Notices

Ebay turbo guys

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Ebay turbo guys

Originally Posted by solo227
After his GARRETT RANDOMLY TOOK A CRAP...

<T.O.> The Proof is in the pudding<T.O.> LOL
Well I shouldn't say randomly...his return line was ran terribly and he neglected to fix it by getting the proper angled fittings. It would have happened on any turbo lol.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fast2camciv
you put a 61mm, journal bearing, divided housing turbo on a b16 and you didnt expect it to be laggy? lmao. where you even using a divided manifold? there is always 2 sides to every story. im also lol'ing at the garrett randomly taking a crap.

imo ANY turbo is a crap shoot. you show me 10 ebay turbo's that ****, and i will show you 10 name brand turbos that took a ****. at the end of the day its my money and i will spend it how i want. in my 16 years of building honda's i havent seen 1 brand of turbo that is rock solid. (and fwiw, Holesets and BW's beat any Garrett, Precision, Turbonetics.) thats my $.02
It was a last minute bandaid fix so he could finish out the season.....i surely wouldn't have chosen to run the turbo on that setup. It just has a homemade shorty miniram type manifold. From experience with other cars I have done with these turbos I just don't like them much. Sure you can't beat the price though...i think he picked this one up for $100 brand new from somebody.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

holsets are the ****!
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC4
Yeah. He was. Divided topmount with dual 44mm TiAL gates. This car reaches maximum pressure at like 7k to 7500 rpm, no joke.
I was talking about Jamie's car not Marcus's. They are both making around identical power. I think Marcus still has that crappy obx top mount...not sure if its divided or not.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SOHC_MShue
I was talking about Jamie's car not Marcus's. They are both making around identical power. I think Marcus still has that crappy obx top mount...not sure if its divided or not.
IIRC, I think it is. He may chime in.
Old 09-11-2009, 05:28 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

When I launch my D15 at 2,000 RPMs with my E-bay turbo installed, my front tires lift off the ground. It is scary when I floor it on the street I hit almost 100 PSI at a whopping 5,000 RPMs!!! The tires just blow themselves of the rims. I keep spares stashed at every stop sign so I can change them after I leave from a stand still. Also I did not know E-bay turbo's required oil. Mine has almost 300,000 miles on my car with that turbo (car has almost 1 million miles on stock motor) and it still works awesome.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

.... HILARIOUS

but all seriousness, i wold buy an ebay turbo in a heart beat

there is a website somewhere that rebuild chinese turbos with garrett internals (for only 220$)

does anyone remember this website? i am having trouble finding it but i've seen it before
Old 10-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump.. I need to find where to get this brand new ebay turbo(that I got for free) rebuilt.

Does anyone know?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:01 PM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for almost $100 shipdn why not buy a new ebay turbo?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hoya_10fintec
bump.. I need to find where to get this brand new ebay turbo(that I got for free) rebuilt.

Does anyone know?
Originally Posted by rick_rabies
for almost $100 shipdn why not buy a new ebay turbo?
LOL X2, its brand new, and you worried about it blowing already? ;-)
Old 10-01-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All I want to know is does anyone accually have PROOF that "no name" ebay turbos come

from china? I was told that some (not all) of them are "name brand" turbos just with the

name ground off. But through my own experience those turbos arent that bad. You just

have to break them in right. I would love to buy a BW and will one day but untill them my

T70 will do the job just fine.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Since when did you have to break a turbo in?

I guess thats and ebay thing...
Old 10-01-2009, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LS AzZkIkr
All I want to know is does anyone accually have PROOF that "no name" ebay turbos come

from china? I was told that some (not all) of them are "name brand" turbos just with the

name ground off. But through my own experience those turbos arent that bad. You just

have to break them in right. I would love to buy a BW and will one day but untill them my

T70 will do the job just fine.
I almost NEVER do this... in fact I frown upon it even when it's neccisarry.

Are you f'ing stupid? The only way you've EVER gotten a name brand turbo for cheaper because the name was ground off is if it was stolen.

Turbo manufactureres OBVIOUSLY profit from their business... in fact the Chinese turbo manufacturerers profit from their business... if they didn't they wouldn't do it.

GOOD turbo manufacturers charge more because they use higher quality materials, have more technically sound production methods, pay more qualified people to design and re-design their products and are constantly testing their equipment and generally offer at least a basic warranty against manufactuerer defects.

CHEAP turbo manufacturers use low in some cases VERY low quality materials, produce things in the cheapest way possible, steal other people design without any concern for whether or not they understand it or not or can reproduce it to equal quality, and NEVER test or warranty their products.

Does the fact that it was made in china make it inferior NOT NECCISARILY but VERY VERY likely... there is a reason that their manufacturing costs are so much lower than ours... and it's NOT cheap labor... it's an entire atmosphere of undercutting at ANY cost upto and including producing a product that will NEVER serve it's intended purpose.

A good friend of mine's brother in law is a high-up in Bic (he's actually one of the heirs to the company) and he oversaw the transition of their pen production from USA to China... it took 10 trips to china and 3 failed runs of pens before they found a manufacturer in china that ACUTALLY made even SEMI working pens. This is with Bic shipping ALL of the supplies required to produce the pens to ensure no poor quality materials being used... guess what... the first 2 shops sold the materials bought substandard materials and "produced" pens that didn't F'ing write. Keep in mind this is an evalutory batch that determines whether they get the contract or not... and they are SOOO goddam cheap that they screwed themselves out of the contract.

Another story... Another friend is the manager of a local parts distibuter... when one of their manufacturers switched their production from US to China their new unit failure rate went from 10-15 upto 40-50pct IE... in US 10-15pct of the parts would have a returnable problem... in China that went upto 40-50pct. The way my friend found out was that obviously the parts started getting sent back WAY more often (CV Joints) my friends shop tried to install 3 BRAND NEW axels into a customers car and FINALLY on the 4th axel it fit...

SO as it turns out that the manufacturer literally didn't even bother returning the faulty axels... they were paying SOOO much less per unit from china that the increase in failure rate didn't matter... they sold the bad ones for scrap metal and offset the losses. Even with the US manufacturer accepting faulty parts being returned it was cheaper to make them in china and scrap 40-50pct of each shipped batch. I juts can't wait till it gets to the point that peoples lives at risk becuase it's Cheaper than building quality safe parts.

I'm 100pct behind people who say... I'm cheap and I buy cheap parts because they're good enough.... or that they can be replaced 4-5 times before you've actually spent more money than you would have on ONE of the name-brand pieces.

But to say that ANY cheap turbo is a quality turbo with the name ground off is like believing that the Amp/reciever you're about to buy has "sony guts"

NO IT DOESN'T but it will work for 50-90pct of the people in the world and it won't ever matter that they bought cheap.

If you're in the 10-50pct that get screwed with an off the shelf bad part or one that fails WAY sooner than expected you will either re-evaluate your stance on cheap parts or you will spend a lot more time working on your car then you do enjoying it.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
I almost NEVER do this... in fact I frown upon it even when it's neccisarry.

Are you f'ing stupid? The only way you've EVER gotten a name brand turbo for cheaper because the name was ground off is if it was stolen.

Turbo manufactureres OBVIOUSLY profit from their business... in fact the Chinese turbo manufacturerers profit from their business... if they didn't they wouldn't do it.

GOOD turbo manufacturers charge more because they use higher quality materials, have more technically sound production methods, pay more qualified people to design and re-design their products and are constantly testing their equipment and generally offer at least a basic warranty against manufactuerer defects.

CHEAP turbo manufacturers use low in some cases VERY low quality materials, produce things in the cheapest way possible, steal other people design without any concern for whether or not they understand it or not or can reproduce it to equal quality, and NEVER test or warranty their products.

Does the fact that it was made in china make it inferior NOT NECCISARILY but VERY VERY likely... there is a reason that their manufacturing costs are so much lower than ours... and it's NOT cheap labor... it's an entire atmosphere of undercutting at ANY cost upto and including producing a product that will NEVER serve it's intended purpose.

A good friend of mine's brother in law is a high-up in Bic (he's actually one of the heirs to the company) and he oversaw the transition of their pen production from USA to China... it took 10 trips to china and 3 failed runs of pens before they found a manufacturer in china that ACUTALLY made even SEMI working pens. This is with Bic shipping ALL of the supplies required to produce the pens to ensure no poor quality materials being used... guess what... the first 2 shops sold the materials bought substandard materials and "produced" pens that didn't F'ing write. Keep in mind this is an evalutory batch that determines whether they get the contract or not... and they are SOOO goddam cheap that they screwed themselves out of the contract.

Another story... Another friend is the manager of a local parts distibuter... when one of their manufacturers switched their production from US to China their new unit failure rate went from 10-15 upto 40-50pct IE... in US 10-15pct of the parts would have a returnable problem... in China that went upto 40-50pct. The way my friend found out was that obviously the parts started getting sent back WAY more often (CV Joints) my friends shop tried to install 3 BRAND NEW axels into a customers car and FINALLY on the 4th axel it fit...

SO as it turns out that the manufacturer literally didn't even bother returning the faulty axels... they were paying SOOO much less per unit from china that the increase in failure rate didn't matter... they sold the bad ones for scrap metal and offset the losses. Even with the US manufacturer accepting faulty parts being returned it was cheaper to make them in china and scrap 40-50pct of each shipped batch. I juts can't wait till it gets to the point that peoples lives at risk becuase it's Cheaper than building quality safe parts.

I'm 100pct behind people who say... I'm cheap and I buy cheap parts because they're good enough.... or that they can be replaced 4-5 times before you've actually spent more money than you would have on ONE of the name-brand pieces.

But to say that ANY cheap turbo is a quality turbo with the name ground off is like believing that the Amp/reciever you're about to buy has "sony guts"

NO IT DOESN'T but it will work for 50-90pct of the people in the world and it won't ever matter that they bought cheap.

If you're in the 10-50pct that get screwed with an off the shelf bad part or one that fails WAY sooner than expected you will either re-evaluate your stance on cheap parts or you will spend a lot more time working on your car then you do enjoying it.
/thread
Old 10-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

NonovUrbizniz. Lets get this out of the way. I DO NOT SUPPORT CHINESE PRODUCTS. Can you

understand what I was trying to say? I was told this and wanted confermation from

someone that knows more than me on the subject matter. When I heard this I was really

curious and wanted to know the truth. I am fully aware of cutting cost

on a cheaper product to make profits. You don't have to be a genius to figure that one

out. And yes, you need to prime the turbo like the other guy stated earlier by holding the

compressor wheels still and let the oil system pressurize. And a major reason that these

"chinese" turbos fail is because of this and that people do not use the proper oil restrictors

and half assed return lines. All I wanted was proof that these turbos come from china.

Not word of mouth from someone that just wants to argue.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Silva Bullit DC4
LOL X2, its brand new, and you worried about it blowing already? ;-)
Actually, yes. lol

I hate taking things out twice after everything is done.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:53 AM
I'm not Rick!

^me 3.
i haaaaate it.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by averyvm
Wow I am so glad this thread has popped up. I am so worried about which turbo to buy. I want to go ebay turbo so bad but Im worried about something going extremely. Im gotta talk to someone with alot of ebay turbo experience.

Which ebay turbo should I buy

I got a stock LS that I want to boost. Im looking for a 50 or 57 (on the compressor wheel)trim with a .63 Ar back hosing with a stage III exhaust wheel

autoworks has a street trubo kit for 2 grand just save up and get that its really nice garret turbo cast iron mani its sick

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gostkit.html
Old 10-02-2009, 08:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LS AzZkIkr
All I wanted was proof that these turbos come from china.

Not word of mouth from someone that just wants to argue.
hmm... reasonable question. I'd like to know as well. who knows? It could be from Taiwan. lol

I know this for sure: Even Chinese(quite a few) ppl in China don't use stuff that are made in China or made by Chinese.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 98civicboy69
autoworks has a street trubo kit for 2 grand just save up and get that its really nice garret turbo cast iron mani its sick

http://www.go-autoworks-store.com/gostkit.html
That manifold has the worst wastegate position I've ever seen.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm not Rick!

NO..this one has the worst!
right in the bumper
Name:  New Imagenew bay.JPG
Views: 362
Size:  161.1 KB
Old 10-02-2009, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
That manifold has the worst wastegate position I've ever seen.
how is that the worst wastegate postion? just curious cuz im about to buy it
Old 10-02-2009, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

from wat ive seen and heard those kits are very reliable and nice!!!! i never seen a problem iwth them
Old 10-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have been walking the dog on alot of these "name brand", "built", setups for forever now with my ebay turbo kit lol. I had to change the bov because of the horrible leak but other than that it seems just like the old school rev hard kits.

Bone stock LS: 450's, 15 psi 325whp self tuned.

Not to say i will run this setup forever but... its alot better than I predicted.

My stock LS against a built LS-V with name brand **** and precision turbo lalala

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR7z3_-aeOs

Not bragging at all since this is my dd street car with ac and ps
Old 10-02-2009, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civicboy69
how is that the worst wastegate postion? just curious cuz im about to buy it
You want your wastegate to be in the middle of the manifold as possible so there will be even distribution of the gases and to avoid boost creep/surging.

That one is only on 1 runner so the other 3 runners are not getting equal love from the wastegate...actually putting the wastegate on one runner is the worst thing you could do.

Id pass on that one for sure..

Quick Reply: Ebay turbo guys