Ebay turbo guys

Old 12-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ebay turbo guys

Originally Posted by azandford View Post
mine just fell apart and blew up my engine.....EBAY TURBOS FTL!!!
OMG MY TIMING BELT JUST BROKE AND BENT ALL MY VALVES, HONDA MOTORS FTL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111

Old 12-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen tons of failed Garretts...after >50,000 miles. Anyone seen at least a dozen CDM turbos last that long??

Maybe the people I know around here just purchase from the wrong ebay people. No local has had an ebay turbo last >500 miles that I know of. Same for the manifolds, the worst being the WG flange ripping off, dumping the real TIAL on the ground and putting a hole in the oil pan.

FYI In raw money, 4 ebay turbos = 1 Garrett. In final cost, 1 ebay turbo = 1 Garrett if you add up the time you spend changing 3 turbos and not being able to drive it. In the end it's your money guys, but I'm sure you wouldn't risk money on $20 CDM tires...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive also seen garretts last 10 miles, same with precision, turbonetics, etc etc. the only company ive seen last is holeset. its all apples and oranges. from all the ebay turbos that I PERSONALLY have ran, worked on, tuned, etc etc....i have not seen a single ONE fail because of poor parts/craftsmanship/cheap materials...no broken shafts, no wheels flying off, no housing cracking in 2, no "falling apart" the ONLY failure I PERSONALLY have witnessed, was blown seals....which i have seen from EVERY turbo mfg out there.....boils down to installation error. same could be said for broken shafts, seized turbo's etc etc. to much oil, lack of oil, coking of oil are all contributing factors in failures of ANY turbo.

judgemental people really annoy me. not pointing fingers (before people get pissy) just in general. open your eyes and make decisions for yourself based on your own experiences or research. this bandwagon shiz is hogwash
Old 12-18-2009, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Its not a bandwagon lol. Its cheap vs expensive design, manufacturing, and quality control.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg View Post
Its not a bandwagon lol. Its cheap vs expensive design, manufacturing, and quality control.
oh i didnt know an engineer from a turbo mfg was in the building!! you speak as if you know intimate details about such process'. hmmmm....or maybe your just on the bandwagon talking about stuff you dont know about. cheap vs expensive design? that makes me lol. mfg? do you really think that all these big name turbo mfg's make these turbo's themselves? lol they are outsourced just like everyone else. would you be absolutely floored if you found out Precision turbines where mfg'd in the same place as ebay turbines?! not like it hasnt happened MANY times before in other industries. (there are a couple exeptions like OE mfg's like Borgwarner etc) quality control? well you might have me on that one....then again when we buy ebay turbo's we already know the quailty is questionable....thats the risk you take.

again apples to oranges.

nobody has ever claimed that a ching chong turbo is better quality or performs better than the name brand counter parts...but they do get the job done for people that cant or wont spend the money on the more expensive stuff.

just like the crome vs hondata thing. crome is a cheap knock off, gets the job done, and is widely used by people on budgets.

different strokes for different folks. thats what makes the world go round.

my car/setup is not a piece of ****, or slow, or going to blow up because i chose to buy a $150 turbo over a $1500 turbo.