Notices

ECT at 205 idling with fans on after highway drive

Old 05-14-2018, 03:31 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: ECT at 205 idling with fans on after highway drive

Heat wrapped manifold, down pipe, and dump tube. Also managed to do a make-shift block off plate for the opening to the driver's side of the radiator, and sealed around it with weather stripping. It leaves a few inches of space behind the intercooler for air to flow through that, then directs it all into the radiator.

Result: ECT stayed at 188° while cruising, as compared to 197° before these changes with roughly the same ambient temperature. Also noticed that temps dropped much more quickly once the car was moving or fan turned on at idle. I am thinking the heat wrap helping to keep overall temps much lower under the hood is attributing to this.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 2x0
Heat wrapped manifold, down pipe, and dump tube. Also managed to do a make-shift block off plate for the opening to the driver's side of the radiator, and sealed around it with weather stripping. It leaves a few inches of space behind the intercooler for air to flow through that, then directs it all into the radiator.

Result: ECT stayed at 188° while cruising, as compared to 197° before these changes with roughly the same ambient temperature. Also noticed that temps dropped much more quickly once the car was moving or fan turned on at idle. I am thinking the heat wrap helping to keep overall temps much lower under the hood is attributing to this.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that’s more like it. Good work man. Sounds like your car is running as cool as mine now lol.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:39 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Now that’s more like it. Good work man. Sounds like your car is running as cool as mine now lol.
Lol not sure. It definitely stays cool as long as air is moving now. But how long/how hot is it normal to get when sitting at idle after a drive?

I am changing my fan to turn on at 197° instead of 200°. But after coming to a stop it only takes less than a minute for it to get hot enough to turn the fan on.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Fan should be plenty when its low speed.

Can you take some pictures of the work you've done?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:37 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Fan should be plenty when its low speed.

Can you take some pictures of the work you've done?
I can post pics, but it's not pretty lol. The block off plate is thin sheet aluminum from Home Depot, that I cut with tin snips, bent by hand and zip-tied in place, but it's plenty sturdy. It was more to prove out the concept than to create a final show-quality piece.

My heat wrap on the downpipe and dump tube is alright. But I did not plan on doing the manifold as I didn't think it would be possible without removing it from the engine. I realized that I could slide the pieces around the tubes so I went ahead and did each runner, but they are all separate pieces with separate zip-ties and it looks like sh*t.

But hey, if it works I don't really care. I kind of like having a rough-around-the-edges "home made" feel to things, especially if they work well. And I know the car is never going to be show quality.

Old 05-14-2018, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NAh its cool. Some times its hard to imagine what your talking about and pictures clear it up. Im sure that plate helps alot.
Old 05-16-2018, 03:34 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Today was a hot day for MN (85*), and all was going great. Did some pulls while tuning and temps were all good.

Until I started driving home, after about 5 minutes on the highway, it crept up to 197 and the fan stayed on. So I increased the fan trigger to 200, it crept up again and stayed there with the fan on the rest of the way home.

It decreased a little when I came to a stop, but mostly stayed at 200-202 with fan running the whole time.

Idk what to do next? Already done just about everything I can think of. About to just say screw it and let it run at 205 on hot days

Any suggestions? I can probably do a little more work on the front bumper. Could raise or vent the hood?

Only other thing would be to do the tucked Scirroco radiator, then could maybe run a puller fan. But that would be investing $100’s more when I just put in a new fan and rad
Old 05-16-2018, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by 2x0
Today was a hot day for MN (85*), and all was going great. Did some pulls while tuning and temps were all good.

Until I started driving home, after about 5 minutes on the highway, it crept up to 197 and the fan stayed on. So I increased the fan trigger to 200, it crept up again and stayed there with the fan on the rest of the way home.

It decreased a little when I came to a stop, but mostly stayed at 200-202 with fan running the whole time.

Idk what to do next? Already done just about everything I can think of. About to just say screw it and let it run at 205 on hot days

Any suggestions? I can probably do a little more work on the front bumper. Could raise or vent the hood?

Only other thing would be to do the tucked Scirroco radiator, then could maybe run a puller fan. But that would be investing $100’s more when I just put in a new fan and rad
Vent the bumper for more area to the radiator. The mood does nothing.

Give us the entire list of what you're done including dates performed. Give us a chronology here, please
Old 05-16-2018, 05:14 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Vent the bumper for more area to the radiator. The mood does nothing.

Give us the entire list of what you're done including dates performed. Give us a chronology here, please
Okay sure. It’s just been tough because with each mod, the ambient temps have been increasing. So while I’ve seen improvement, every time it gets hotter out some of the gains are lost.

Summer ‘17- Had full Fluidyne rad and dual pusher ebay fans. Would get hot idling, decided to get half rad because the full one was touching my turbo.

December ‘17 - Installed Skunk2 Alpha half rad and 12” spal pusher fan. Couldn’t run a puller bc of waste gate.

April ‘18 - Started to warm up outside, ECT was hot while cruising at higher speed. 60 degrees ambient.
- Replaced thermostat and coolant with OEM
- Added turbo blanket

May ‘18 - Still got hot. 75-85 degree ambient
- Opened up vents in bumper (1.5” hole saw)
- Heat wrapped manifold, exhaust, dump tube
- Added block off plate to drivers side opening

Today I am driving without the front bumper. Will see this afternoon if it stays cool enough, then I know I can get there by getting more air flow to the radiator.

Last edited by 2x0; 05-17-2018 at 04:41 AM.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:18 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Today was another hot day. With front bumper cover removed, it stayed at 190 all the way home.

It was magnificent.

Now I just gotta figure out how to get enough air flow thru the bumper so that it runs like this all the time.
Old 05-17-2018, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has nobody suggested Water Wetter?

Drain 12oz of coolant and add this product. I had these same issues. Switched fan to puller and added Water Wetter. No problems from then on out
Old 05-17-2018, 02:24 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by [Ennis_D]
Has nobody suggested Water Wetter?

Drain 12oz of coolant and add this product. I had these same issues. Switched fan to puller and added Water Wetter. No problems from then on out
It has been mentioned, just not with any explanation and I haven't looked into it yet. Thanks for making it very straightforward, I will go ahead and add this as well

I wish I could run a puller fan. My waste gate placement won't allow it unless maybe I do a tucked rad.
Old 05-24-2018, 02:20 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so now I have new thermostat, oem coolant with water wetter and a little extra water in the mix. Heat wrap, turbo blanket, block off plate, manifold/rad heat shield, front bumper cut out to entire size of intercooler and as much rad as possible. All this is with S2 half rad and Spal 12" pusher fan.

Today was 90 out, as hot as it gets here. It stayed cool for a long time, but sure enough after ten minutes on the freeway it got hot. It crept up to 200, and the fan stayed on the rest of the drive home.

Not sure what else to do. I guess I'll try more venting and ducting if I can figure out a way. What really bothered me is that even after slowing down with the fan on, it did not cool down significantly. IAT was high too.

I dont get how some people have similar setups in much warmer climates and have no issues whatsoever.
Old 05-24-2018, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Okay so now I have new thermostat, oem coolant with water wetter and a little extra water in the mix. Heat wrap, turbo blanket, block off plate, manifold/rad heat shield, front bumper cut out to entire size of intercooler and as much rad as possible. All this is with S2 half rad and Spal 12" pusher fan.

Today was 90 out, as hot as it gets here. It stayed cool for a long time, but sure enough after ten minutes on the freeway it got hot. It crept up to 200, and the fan stayed on the rest of the drive home.

Not sure what else to do. I guess I'll try more venting and ducting if I can figure out a way. What really bothered me is that even after slowing down with the fan on, it did not cool down significantly. IAT was high too.

I dont get how some people have similar setups in much warmer climates and have no issues whatsoever.
crazy its giving you this much trouble. If there were any justice in the world you would be cold as ice at this point after everything you've tried lol. I was wondering if the water wetter would have any effect... is that the only change since the last time you posted about it?
Old 05-24-2018, 05:52 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
crazy its giving you this much trouble. If there were any justice in the world you would be cold as ice at this point after everything you've tried lol. I was wondering if the water wetter would have any effect... is that the only change since the last time you posted about it?
I added the water wetter, but also reinstalled the front bumper cover, this time fully cut out in the grille area so air flow to the fmic and rad is almost completely unobstructed.

Only thing I can do now is trim some metal behind the bumper cover, and try to add some more ducting or plates to funnel air to the rad.

Or, try a puller fan instead of a pusher. I think if I flip my wastegate around so the vacuum port is on the other side, the fan might fit, but would be pretty much touching the wastegate. This would also mean that I turn my dump tube into a hood exit.

Last edited by 2x0; 05-25-2018 at 04:22 AM.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hood vent would probably fix everything honestly. That's what Im going to have to do as I have the same problem. That and/or a bigger/custom radiator
Old 05-25-2018, 08:41 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
Hood vent would probably fix everything honestly. That's what Im going to have to do as I have the same problem. That and/or a bigger/custom radiator
I've been wondering about this. Some say that it won't help anything. But I know that when I pop my hood after a drive, it is like opening the door to the oven. Hot air is trapped in there and just blasts into your face. I am thinking that giving it a means to exit would be beneficial.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Skunk2 Alpha isn't bad at all, but you'll need the CRX/EF one (Part number 349-05-1550 ), and still need the 12" Puller SPAL fan to work (30102029). Plus, you'll need to relocate your catch can.

https://webstore.spalusa.com/en-us/p...-12-c-12v.aspx
How is it the regular ebay flat fans have a higher cfm than the spal fans but yet still the spal ones cool better? The ebay ones are mostly 1700cfm and this spal fan in the link is about 1300cfm
Old 05-26-2018, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thugsbryan
How is it the regular ebay flat fans have a higher cfm than the spal fans but yet still the spal ones cool better? The ebay ones are mostly 1700cfm and this spal fan in the link is about 1300cfm
The eBay fans are complete garbage! They obviously over rate their cfm flow lol. The last 2 cars I tuned locally had those eBay fans and they both had major cooling issues. Problems completely when away when it was replaced by an oem fan and shroud.
Old 05-26-2018, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr

The eBay fans are complete garbage! They obviously over rate their cfm flow lol. The last 2 cars I tuned locally had those eBay fans and they both had major cooling issues. Problems completely when away when it was replaced by an oem fan and shroud.
Is it legal for them to lie about the cfm tho, do u guys know the jpi brand fans? How good are they, are they better than the ebay fans
Old 05-26-2018, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thugsbryan
Is it legal for them to lie about the cfm tho, do u guys know the jpi brand fans? How good are they, are they better than the ebay fans
there's tons of replicas/ complete rip offs all over eBay so I'm sure its legal. Search for mugen stuff and you'll see tons of crap.
Old 05-26-2018, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by H22Honda98
there's tons of replicas/ complete rip offs all over eBay so I'm sure its legal. Search for mugen stuff and you'll see tons of crap.
It may not even be legal due to copywriter/ trademark laws, but most aren't even in a jurisdiction in which any LAS would tie them up anyway. So this is all moot.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
I've been wondering about this. Some say that it won't help anything. But I know that when I pop my hood after a drive, it is like opening the door to the oven. Hot air is trapped in there and just blasts into your face. I am thinking that giving it a means to exit would be beneficial.

Maybe a quick easy way to test if that would help is to add a few washers to your hood hinges to help vent the rear, Ive seen some fast turbo CRX rolling that way. This might give air an additional path to exit, its purely speculative but worth a try.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boosted Chemist
Maybe a quick easy way to test if that would help is to add a few washers to your hood hinges to help vent the rear, Ive seen some fast turbo CRX rolling that way. This might give air an additional path to exit, its purely speculative but worth a try.
That isn't going to help much. The rear of the hood is actually in a high pressure area.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECT at 205 idling with fans on after highway drive