and stay away from the autometer. IMO
Old 12-11-2002, 05:24 PM

Default Re: EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go?? (turbohonda)

The hottest mine has been was close to 1400 and that was on the freeway doing about 90 mph. It's is working great for me. No complaints here. Good point though. It may be totally different cases with different setups also.
Old 12-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: EGT placed on downpipe, where an internal wastegate would go?? (maxpsi)

afropuff, why, honestly, do you even post in here? wait till you know what you're talking about before answering or critisizing. the dyno idea is fine.
haha....thank you, couldnt agree more

Autometer only says to put egt probe in downpipe on turbo motors because their gauge maxes out at 1600F which is not enough range to put into the exhaust manifold before the turbo. Even a stock ecu gsr with a turbo runs more temp than that on the freeway. I would suggest a guage (apexi or greddy) that you can put into the exhaust manifold and stay away from the autometer. IMO
never thought of that! Interesting

The hottest mine has been was close to 1400 and that was on the freeway doing about 90 mph. It's is working great for me. No complaints here. Good point though. It may be totally different cases with different setups also.
Yes I was under the impression anything above....say, 1375 was getting into danger. I just got a greddy one from Liam (thanks!!!) at an unbeatable price...I cant wait to hook it up...just seeing if I want to do it the easy way, or the not so easy way