Notices

egt or no egt. i have an aem wideband.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default egt or no egt. i have an aem wideband.

like the topic says. i have the aem wideband, and i know it cant tell changes in timming. but i am wondering, i am about to delete radio and put boost controller and turbo timer in its place. should i leave room for an egt? do you feel that an egt is necessary? when we were racing buicks, all we needed was a knock detector. far cry from todays technology. t.i.a.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: egt or no egt. i have an aem wideband. (boostedcivicsir)

i dont think you need and egt gauge if you have the wideband. the wideband will be more accurate than the egt any way. someone please correct me if i am wrong.
Old 02-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like the topic says. i have the aem wideband, and i know it cant tell changes in timming. but i am wondering, i am about to delete radio and put boost controller and turbo timer in its place. should i leave room for an egt? do you feel that an egt is necessary? when we were racing buicks, all we needed was a knock detector. far cry from todays technology. t.i.a.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldn't bother with egt if you have a/f meter.. its never a bad thing to have more readings, but you can go around without egt.
Old 02-28-2004, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: egt or no egt. i have an aem wideband. (vtec.dc2)

Get an EGT gauge when you can, mine is invaluable... A wideband is great, but for daily driving I find my EGT gauge much more useful under hard driving. Get familiar with what your EGT should be at under certain circumstances and if it is ever drastically different then you know somethin is wrong. In conjunction with an AFR gauge its a great monitoring tool.
Old 02-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: egt or no egt. i have an aem wideband. (mskibbz-T)

A wideband O2 can't be more accurate than an EGT. They measure two entirely different things. Both together is more usefull then each alone if you know what your looking at. I would do more research about the WB you already have before picking up somehting new to learn.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: egt or no egt. i have an aem wideband. (Bailhatch)

i remember egt's from the buick days. it will tell differences in timming. thats cant be told by the wideband. money being an issue right know, i think the wideband will be enough. thanks for the input.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostedcivicsir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i remember egt's from the buick days. it will tell differences in timming. thats cant be told by the wideband. money being an issue right know, i think the wideband will be enough. thanks for the input.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It can tell a lot more than just timing once you are familiar with it, but I would definitely get a wideband before an egt gauge... I do recommend getting an EGT gauge as soon as you can afford one tho