Notices

Ebay's Piston choice Selections

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebay's Piston choice Selections

good day,

i am turbo charging my b16. Nothing crazy, sub 400whp. My car needs new rings. Instead of just replacing stock rings I was going to put in put in forged rods with stronger pistons.

this is sort of a budget build. EBay's offerings are tough.

here are the 2 pistons I narrowed down to.

npr's turbo pistons with a cr of 8:58:1

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Nippon-Racing-JDM-Honda-Turbo-B-Series-Pistons-B16A-B18B-B18C-81-0mm-Floating-N/181659514837?hash=item2a4bc037d5:g:9YsAAOSwajVUNtX x

the next lowest cr piston I can find is 10:8:2:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/JDM-Floating-Pin-NIPPON-RACING-Honda-PR3-B16A-Pistons-NPR-Rings-STD-81-00mm/181629045752?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frove r.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feu id%3Df4c2fbf638874d1690c2ce1903ffaed4%26bu%3D44180 925213%26loc%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.com%252 Fulk%252Fitm%252F181629045752%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu% 26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0&ul_noapp= true

I figure the higher cr would be nicer out of boost but would limit power down the road.

will the 8:58:1 cr pull a check engine light on a obd2 motor come inspection time?

just looking for some thoughts thank you
Old 11-10-2017, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts
Default re: Ebay's Piston choice Selections

Ebay, 8.5cr, boost, CEL, and inspections. None of that fits together.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ebay's Piston choice Selections

Appreciate the smart troll reply. My question was concerning if the 8:58:1 will get cell on a obd2 engine come inspection time.

If if you don't have helpful information regarding that question please spend your time trolling other threads.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the pr3 pistons. 8.5:1 is way too low for compression and will just make that little b16 even less fun to drive outside of boost.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will do thank you!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought nippon pistons because of the reviews on here. they call it the vitara pistons of b-series so decide to try it out on my turbo b16 since I had great success with ycp vitara pistons on my turbo d16 at 388whp. it was tuned on dyno made 340whp it failed within 2 weeks of operation. after doing more research i found out the nippon pistons are not as strong as ycp pistons. in fact they are weaker than oem pistons. . just like with any ebay parts its hit or a miss. some people had success with them and good for them. but for the most of us, not so much. oh well live and learn. my next piston will be supervtech pistons
Attached Images  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:04 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Yikes... Caveat Emptor....
Old 11-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by 91integraLSVTEC
after doing more research i found out the nippon pistons are not as strong as ycp pistons. in fact they are weaker than oem pistons.
I've heard the same thing in comparison of YCP to Nippon. Different metallurgy.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:47 AM
No Jodas

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Chinese metallurgy is always a hit or miss.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

why are you trying to go low CR?

they do sell good pistons on ebay, IMO $200-$300 is worth saving your engine. or even pick up a used set of forged pistons for the same price
Old 11-11-2017, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

i bought nippon pistons because of the reviews on here. they call it the vitara pistons of b-series so decide to try it out on my turbo b16 since I had great success with ycp vitara pistons on my turbo d16 at 388whp. it was tuned on dyno made 340whp it failed within 2 weeks of operation. after doing more research i found out the nippon pistons are not as strong as ycp pistons. in fact they are weaker than oem pistons. . just like with any ebay parts its hit or a miss. some people had success with them and good for them. but for the most of us, not so much. oh well live and learn. my next piston will be supervtech pistons
Wait, did get the wrong pistons?? Nippon turbo pistons are not PR3. You got the "high compression for all motor" pistons...
The "turbo" pistons are proven to 300-350whp.Some did like 4XX with them too.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The nippon p30 pistons I had said they were rated for 600whp, after cracking a sleeve wide open at a touch over 500whp (from running out of fuel) the piston surprisingly held together very well. I’ve also had their “turbo pistons” in my old hatch an those took a serious beating without any issues.
With that said I don’t think anyone is going to say nippon pistons are better then a quality forged set. I was simply giving my personal experience with nippon pistons.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard ok things from the npr.

i saw the 10:8 as well for the pr3 which appear to actually be p30 with that ratio for b16?

i just need a floating piston to run on the forged rods it got. 300whp on a tune is really all I am going for.

low compression 8:x:x would probably suck out of boost has many have said. And possibly give issue come inspection time when I need to make the car 'na'' again to pass

i don't want to run forged piston bc of piston slap and other issues forged pistons can give on dd.

definitely open to suggestions, looking to stay 81mm with a deglazing hone.

Thanks again
Old 11-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what ebay seller said. Take it for what it's worth Hello,

It all depends on what motor you install these in. If you have a B16 engine compression is the same. A lot of people put them in B18B and B18C engines and that is when compression increases up to 12:1ReplyYour previous messagethe part that confuses me is how 'These pistons are designed for High Compression All Motor Engines with a Compression ratio of 10.8:1 to 12.0:1 '

and stock civic si 2000 b16 compression is 10:2

Thank you for your help.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey there, did you go with the pr3 npr pistons I posted or did you go with a different set? I can't locate p30. P30 is higher compression than pr3?

thanks!

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
Go with the pr3 pistons. 8.5:1 is way too low for compression and will just make that little b16 even less fun to drive outside of boost.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I think I will get these p30's they have the 10:5 ration compared to the pr3 10:8 for b16

thanks for the guidance all. First turbo Honda build come from tt z's and rb swapped s13's.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cupajoe
Hey there, did you go with the pr3 npr pistons I posted or did you go with a different set? I can't locate p30. P30 is higher compression than pr3?

thanks!

If you are set on cast pistons then get these ones.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/JDM-NIPPON-RA...wAAOSwYGFUugQl
Old 11-11-2017, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I think I will get these p30's they have the 10:5 ration compared to the pr3 10:8 for b16

thanks for the guidance all. First turbo Honda build come from tt z's and rb swapped s13's.
Look. The pr3 are not strong. The "turbo" PR4 and the p30 are the strong pistons.And the seller also have i believe all pistons also for floating pin.

I would get the low 8.6 comprtession and mill the head 0.020". This will make the compression a comfortable 9.0:1. Good for the street and good for lowering detonation.
I believe you should get the P30 only if you dont plan on using forged rods. At lower power. Like 300whp MAX. And that not on a quick spooling high low torque turbo.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:30 PM

i don't want to run forged piston bc of piston slap and other issues forged pistons can give on dd.

definitely open to suggestions, looking to stay 81mm with a deglazing hone.

Thanks again
You aren't reading much about silicon content differences between forged piston manufacturers, have you?

"Piston Slap" isn't happening much anymore. Especially with a company like Wiseco, CP, & Arias.

Time for you to read up on these things before making such a conclusion about who can & who can't use forged poisons for a particular purpose.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, cost is a factor too here
Old 11-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
You aren't reading much about silicon content differences between forged piston manufacturers, have you?

"Piston Slap" isn't happening much anymore. Especially with a company like Wiseco, CP, & Arias.

Time for you to read up on these things before making such a conclusion about who can & who can't use forged poisons for a particular purpose.
I always heard that piston slap was more attributed to domestic V layout engines, and that JE pistons (for whatever reason) were the most prone to it on cold starts. I actually don't think I've ever heard piston slap on a 4 cyl.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chance EG
I always heard that piston slap was more attributed to domestic V layout engines, and that JE pistons (for whatever reason) were the most prone to it on cold starts. I actually don't think I've ever heard piston slap on a 4 cyl.
Welp. I've definitely heard it in one of my older JE Piston'd GS-R engines that I turbo'd a few years back. Just really loud at start-up then went away when the engine was at operating temperature. Car lasted over 75,000 miles daily from the owner, and only changed out the internals because he wanted a fresh start.

It's nothing to be concerned with really, as long as the p2w clearance is ok and allows for proper expansion.
Old 11-12-2017, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Wait, did get the wrong pistons?? Nippon turbo pistons are not PR3. You got the "high compression for all motor" pistons...
The "turbo" pistons are proven to 300-350whp.Some did like 4XX with them too.

yes i did go with the wrong pistons, i went with nippon pistons for a turbo setup. lesson learned.
They call it a turbo piston because its a copy of an LS piston which is known to lower compression with dish top design.. not that its cast with stronger metals lol i hope nobody believes that cause thats just not having common sense.

Originally Posted by Balor_Gr
Look. The pr3 are not strong. The "turbo" PR4 and the p30 are the strong pistons.And the seller also have i believe all pistons also for floating pin.
It kinda sounds like your saying nippon are casting these pistons differently. Judging by the other ebay products i really doubt a chinese company is actually spending money on quality control much less casting these pistons different for strength. there all the same. what makes a strong piston?? please dont tell me about there metal content without any proof of that. because the real proof is real world testing. a thicker ringland is what you want in a cast piston for turbo.pr3, p30 slightly different compression but same piston design. That being said it makes sense to buy a piston with thick ringlands rather than buying a copy. there is a very good reason why nippon pistons dont hold the same power as ycp pistons in d16. the ycp piston that we use IS NOT A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL D16 PISTON. If you ever looked at a ycp vitara piston it looks as if it was designed for turbo with extra oiling holes, super thick ringlands and beefy wrist pin. Thats a very strong piston design for a cast piston perfect for turbo. Therefore people should have never had said nippons are the vitara pistons of b-series. Let me make this clear, there are NO vitara like cast pistons for b-series. For the people reading this do not let people sucker you into believing in this. Nippons are just cheap oem replacements with no advantage over oem in terms of strength. only real advantage is you get to change the compression ratio for cheap and thats it.
here something else that will probably blow your mind. well not really.. an oem b16 short block is the strongest and safest b-series block to boost. according to you, the pr3 pistons from nippon are the weakest, i do agree nippon pistons are weaker than oem. with what ive learned so far shame on me for wanting to do an oem rebuild on a boosted b16 with nippon pistons. some people have success, most people dont. its largely due to chinese quality control.

pr3 oem vs nippon they look almost identical. b16 oem rods are beefy
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2017, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

That piston looks like it has more of a story to tell. Do you have any better pics of the crown? I can already see a bit of knock around the edges just in this picture.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It kinda sounds like your saying nippon are casting these pistons differently. Judging by the other ebay products i really doubt a chinese company is actually spending money on quality control much less casting these pistons different for strength. there all the same. what makes a strong piston?? please dont tell me about there metal content without any proof of that. because the real proof is real world testing. a thicker ringland is what you want in a cast piston for turbo.pr3, p30 slightly different compression but same piston design. That being said it makes sense to buy a piston with thick ringlands rather than buying a copy. there is a very good reason why nippon pistons dont hold the same power as ycp pistons in d16. the ycp piston that we use IS NOT A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL D16 PISTON. If you ever looked at a ycp vitara piston it looks as if it was designed for turbo with extra oiling holes, super thick ringlands and beefy wrist pin. Thats a very strong piston design for a cast piston perfect for turbo. Therefore people should have never had said nippons are the vitara pistons of b-series. Let me make this clear, there are NO vitara like cast pistons for b-series. For the people reading this do not let people sucker you into believing in this. Nippons are just cheap oem replacements with no advantage over oem in terms of strength. only real advantage is you get to change the compression ratio for cheap and thats it.
here something else that will probably blow your mind. well not really.. an oem b16 short block is the strongest and safest b-series block to boost. according to you, the pr3 pistons from nippon are the weakest, i do agree nippon pistons are weaker than oem. with what ive learned so far shame on me for wanting to do an oem rebuild on a boosted b16 with nippon pistons. some people have success, most people dont. its largely due to chinese quality control.
Ill tell you this bad news travel very fast. It they were bad we would know it long ago because many people use it.
On the other hand they market them as 40% stronger from oem and you broke a ring land at 340 whp. B16 ring land many time break around 300 whp leve so
they werent that 40% stronger right ? haha.
Mate look. Im not trying to say that some should get nippon as a ycp replacement BUT botht the p30 and pr4 are proven to hold from 300whp to like 400whp.
I still would not use them on anything over 350whp even on low compression pr4 BUT it has be done many many times

Quick Reply: Ebay's Piston choice Selections