Notices

Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank?

I dropped my eagle rods and everything off at the machine shop and i just got a call and they were asking me if i knew which way the rods went, they mostly workwith v8's and i guess there books dont have anything on them and the rods didnt come with any literature on which way to place them in the block.

The engine is a d16a6, does it matter which way the rods sit in the block? They have oil feed holes on both sides of them in the same place. Help is apreciated thanks.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank? (ITSTOCK)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=764265 - asked this a while ago. Hope this helps.
Old 03-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

clue: notches go up front
Old 03-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take a look at ur stock pistons and rods
u can see that the notches go to the front of engine lik esomeon else said
when i built my motor i sat them in the same way the stock rods looked...
to answer ur questions.... yessssss

also the eagle dont have the oil squirt hole for the oil under the pistons...
so dont worry about that part
Old 03-29-2004, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank? (USDM 4G VTEC)

i sold the stock pistons/rods so i couldnt check.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:25 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank? (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

also the eagle dont have the oil squirt hole for the oil under the pistons...
so dont worry about that part</TD></TR></TABLE>
What do you mean man? I just got my Eagles and they have a lil hole on both sides at the top..close to where the rod meets the piston..I was tols that was for oil lubrication...

Or am i talking about somethng different?

OK related to Itstock question... The piston should have an arrow at the top and the Eagles have numbers printed on one side/face of the rods..so..DO i have to put that #printed facing the same side the arrow points?Same as the stock rods where it has a "6" engraved at one side side of the rod and that "6" is on the same side the arrow on the piston is.
Old 03-31-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank? (fjt)

the holes on the top do lubricate the pin

but the stock ones have one hole on bottom of rod wich squirts oil into the bottom of pistons... eagle dont have those..
anyhow...
look the surfaces inside rods, the side that has the lil notches in where the bearings sits looks towards the front of the car once they are installed
Old 03-31-2004, 10:00 AM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the side that has the lil notches in where the bearings sits looks towards the front of the car once they are installed</TD></TR></TABLE>
100% possitive on that? Thats the trick?
Old 03-31-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fjt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
100% possitive on that? Thats the trick?</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the stock ones did
and if they had a reason why Honda did it that way i rather also do it
Old 03-31-2004, 05:11 PM
fjt
Honda-Tech Member

well i was told by a very reliable source that it doesnt matter cause Eagle rods are symetrically constructed and balanced from factory... ill be looking about what you said and go that way to be safer.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">but the stock ones have one hole on bottom of rod wich squirts oil into the bottom of pistons... eagle dont have those..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

cast pistons need more cooling than forged!!!!!
Old 03-31-2004, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know that to have true "balance" you need to have your pistons and rods assembled, THEN balanced.
Old 03-31-2004, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The bearing tang notches on the rods always go toward the exhaust. You may be using the wrong machine shop to do your block if they had to ask you that question. You need someone with Honda experience. Also tell them that the smaller valve pockets also face the front (exhaust). I hope you did not give them roller waves as they will really be confused
Old 04-01-2004, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank? (earl)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The bearing tang notches on the rods always go toward the exhaust. You may be using the wrong machine shop to do your block if they had to ask you that question. You need someone with Honda experience. Also tell them that the smaller valve pockets also face the front (exhaust). I hope you did not give them roller waves as they will really be confused </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good luck finding a shop in Maine that builds honda engines,just a bunch of redneck v8 guys up here so i had no choice, im confident that they pulled through.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:25 AM

There are a few man, you have to ask around...!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank? (civic-4-ges)

like who? I am curious if you are talking about shops with real experiance or ones that are just trying to cash in on the import industry growth. The shop ITSTOCK went to is cool because if they don't know they ask rather than take risks with your expensive parts. They do chrysler 2.2 turbo motors too so turbo I4s don't confuse them too bad. I have had several conversations with the guy that runs it and he seems very knowlagable to me. guess we'll find out soon...
Old 04-02-2004, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank? (Bailhatch)

There is a shop in Hallowell that have done a few successful high-power bottom end rebuild, and have done some really good head work.

There is also a guy in winthrop who has been working with the smaller engines for a long time, and has been highly recommended for doing work on Honda motors.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: Eagle rods, does it matter which way they sit on crank? (civic-4-ges)

And theres also hot shot performance in westbrook that has built engines, but have you ever priced these places? for what i had done to my block at cotes it would have costed me $1000+++ alone of labor at hot shot, yet i only paid $333 at cotes including all bearings. Cotes also builds 4cyl engines for oxford local track and seems very knowledgable.