Notices

Eagle lightweight crank and rod combo for turbo build...Looking for insight

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eagle lightweight crank and rod combo for turbo build...Looking for insight

Have been thinking about buying the Eagle leightweight crank and rod combo for my turbo ls-v build. I was orig. going to use the LS crank I have but I am unsure of the mileage on it plus I would hate to get it to the machine shop and then have to turn around and have to order different size rod bearings for it other than the standard ACLs I already have. The Eagle crank and rod combo seems like the way I am going to go b/c the rods alone are 300-350 and the crank alone sells in the 7xx price range. Together, I can get both of them for about $625 sent to my door. I am looking for some insight on whether or not you guys think it would be worth the money to run the crank over a stock, machined LS crank? Also, are these cranks knife edged and already fully balanced from Eagle? If I were to purchase this set up and some pistons, could I skip the balancing at the machine shop and run it how it is? TIA!
Old 05-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eagle lightweight crank and rod combo for turbo build...Looking for insight (Trock1029)

lightweight NA parts should not be mixed w/ boost, stock crank is much stronger.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:08 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Eagle lightweight crank and rod combo for turbo build...Looking for insight (96 GSR-T)

if your stock ls crank is messed up beyond repair you can pick up another used one for $100. stock cranks are already forged and very strong.
Old 05-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Eagle lightweight crank and rod combo for turbo build...Looking for insight (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lightweight NA parts should not be mixed w/ boost, stock crank is much stronger.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can understand your view of not mixing NA parts for boost but why do you consider the crank a "NA" part? I see it as lightening up the rotating assembly giving the ability to rev faster and produce more power. To me it would be the same difference as using a lightweight flywheel or a ctr n1 crank pulley. Also, with the crank already being balanced and micropolished from Eagle it would save some time and money at the machine shop.

Also, why do you think a stock crank would be stronger?

Dont get me wrong here bud, I totally respect your input and insight to my question. I am not arguing b/c I am set on running this no matter what so I am going to argue every point made by someone. Things just stated, I feel, are pretty valid questions and just my .02.

Anyone else?
Old 05-05-2007, 03:56 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: Eagle lightweight crank and rod combo for turbo build...Looking for insight (Trock1029)

why the f... did you start this thread if you have already made up your mind? 50 people can come in here and tell you how bad they suck but you stated you already have your mind set so it doesn't matter, correct? whats the point of this thread then? Are you hoping people come in here and praise your setup to help you sleep better at night? ******* moron.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wow.... waste of a thread...

anyways...

OEM CRANKS have been proven to make crazy power, never skipping a beat...

IF it aint broke, dont fix it
save the money from the crank and buy some better rods then eagle..
Old 05-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Topdawgg)

there are plenty of people making tons and tons of power on the lightweight crank

and its a 180deg engine, there is no balancing it anyway, sooooo yea
Old 05-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why the f... did you start this thread if you have already made up your mind? 50 people can come in here and tell you how bad they suck but you stated you already have your mind set so it doesn't matter, correct? whats the point of this thread then? Are you hoping people come in here and praise your setup to help you sleep better at night? ******* moron. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What the hell you *** hat? I was saying that I wasnt arguing with someone b/c I had already made up my mind. I am NOT set on running this crank is what I was saying and I didnt want people to think that I was giving my replies and thoughts in response b/c I had already decided on the crank no matter what. That is not the case. Maybe I was unclear in how I stated my previous post but I believe you got a little out of hand with yours. This is why HT has become what it is today is b/c of people like you. Always negative and never willing to help. Heres to the douche missiles like you!
Old 05-06-2007, 11:46 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Trock1029)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Trock1029 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What the hell you *** hat? I was saying that I wasnt arguing with someone b/c I had already made up my mind. I am NOT set on running this crank is what I was saying and I didnt want people to think that I was giving my replies and thoughts in response b/c I had already decided on the crank no matter what. That is not the case. Maybe I was unclear in how I stated my previous post but I believe you got a little out of hand with yours. This is why HT has become what it is today is b/c of people like you. Always negative and never willing to help. Heres to the douche missiles like you!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Read your above post really carefully.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:47 AM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (SD_Lurker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Trock1029 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dont get me wrong here bud, I totally respect your input and insight to my question. I am not arguing b/c I am set on running this no matter what so I am going to argue every point made by someone. Things just stated, I feel, are pretty valid questions and just my .02.

Anyone else?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SD_Lurker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SD_Lurker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Read your above post really carefully. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have read it bud. Time and time again. Did you not hear the part in my previous post that said I see that I was unclear but here is what I was trying to say? Come on man must you always be such an *** to everyone? If you are like this this early in the day, you have a long way to go until its over.

I AM NOT SET ON RUNNING THIS CRANK. I SIMPLY DIDNT WANT PEOPLE THINKING THAT B/C I HAD THOUGHTS AND OPINIONS TO THEIR REMARKS THAT I WAS SET ON THIS ALREADY NO MATTER WHAT. I AM GIVING MY THOUGHT AND OPINIONS IN RESPONSE FOR DISCUSSION REASONS. THATS ALL. IF I HAVE A REPLY TO YOUR POST I AM NOT ARGUING B/C I HAVE ALREADY DECIDED ON THIS CRANK AND MADE THIS THREAD FOR ***** AND GIGGLES.

Clear now? Thanks ***!
Old 05-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Man U FTW

come on children, stop fighting...

to the OP: it did sound like you had made up your mind to use the crank regardless of what we said. People tend to do that kind of stuff often here and it is very annoying. Dont ask for opinions if you aren't willing to listen to what people say

SD Lurker I understand your frustration and your rationale against using the crank, but i think you were a little quick to judge his decision on the matter. Next time dont fly off the handle in your first post of the thread.

I'm interested to hear some FACTS about this crank...especially if someone has personal experience with it. I think that the lightweight crank is a good idea in theory, but i dont know how it would handle the strains of being on a high horsepower boosted car. At the same time, it is made by Eagle and i really doubt they would release a product like this if it couldn't handle the rigors of a high hp engine.

What is the crank intended for? Is it for NA or Boosted applications?? Lets have some discussion on the topic...
Old 05-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">come on children, stop fighting...

to the OP: it did sound like you had made up your mind to use the crank regardless of what we said. People tend to do that kind of stuff often here and it is very annoying. Dont ask for opinions if you aren't willing to listen to what people say

SD Lurker I understand your frustration and your rationale against using the crank, but i think you were a little quick to judge his decision on the matter. Next time dont fly off the handle in your first post of the thread.

I'm interested to hear some FACTS about this crank...especially if someone has personal experience with it. I think that the lightweight crank is a good idea in theory, but i dont know how it would handle the strains of being on a high horsepower boosted car. At the same time, it is made by Eagle and i really doubt they would release a product like this if it couldn't handle the rigors of a high hp engine.

What is the crank intended for? Is it for NA or Boosted applications?? Lets have some discussion on the topic... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thank Heavens you came in! Yes I understand that I was unclear when I said what I said. I also admitted to that. I am VERY willing and open to opinions and willing to hear them out. When I gave my reply to 96 GSR-T about it being NA parts I was just trying to have a discussion about the crank. I was not trying to reply b.c I had already made up my mind about using it....that IS NOT THE CASE!

I feel that for the price, and by whom it is made, it would be a very good product. $625 for H-beam rods and the crank? I see that as a steal as I said in my opening post b/c the rods alone are between the $300-350 mark and the crank sells for $865.33 straight from Eagles site. I was quoted $500 just to have the bottom end balanced, crank journals micropolished, and crank knife edged. From my understanding, the Eagle crank already comes pre-balanced, micropolished, and from the looks of it, semi-knife edged. If this crank is worth the money, $625 would buy my rods and have my bottom end balanced and micro polished opposed to $300 for rods and another $500 (if not more) at the machine shop.

Anyone in here have personal experience with this crank in a FI application? I would def like to hear how you feel about it! Thanks again and sorry for the e-thuggin
Old 05-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Man U FTW

Doesn't Eagle sell a standard or stroker crank?

If they do, that would be my first choice. I think i remember them selling a 94mm (or something like that) crank for B series engines...i would look into that. Just make sure you're getting something that can handle the stress of a high hp setup. Talk to Eagle or their distributors because they should be able to tell you more about it and its limits...
Old 05-06-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i hope ur good at rebuilding engines, bc thats what ur gonna be doing after runnig this.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't Eagle sell a standard or stroker crank?

If they do, that would be my first choice. I think i remember them selling a 94mm (or something like that) crank for B series engines...i would look into that. Just make sure you're getting something that can handle the stress of a high hp setup. Talk to Eagle or their distributors because they should be able to tell you more about it and its limits...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, Eagle sells a standard, lightweight, and stroker crank. I will shoot them an email I guess. Everyone seems to think the lightweight crank is junk...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i hope ur good at rebuilding engines, bc thats what ur gonna be doing after runnig this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

What would be your reason behind this comment? Any personal experience?
Old 05-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the eagle light crank is a nice piece, very good finish machine work. much better than the standard eagle crank.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the eagle light crank is a nice piece, very good finish machine work. much better than the standard eagle crank.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, interesting to hear!

Still waiting around for someone to give some insight on whether or not it would be worth the money to run it in a FI setup.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Man U FTW

i think a lot of people are associating light weight with weaker materials...which may or may not be true
Old 05-07-2007, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Doesn't Eagle sell a standard or stroker crank?

If they do, that would be my first choice. I think i remember them selling a 94mm (or something like that) crank for B series engines...i would look into that. Just make sure you're getting something that can handle the stress of a high hp setup. Talk to Eagle or their distributors because they should be able to tell you more about it and its limits...</TD></TR></TABLE>

with a 95mm crank there will be a good amount of side loading on the pistons, not what I call a good choice.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 AM
Man U FTW

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96 GSR-T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

with a 95mm crank there will be a good amount of side loading on the pistons, not what I call a good choice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I thought people had good results with that crank...i guess i dont have an real experience with it...stock GSR bottom end FTW
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, you were talking about running a stroker crank in a oem stroke bottom end? Humm...never heard of this
Old 05-08-2007, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh, you were talking about running a stroker crank in a oem stroke bottom end? Humm...never heard of this
Old 05-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Trock1029 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, interesting to hear!

Still waiting around for someone to give some insight on whether or not it would be worth the money to run it in a FI setup.</TD></TR></TABLE>

less rotational mass is always a good thing, FI or NA
Old 05-08-2007, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know there is some personal experience out there...

Quick Reply: Eagle lightweight crank and rod combo for turbo build...Looking for insight