Notices

Eagle vs Crower billet rods..why is Crower 2x price..are crower really that much better for boost.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle vs Crower billet rods..why is Crower 2x price..are crower really that much better for boost.

so im gonna be getting rods soon but i have a few questions..1st ive seen peolpe make alot of power on eagle rods im a gsr by the way.i plan to run 15-20 psi have got alor of fedback that eagle rods suck for boost...i understand theat the crower rods are a 1 piece billet and should be stronger but they are 2x the price ack!!.are they 2x as strong is my question . i want to know what the reals differences are that make crower the better for for boost...
Old 09-25-2005, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Eagle vs Crower billet rods..why is Crower 2x price..are crower really that much better for boos

bump cmon someone has to have some exp with them
Old 09-25-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Eagle vs Crower billet rods..why is Crower 2x price..are crower really that much better for boos

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraGSR(-1) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so im gonna be getting rods soon but i have a few questions..1st ive seen peolpe make alot of power on eagle rods im a gsr by the way.i plan to run 15-20 psi have got alor of fedback that eagle rods suck for boost...i understand theat the crower rods are a 1 piece billet and should be stronger but they are 2x the price ack!!.are they 2x as strong is my question . i want to know what the reals differences are that make crower the better for for boost...</TD></TR></TABLE>

with the eagles i dont think its so much the rods sucking its the arp hardware being too small for monster power levels...

the bolts are not big enough to have the tensile strength required to handle high hp over long periods of time
Old 09-25-2005, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

before anyone can give you a decent answer you need to select a rod depending on how much power you plan to make.

so.......how much power do you think you want to make?

Old 09-25-2005, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Rods are rated by rpm. if you are keeping the stock redline I am sure eagles will handle as much power as you can use.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Crower will tell you they only rate their rods to 600 hp. just look for the pics. of flamenco-t's crower when it let go . (all 3 peices of it)
https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=2

scroll half way down for pics

Old 09-25-2005, 08:17 AM

so no one really has succes with revving higher than stock with the eagles?
Old 09-25-2005, 08:20 AM

i should easliy make 400+ when its done..but im not shooting for anything over 450 .i dont intend to push it past that..or 20psi which ever comes first and i plan on pretty much keeping the redline around 8000-8200 norm gsr redline..im smart about parts in general so im wodering if this is going to be one of those you get what you pay for things or is crower rods just overpriced and eagle is fine cause its a big price difference, if i were a little closer then i might not worry.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so what do people think are the hp limit to eagles?

i have a set of eagles that are 3 yrs old, the first set to come with ARP hardware, i made 480whp and rev to 9500. that was at 19psi. so i'm pretty sure they aren't all junk.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what do people think are the hp limit to eagles?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are going to get a lot of "estimated" guesses.
Old 09-25-2005, 08:39 AM

i was thinking about calling eagle up and being like "ok why are you rods 1/2 the price of the crower rods and" and see what they say
Old 09-25-2005, 09:09 AM

i dont mind spending the money for them, but i just wanna know why i am, i wanna know why they are so much stronger than eagles if they even are
Old 09-25-2005, 09:44 AM
95GSRTT

If you are even thinking about getting crowers you are better off just spending a tad more and getting pauter or manley rods.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: (Makdaddynuge)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Makdaddynuge &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so no one really has succes with revving higher than stock with the eagles?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I turn my GSR with eagles to 9K.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraGSR(-1) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i was thinking about calling eagle up and being like "ok why are you rods 1/2 the price of the crower rods and" and see what they say</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eagle's rods are cheaper than Crower Billets because Eagle rods are forged, and eagle rods are made in china. Forged rods start off as a piece of solid metal that is forged into place and finish machined. Billet rods are cut to their shape from a solid chunk of steel/Al/Ti/etc. Crower rods are made in the US as well, which drives up their price.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:04 AM

Default Re: (turboEGhatch)

well isure people have destroyed both eagle and crower rods and i understand the 1 piece design , so my question is does that ultimately make it a stronger rod?
Old 09-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IntegraGSR(-1))

If your goals are only 450whp, i would just recommend the eagle rods. should be fine if you assemble the motor correctly. Paul
Old 09-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (IntegraGSR(-1))

for that type of power and RPM you plan to rev to i would suggest eagle rods.

Old 09-25-2005, 10:48 AM

yah 450 is my goal really..i guess i read the rod BOLTS are the weak point..but most of them now come with the upgraded arp 2000 bolts,
Old 09-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've only heard that eagle is only good up to 550hp
Old 09-25-2005, 11:29 AM

hp numbers mean nothing, no one can be that excact...im looking for more info on how they are made and why they are so strong . i have already got quite a bit of info..rod bolts seem to be the kicker on eagle
Old 09-25-2005, 12:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IntegraGSR(-1) &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hp numbers mean nothing, no one can be that excact...im looking for more info on how they are made and why they are so strong . i have already got quite a bit of info..rod bolts seem to be the kicker on eagle</TD></TR></TABLE>

The rod bolts used to be a problem when they shipped them with smaller bolts. They ship them with 3/8" ARP2000 bolts, which are the exact same ones used in Manleys and they have been proven good for 700+ WHP. I don't think Eagle has sold any Honda rods with the smaller bolts for 2, maybe 2 and a half years.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Day-DayC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've only heard that eagle is only good up to 550hp </TD></TR></TABLE>

595 WHP, Eagle Rods

580 WHP, Eagle Rods

565 WHP, Eagle Rods

605 WHP, Eagle Rods

IIRC Jojo's old castol integra was running eagle rods and it made a lot of power.
Old 09-25-2005, 12:04 PM

rods are rods to me it all depends on who built the motor
Old 09-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I beat the **** out of my eagles and never had an issue. I'm sure with the new bigger rod bolts they are even better. Can't say that much for the Crowers I had
Old 09-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Jared)

Any rod made in America will be priced in excess of $600. Any rod made in Taiwan will be way under $400. It all depends on if you feel lucky.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:39 PM
On Fire!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (earl)

I think eagles can be made to last a while and take some good abuse if you have a good machine shop check the machining of the big and small bore to make sure its perfectly round and the specs are checked on all, also the bolts torqued properly with a stretch gauge will make a lot of difference.
But than again I would rather spend 200-300 more to have a rod thats gona last and not something thats gona put a hole in the side of your block and your out of 2k.

I have ran eagle and beat the **** out of eagle at 9500rpm so I can't really talk too much **** about them.

Quick Reply: Eagle vs Crower billet rods..why is Crower 2x price..are crower really that much better for boost.