Notices

Eaton M62 Custom Supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eaton M62 Custom Supercharger

So basically here's what I'm doing. I'm going to get a M62 (large displacement) supercharger that is designated for 2.2-3.8 engines. With the Ve (volumetric efficiency) of honda engines this should be a good match for my 9000rpm g-sr. The m62 is what is designated by Jackson Racing for the RSX Ktwen. It will be mounted custom style on the front of the engine; custom made brackets coming from the forward engine mount points and a/c threaded holes. The output of the supercharger will be routed into an rx-7 intercooler that will reside next to the standard civic sized two row P.W.R. radiator that I have. Advantages to this plan are that I have no problems creating brackets to align a supercharger with the crank pulley, getting the supercharger away from the heat soak of the head, and the intercooler setup. I know a twin screw supercharger is going to take away 15-20hp top end compared to a turbo. Superchargers sound like a death wave of machinery comin your way so that's why I have migrated towards it. You can only make so much power before you lose all traction with fwd. So I might as well do it with style and shoot for 11-14psi with a 300-350whp goal. Any advice from the gurus is much appreciated.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eaton M62 Custom Supercharger

1. your custom setup is far from a new concept (refer t the following thread)
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...997913&page=21

2. jackson racing also has a kit for a gsr which also includes the M62 charger

3. this thread is your best friend, read it, read it again, good luck
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showth...14810&page=298

4. 300-350HP from and M62 is possible but not without alot of modification to keep temps down as the blower will be spining far passed its efficiency.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll give you the short course, please do some reading for the long course. Start with something simple like "Maximum Boost" and work your way up from there.

You have a 9000 RPM GSR and you want up to 14 PSI ,so that's roughly 948 cubic meters/hour of air. To get the math on that, please read this old Turbo Saturns article; it explains it well:

http://s115271005.onlinehome.us/TurboSaturns/

I'm assuming 100% VE, which makes the math easier and is close enough for our purposes. So based on 948 at 9K, we can do a little division and come up with the following values:

9000: 948
8000: 844
6000: 632
4000: 422
3000: 316
2000: 211

Now we just have to plot those values across an Eaton M62 compressor map at a pressure ratio of 1.95 (for 14 PSI, math is in the aforementioned Turbo Saturns article). You can get the M62 map here:

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/publ.../ct_128484.gif

Note that this is a map for a 5th gen M62, where the CCW version that you would be looking for is a less efficient 3rd gen, but like the VE, it's close enough for our purposes. Here's what that would look like, bearing in mind that your numbers on a 3rd gen would be worse:

I just put an arrow to the right for the top number because it's so far off the map that I couldn't plot it. Looking at moving that volume of air through a 3rd gen M62, you'd need to spin it very fast. I do have that map for a 3rd gen though, and although again it is off the chart, I think that inperpolating for the 558 CFM of inlet flow that you would need puts you at 17000-18000 RPM, at which speed your blower won't work well based on it's port configuration:

There is other stuff, like the temperature delta, which although I can't find my chart for it, should be in the 200+ range for your application, and efficiency, which should be in the sub-50% range.

There are some blowers, like the modified M90 that I'm using or one of the new TVS R900 blowers, that would work for your application, but I think that you may be disappointed with an M62. Check out the compressor maps at Eaton Performance for some blowers that would be suited for your application.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just wish I had a turbo that worked below 61% like that, I'd be the envy of every man and child.

Check out the thread from the guy above, its amazing. You don't loose out on anything when you oversize a SC, unlike a turbo in some respects.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, thanks for the good info. What do you guys think about mounting it on the front of the engine by way of brackets coming off the engine mount and a/c threaded holes? Has anyone done this? I just figured mounting it there would make it possible to do an intercooler setup. And with an intercooler I would definitely want a larger supercharger.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright I'm on board with the "500hp supercharger thread". That project is bad ***! I've got the Corky Bell Superchargers book and it had me coming up with some ideas for integrating an intercooler. I'm glad to see that it's in the works!
Old 02-14-2009, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen a modded JRSC in which the blower outlet was boxed off from the manifold's plenum, then was supposed to go to a front mount IC & back to the TB. IIRC it was never finished, probably because they couldn't fit in the piping, or because they didn't understand how to route the bypass. The problem of heatsoak remains, since the best FMIC would can't eliminate the heat that ends up going back in via the blower heating the manifold.

Bolting it to the front of the motor as done by Roger is a great idea. An M62 from a ford or GM would have to be reversed, as Roger explains in his thread, but would get to 300hp far easier w/o much heatsoak issues. You just have less than perfect header clearance.