Notices

E85 compatible -AN hose that works with regular fittings?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 compatible -AN hose that works with regular fittings?

So I messed up, and bought a bunch of -AN fittings for my upcoming fuel setup. I'm going to be running E85 and didn't think about the hose itself. Are there any E85 compatible hoses that will use regular Earl's -AN fittings? Most PTFE or teflon hoses I see use proprietary fttings.
Old 09-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: E85 compatible -AN hose that works with regular fittings?

I think most of the quality an hose you can run what you like through it.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aeroquip brand hose is rated for alcohol, gas, etc...
Old 09-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can search by fluid type "E85" when searching for hose on Summit. Almost all hoses are rated for E85 now.
Old 09-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The Earl's brand hoses are not rated for E85 unless you get the PTFE lines with the special fittings. The Summit branded hoses, according to the website, are rated for E85. I just didn't really trust the Summit generic hose over the Earl's.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Earls ano-tough fittings and a couple Jegs black anodized fittings and all Earls line with Ignite E85. No issues here.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, but for how long?
Old 09-14-2013, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tippyman
Yeah, but for how long?
Since April
Old 09-21-2013, 04:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm taking back my comment. lol

Earls line popped on my yesterday. We believe it's the rubber part breaking down. I'm gonna use different hose from now on.

Never got pressure over 100psi.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having a fuel issues as well with e85. The suction side hose going into the pump is collapsing causing the pump to starve. I'm running an inline 044 with -8 steel braided hose, fuel pressure at 55psi base. I replaced these fuel lines last year and I'm already having issues. I'm going to try the Aeroquip push-lok hose

Btw the fuel pump is brand new. Before Thursday I was using twin 255 inline pumps. Installed the 044 yesterday and last night on the dyno we were experiencing the same fuel pressure drop. Starts at 55psi then drops to about 15 psi even before boost is built.
Old 09-21-2013, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimbo slice
I'm having a fuel issues as well with e85. The suction side hose going into the pump is collapsing causing the pump to starve. I'm running an inline 044 with -8 steel braided hose, fuel pressure at 55psi base. I replaced these fuel lines last year and I'm already having issues. I'm going to try the Aeroquip push-lok hose

Btw the fuel pump is brand new. Before Thursday I was using twin 255 inline pumps. Installed the 044 yesterday and last night on the dyno we were experiencing the same fuel pressure drop. Starts at 55psi then drops to about 15 psi even before boost is built.
Been using Aeroquip pushlok hose on mine with e98.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what I got from them today....

Will not work on Ethanol ever.......
neither will

performo flex
Auto Flex or pro lite ultra

use Speed Flex PTFE hose or Ultra Flex PTFE hose,

On 9/21/2013 5:53 AM, website@web3.anplumbing.com wrote:
Name: Chris Email: tepid1@sbcglobal.net Phone:

Is the Earls Pro Lite 350 rated for ethanol use?

I had a -10an hose split on me in two different sections last night on the dyno. There were no clamps, chaffing or other issues that contributed to the failure. Fuel pressure is logged and never got above 100psi. Thanks
Old 09-21-2013, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good to know. A year late for me, but at least I know where to make progress.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well that sucks, because all PTFE hoses use a different type of fitting than I just bought a BUNCH of.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As stated previously, Summit does allow you to search by fluid type, and the Summit branded AN hose says it's compatible with E85. I think it's a little fishy that the off-branded hose is ok with E85, but not the Earl's.

Maybe I'll be the guinea pig and try out the Summit branded hose since I already have the fittings. The site does say this about their hose:

"This SAE 30R7 rated Summit® braided nylon hose is designed for use with gas, oil, diesel, and other fluid applications. It uses a higher grade nitrile inner core that is specifically compounded to hold a higher fuel resistance than any other nylon hose product on the market"
Old 09-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh wait, look at the description of their "premium hose"!

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...20bp/overview/

"Summit Racing® premium braided nylon hose will handle today's fuels and pressures--plus keep you on budget! Our race hose is certified for use with E-85, as well as additives currently found in diesel, ethanol, and alcohol based-fuels. And, these 30R9 tested and approved hose features burst pressure to 500 psi with minimal permeation. The hose is built with 4-ply lightweight--lighter than stainless braided hose--construction with an FKM fluoroelastomer lining and is reinforced with a braid of stainless steel. The design and materials work to eliminate fuel permeation under extreme and extended conditions that lead to sour gas odors and dry, cracked hose. Summit Racing® premium braided bylon hose offers superior compatibility with fuels, as well as strength and value for you and your race car."

Might give that stuff a whirl!
Old 09-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

30R9 is the test that determines E85 and alcohol safety. That's what to look for.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tepid1
30R9 is the test that determines E85 and alcohol safety. That's what to look for.
Ordered it up, guess I'll let ya know if it works with Earl's Swivel-Seal hose ends.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They should. I ordered the Jegs version to replace my busted hose. All earls and Jegs fittings look great so far.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:09 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I had planned on running aluminum hardline under (or in the car) for my fuel supply (only 93 for now until e85 becomes more common around here) and have it all no color hardcoat anodized to protect it from e85, leaded and oxygenated race fuel and potentially a methanol blend I'd like to try.

It's hard to find a rubber that will handle long term exposure to things like e85 and todays race fuels. Some of the lines have teflon inners as opposed to rubber and if I iirc they are e85/methanol/ethanol/nitromethane/all race fuel compatible. I have a large 20an line that has a kevlar outer (as opposed to ss or braided nylon outers) and it has a teflon inner iirc. Was going to use it for my catch can setup along with my nascar surplus dry carbon dual filter catch can and a 4x12an to 1x20an fitting dry sump scavenging manifold

I was going to run 2 10 off the block and 2 off the head to the ds manifold then a single, large line to the cc. So far I'm finding most of my random collection of an lines don't have rubber inners and I'm honestly not sure what the material is but they came from race teams running everything from pump 93, to e85, 98, 100, to methanol, nitrometh, leaded and oxygenated race fuels and none of them show any signs of damage or liner degradation
Old 09-23-2013, 12:13 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I'm wondering what the oem companies that build flex fuel vehicles do for a rubber fuel line. I know most of GMs fuel systems use metal (coated steel) hard pipes in some spots, mostly around the oem quick disconnect fittings (externally and internally they are all plastic except for the o ring and return spring and I don't know how they survive prolonged e85 exposure) and then rubber everywhere else basically. I've never really heard of GM having any fuel line issues on production vehicles that run e85
Old 09-23-2013, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Be careful with the AL lines. Most are not rated for much pressure and are of the softer nature.

I'm hearing a lot of "I'm gonna" and "I planned".... let's get your *** going and see this project you've been planning for ages!
Old 09-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Yea I know. Right now juggling things with the house fire repairs occupies all of my time. Plus the civic isn't at the rental house (where my toolbox and air compressor are) so it's hard to do work until we move in a little less than a month. So I'm packing up my **** now

Plus I'm still doing work in the engine bay and all of my harnesses and I'm trying to get all the parts I need together so I can toss a mockup motor in it while the bay is stripped and mockup all of the piping, lines, finalize the engine harness and such so I can actually make progress a start a build thread worth reading.BeBecause at this point it'd be very few pictures and even slower progress lol

And I can't work because I'm taking care of mom due to her breaking her back, ankle and foot. So money is definitely holding me back. Anytime I can sell a few parts a few more get ordered but I have a sweet job lined up once we grt moved back into our house. Then the build thread will be slammed
Old 09-25-2013, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: Went ahead and installed the -8 Aeroquip push-lok hose. Fuel pressure holding at 60psi. No more collapsing braided hose and a loss of 45psi!! Will report with dyno numbers soon.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been using jegs fittings and either jegs or basic earls hose since 2010 with no problems on e85.

Quick Reply: E85 compatible -AN hose that works with regular fittings?