Notices

ebay Ram horn manifolds(personal experience only)

Old 09-12-2009, 03:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay Ram horn manifolds(personal experience only)

ok So I have a built D16 and have a problem called "reversion" where the exhaust gases hit the short runners on my log manifold and bounce back into the combustion chamber while the valves are still open.

blah blah blah My Tuner says I would make ALOT more power if
1. I put a stock camshaft back in it or
2. I get a turbo manifold with longer runners

I have a pfab tubular log manifold that I payed 300 for with a life time warranty this and that and it has cracked probably ten plus times.

Wondering who has PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with any of ebay's turbo manifolds. My theory is I get a ebay Ram horn and make supports for the turbo so it wont crack. I have owned a ebay turbo that lasted 2 years and about 25K miles, had one of there bov's and that went when I turned the boost up to 20psi
Thanks for any help in advanced
Eric
Old 09-12-2009, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: ebay Ram horn manifolds(personal experience only)

if your 300 dollar pfab manifold cracked ten times......how many times do you think the ebay manifold will crack?
Old 09-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by non-VTEC
if your 300 dollar pfab manifold cracked ten times......how many times do you think the ebay manifold will crack?
Good point. I think you've learned your lesson (or at least you should have). Cheap parts equal problems. Get something worthwhile and you wont bother with cracked manifolds or shitty design
Old 09-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol
Old 09-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

theres a couple d ramhorns for sale on d-series.org... like real name brand nice ones. 300-400 used but minty. within the last 5 pages in the for sale section. never go ebay.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the hks style ebay manifold it last for 5000 miles then at the track on 2-step blew the wastegate flange off. my best friend had the ram horn his crack like 7 times at the merge collector before he used it as a paper weight lol
Old 09-12-2009, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get an ebay cast manifold.... the manifold is not what killing your power
it's the stock cat/exhaust
Old 09-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

stock cat and exhaust?!?
Old 09-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly all ebay "ram horn" manifold suck! it doesnt matter how many times u re-weld it or brace it, it will crack! ur best bet is to save a couple $$ and buy atleast a used name brand manifold!!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

1. I dont have a stock cat/exhaust lol
2. yea I am expecting it to crack because of how many times my nice tig welded pfab one cracked, that is from a "REAL" company.

Does any one have any personal experience though? I mean i have come to learn that a turbo manifold is not suppose to support the full weight of the turbo. it needs a brace to support the turbo from the block or what not. even jetta 1.8T have a cast log manifold that is thick as **** but has about 2 supports systems made hold the turbo.

and why would I get another log manifold if that is most certainly what is killing my power?
Old 09-12-2009, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by big-cat
1. I dont have a stock cat/exhaust lol
2. yea I am expecting it to crack because of how many times my nice tig welded pfab one cracked, that is from a "REAL" company.

Does any one have any personal experience though? I mean i have come to learn that a turbo manifold is not suppose to support the full weight of the turbo. it needs a brace to support the turbo from the block or what not. even jetta 1.8T have a cast log manifold that is thick as **** but has about 2 supports systems made hold the turbo.

and why would I get another log manifold if that is most certainly what is killing my power?
just because its a real company, that doesnt make them good fabricators/welders.......

poor prep
poor materials
wrong filler, no purging etc will all make **** crack

Who keeps rewelding it??
Old 09-12-2009, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AJxr
theres a couple d ramhorns for sale on d-series.org... like real name brand nice ones. 300-400 used but minty. within the last 5 pages in the for sale section. never go ebay.
thank you, I will check it out. The reason I am being such a cheap *** is because I am a college student and you know the rest, that and I have some jew blood running in me.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 96 GSR-T
just because its a real company, that doesnt make them good fabricators/welders.......

poor prep
poor materials
wrong filler, no purging etc will all make **** crack

Who keeps rewelding it??
I mean have you had a tubular manifold on your set up that has been drivin daily for 2 years? I kind of expect it to. I havent heard of a tubular manifold that has not cracked if it was drivin daily(more stress on the welds from speed bumps, gravel, plus excessive temperatures).

but I suppose "cheap, reliable, fast" is a good way to look at it. Just wondering if anyone has actually had personal experience them selves.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AJxr
stock cat and exhaust?!?
IF you have a stock cat and exhaust,

if you had a freeflowing exhaust, you wont have backpressure, and your turbo will spool faster
Old 09-12-2009, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean have you had a tubular manifold on your set up that has been drivin daily for 2 years? I kind of expect it to. I havent heard of a tubular manifold that has not cracked if it was drivin daily(more stress on the welds from speed bumps, gravel, plus excessive temperatures).

but I suppose "cheap, reliable, fast" is a good way to look at it. Just wondering if anyone has actually had personal experience them selves.

No but my ramhorn experienced solid mounts in 90+deg heat for 3000 miles for a few months with a heavy *** turbo hanging off it, IMO if it doesnt crack then it wont crack later

Do you have a flex section on your downpipe?

I will ask again..... who keeps rewelding the manifold?

Last edited by 96 GSR-T; 09-12-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wilham320
get an ebay cast manifold.... the manifold is not what killing your power
it's the stock cat/exhaust
x2 on the cast manifold.
Old 09-13-2009, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent heard of a tubular manifold that has not cracked if it was drivin daily(more stress on the welds from speed bumps, gravel, plus excessive temperatures)
I have had my Spoolin A-spec tubular mani for over a year and a half, absolutely no issues yet. And the car is driven every day, and beaten on quite often.

I had an ebay ramhorn, but didnt get any personal experience out of it, because I sold it before I put it on the car. Glad I did however, because my buddy bought it, ran it on his EK and the #4 runner cracked at the flange in a week & the WG flange cracked another three weeks later. He has a Spoolin ramhorn now.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, I guess its name brand, just going to have to wait longer. The Ebay manifolds look legit but I suppose that cleaning the surface and heating up the metal before welding does make a big difference.

I do have a flex section and no it is not clogged. I am telling you, I know what is killing my power and it makes perfect sense. I need a manifold with longer runners so i dont get reversion.

The person that keeps rewelding my manifold is my tuner. His welds are the only ones on the manifold that havent cracked lol. it has cracked in just about 9 different places.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a OBX ram and its ok for what I have in it. If you are looking for something around $300 look first for a used ram from a bigger name fabricator or get a OBX and brace it like you said before. I haven't had a problem with the last couple of manifolds I have used and put on peoples cars with bracing.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:11 PM

no EBAY mani is worth it. unless it is a cast iron one... other than that. check out RCAUTOWORKS.COM... they have good stuff and good prices on bundles
Old 09-13-2009, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Adam_b16a
x2 on the cast manifold.
itd be worth waiting a couple weeks to save some extra dough and find a nice used ramhorn or at least mini ram.

i ran a cast mani for awhile on my b series, then when i went ramhorn... GOOD LORD what a difference. tubular ftw but the cast does work and can get you to ~350-400.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my d16 with the 59300 cam begs to differ. we did like 35 pulls on the dyno tuning it and it peaked at 273 on 24 lbs lol. with b-series you can tune it a little bit easier because you guys have 2 cam shafts.

I mean the dyno reads low but still I built the motor to make 400whp with pump. I think a GOOD FLOWING tubular manifold will make it alot easier. as well as 3in straight exhaust with just a muffler.
Old 09-13-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I am telling you, I know what is killing my power and it makes perfect sense. I need a manifold with longer runners so i dont get reversion.
"Proof or it didn't happen." How come others can crack 500+ with cast/log manifolds then? Hondas dont' play by the usual turbo "rules". Many factory cars have crappy heads, small turbos, and poor exhausts. All that chokes the flow, and is labeled reversion. I don't think I've ever seen a conventional turbo cam (high lift, low overlap) that worked on a Honda better than an NA cam. I think it was Bugermas that tuned a B18B with huge NA cams and turbo, and made 500+ with it.

If you ask many tuners who deal with DOHC b-series motors, cam adjustment barely makes any difference, unless the cam was designed wrong or one/both cams were not machined correctly.
If you truely made it to make 400whp, what turbo & fuel did you use? Even your fabled B18's with longer-runner ramhorns are stuck just over 400whp with a 57trim turbo when using regular 93 octane pump gas.

As for the original question, my personal experience is that ebay turbo manifolds suck for Hondas. My friend bought a car with one, 500 miles later the WG tube cracked off, ruining his Tial, as well as putting a hole in the oil pan (WG wedged between pan and road). Got another, sold the car, and the new manifold cracked for the new owner.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn hes lucky, my ebay manifold lasted 400 miles, and my friends only 250 miles. bumpy roads around here! plus we ran man sized turbos!! lol
Old 09-13-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for your viewing pleasure. picture speaks for itself. i welded it 3 times. The last time it just broke 2 inches down from my weld. spend some money and get a good mani!
Attached Images   

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ebay Ram horn manifolds(personal experience only)