Notices

EG hatch all done...before and after pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EG hatch all done...before and after pics

Here's my before boost and after boost pics. Came out OK but not the greatest looking dump pipe at all. I'll probly get it redone at another time, but hey, it works.

Only got 7K in this car TOTAL, including buying the car...man, only with a civic...

I do have one question that I can't seem to find on line...As usual, my wastegate BARELY fits under the hood and here is my issue. I want to set up a MAC boost solenoid to control with my Neptune rtp, but the only way I see this set up with an external gate is by using the top port...and there is my problem...it wont fit (beleave me I tried)

Can I set this solenoid up in a way that just uses the bottom port on the gate? It sure looks like I can set it up like this, I can just set it up like an internal wategate (for the vacuum lines), but I'm not sure if this will work or not...I put a pic of what I'm talking about at the bottom.
Attached Images    
Old 11-09-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: EG hatch all done...before and after pics

nope. not if you're planning on using an electronic boost controller. I'm sure there are barb or pushlock fittings of the same pitch that are smaller (or "shorter") than the ones that come on a TiAL (or equivalent). If you're worried about hood clearance, time to shave a few ribs off the hood, or get an a steel elbow for that wastegate and redo the dumptube.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy turbo feed line
Old 11-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That figures...I think I'll just get me a .7 bar spring and change it out...I asked for a .6 when I ordered my gate and they sent me a .5...bastards...but it does give me a GOOD reason to have that ugly *** dump pipe remade with an elbow. I figure it out...still gotta get a decent street tune on this car...probley better to leave it a .5 while I'm doing my basic tuning anyway...Thanks for the quick response man...
Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Lewy. Dee Ayy
holy turbo feed line
It's just a piece of hose wrapped around the line so it won't rub on stuff...kinda cheesy, but I had it laying around so I just split it and wrapped it around. I really should get a black one....
Old 11-09-2013, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zeusfire69
It's just a piece of hose wrapped around the line so it won't rub on stuff...kinda cheesy, but I had it laying around so I just split it and wrapped it around. I really should get a black one....
No. get a thermal sleeve for that. Be it black or blue, that hose you had "lying around" it will simply melt at the turbocharger and create a nice gooey mess.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
No. get a thermal sleeve for that. Be it black or blue, that hose you had "lying around" it will simply melt at the turbocharger and create a nice gooey mess.
Hmmm...didn't think if the melty thing....I had a piece of this same hose on my last setup in the same place for about 4 years and never had it melt...BUT, it was trimmed back quite a bit further from the turbo...Please tell me more about this thermal sleeving...can't say I've seen what you are talking about...Can you post a link?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Zeusfire69
Hmmm...didn't think if the melty thing....I had a piece of this same hose on my last setup in the same place for about 4 years and never had it melt...BUT, it was trimmed back quite a bit further from the turbo...Please tell me more about this thermal sleeving...can't say I've seen what you are talking about...Can you post a link?
Your increased cylinder pressures with turbocharging by the components are over 4 times the temperature than what that hose can withstand.

Let's just say this. with NO load on the car, driving on the highway, TUNED, your exhaust is seeing over 1400*F. (radient comes out to about 1000*). Either use a braided line and leave it, or use this DEI sleeving.

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...eeve-tape-kits
Old 11-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nope. not if you're planning on using an electronic boost controller.
why not? I've done it plenty of times with a tial, most were because of this same issue; no clearance for the top port to be attached.

you can also get a manual boost controller. I recommend the Hallman by far.

or as you said, you can get a different spring.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your increased cylinder pressures with turbocharging by the components are over 4 times the temperature than what that hose can withstand.

Let's just say this. with NO load on the car, driving on the highway, TUNED, your exhaust is seeing over 1400*F. (radient comes out to about 1000*). Either use a braided line and leave it, or use this DEI sleeving.

http://www.designengineering.com/cat...eeve-tape-kits
I'm not sure your seeing my setup right...the oil line IS a breaded steel line that I bought from treadstone performance....the blue is just a cover so it doesn't rub on the valve cover a get worn. Like I said, I had a piece of this same hose on my last car in the same place for almost 4 years and nothing happened to it.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motoxxxman
why not? I've done it plenty of times with a tial, most were because of this same issue; no clearance for the top port to be attached.

you can also get a manual boost controller. I recommend the Hallman by far.

or as you said, you can get a different spring.
So now I have two different answers...will a boost solenoid work without the top port, basically like a manual controller, or not? Did you use a MAC, and if so, what ports did you use? (just like the pic?)
Old 11-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

you can use just the bottom port but depending on the spring in the wastegate and your desired pressure level you might have issues with precise boost control, as the solenoid bleeds pressure from/or adds pressure to the top portion of the wastegate to get accurate boost control
Old 11-12-2013, 02:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use some eagle1 wheel cleaner and wipe down the engine bay....it'll make that white sparkle like new without having to scrub
Old 11-12-2013, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottdh20
Use some eagle1 wheel cleaner and wipe down the engine bay....it'll make that white sparkle like new without having to scrub
I know...it's nasty...I just haven't had time to do it yet...I should have done it when I swapped, but I had to hurry nd get it done as it was my only car at that time...now I have another car for a daily...so I can take my time...
Old 11-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
you can use just the bottom port but depending on the spring in the wastegate and your desired pressure level you might have issues with precise boost control, as the solenoid bleeds pressure from/or adds pressure to the top portion of the wastegate to get accurate boost control
I don't really plan on going any higher than 10-12 psi at the most anyway...I'm just afraid of boost creep...Do you think it will stay stable at these low boost levels? BTW the spring in the W/G is only 6psi...
Old 11-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My tial and turbo smart 2stage controller hold boost great. If anything I see 1 psi creep then settling back down. This doesn't use the top port
Old 11-12-2013, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm using neptune...so I REALLY want to use the PWM boost control in the RTP since I can have multiple maps and boost by gear/rpm control..and i need to use a MAC solenoid. Is the turbosmart solenoid set up the same as a MAC? It doesn't look like it is...it only has 2 ports....