Notices

Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2004, 09:36 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy.

We came upon a interesting conversation

First he was telling me how 14.7 ratio was best.. then i tried explaning its only good in vacuum, then i went along showing various dynos to prove my point.. Then while showing him dynos he said this

(buddy): im not big fan of dyno
streetricer: lol
streetricer: why not?
(buddy): u could use nitrous etc.
streetricer: that sounds silly
streetricer: dude, dyno is not for showing off
streetricer: its for tuning
streetricer: lol
(buddy): ha. im sure no one goes to show off their # . (sarcasm)
streetricer: omg
streetricer: ur crazy (hisname)
streetricer: number 1 reason to go
streetricer: is to find out how much power u can make
streetricer: and to fine tune ur tuning
streetricer: and extract the most hp
streetricer: lol hammy haha
(buddy): your saying that everyone that dynos has AFC?
streetricer: NO, but most who do have fuel management
(buddy): point proven.
streetricer: omg (hisname)
(buddy): not everyone goes to tune their cars.
streetricer: i totally think ur wrong
streetricer: yeah not everyone, but only a jack *** comes to show off
streetricer: its just a dyno lol
streetricer: u come for ur own benefit
(buddy): I wouldn't mind going to a dyno and showing off my dyno #. wouldnt u?
streetricer: yeah thats 1 part of it
streetricer: u mean to tell me ur gonna go forever just butt tuning ur car?
streetricer: wideband works
(buddy): lets just say tuning is a benefit.
streetricer: but with the dyno, u know what works and what doesnt
(buddy): U can always tune a car without a dyno
(buddy): well
streetricer: tuning is not a benefit, its almost essential, without tuning u can blow ur motor
(buddy): not a honda
streetricer: yeah u can
(buddy): why does a dyno do? all it does is put stress on motor while hooking up WB.
(buddy): what*
streetricer: yeah and monitors power output
streetricer: a dyno is the same thing as driving on the street
streetricer: u mean to say driving fast on the street is a waste of money?
streetricer: its like driving ont he street and monitoring ur car
(buddy): yes. but using the power output can let u know how to tune your car for most HP correct?
streetricer: if ur woried about ur engine overheating, good dynos, most all dynos have huge *** fans to cool ur motor
streetricer: yes
streetricer: some say the best way to go is dyno
streetricer: see its like tuning ur car then testing it without ur car moving

So he basically thinks its BS because people go there to cheat themselves on real hp? I was trying to explain why most guys go there.. what do u guys think

Modified by VNTEC at 9:12 PM 2/22/2004
Old 02-21-2004, 10:32 PM

Default Re: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy. (VNTEC)

i dyno my car to be cool man, what else would people do it for?
Old 02-21-2004, 10:33 PM

Default Re: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy. (boostin GSR)

the babes.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy. (RenoRacing)

dude, quit while you're a head. You will get NOONE dealing with a severe case of Cognitive Dissonance!

Old 02-21-2004, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy. (lazerus)

Drugs are bad
Old 02-21-2004, 11:50 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy. (RenoRacing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RenoRacing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the babes. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 02-21-2004, 11:53 PM

Default Re: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy. (lazerus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lazerus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, quit while you're a head. You will get NOONE dealing with a severe case of Cognitive Dissonance!

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry, but what is that?

Just let him be. If he blows his engine, and gets dicouraged that's more engines left for me.
BTW I've never dyno tune either. For my racing I let a radar gun tell me what's up.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy. (nd_styles)

chicks dig it
Old 02-22-2004, 05:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love watching someone else beat up my car....and chicks dig it
Old 02-22-2004, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mildly interesting)

show your buddy my dyno run. I extracted 10lbs wtq from tunning, that otherwize I would had no idea that I had or could get. 98ctr
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=775420
Old 02-22-2004, 06:33 AM
Banned

Default Re: (98ctr)

Dynos are nice and all, but I've never tuned on one. I always tune at the track, and if my ET drops I consider it a win. Most of the time you can loose power on the dyno but run faster in the quarter. That is a good reason for someone to not want to dyno, but that is not your friends arguement now is it.

Now, most of the FI guys here dyno because they have better control over many variables and can work with things in a more controlled enviornment. A/F, timing, cam changes etc....

On the other hand, dynos are good for things like aeroplane engines which stay at a static RPM.
Old 02-22-2004, 07:01 AM

Default Re: (danl)

i would choose tuning on the street over a dyno any day. if you have a wideband you can tune on the street using the wideband and datalogging. that way on the street you can tune WOT and daily driving. so your car feels "stock" and drives perfect in and out of boost. on a dyno, you can only tune at WOT so your daily driving range might become messed up. but thats just me
Old 02-22-2004, 08:13 AM

Default Re: (civicflnum1)

if you know what you are doing, you can dyno tune for performance on the track

i used to race shifter karts competitively in the national circuit, and we used the dyno all the time while tuning to get not only big #s out of our engines, but wide powerbands.. also helps in choosing gear ratios for particular tracks, and helps with driving b/c if you know where your engine makes peak HP and where it starts falling off, u will be able to know where to shift (hint: its not always at redline when you are on a racing engine, plus there is no redline.. you shift off the pipe )

so yeah going to a dyno to see how much HP your car puts out peak is a waste of money unless you are at a dyno contest and putting out 900+whp, which is cool.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civicflnum1)

Thats not true. You can tune your car for daly driving on a dyno. I know for a fact that you can do it on a Dynojet. 98ctr

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicflnum1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> on a dyno, you can only tune at WOT so your daily driving range might become messed up. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

blah blah.... love the misinformation

A DynoJet cannot hold a steady state load and read power and torque in real time.
They calculate power by looking at the accleration rate that your wheels can apply to the roller.

In order to tune an engine management system correctly, you will need to load the engine to each of the load cells in the fuel and ignition maps and dial them in according to the real-time power and torque or A/F ratio they produce.

Dynamometers like dyno dynamics and dynapak can do this however, whereas dynojets cant.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mase)

I would like to see where you get your info from. A dynojet CAN hold a steady load. You can apply dyno brake anywhere from 0 -&gt; 100 % brake and have it hold at your desire %. Therefore you can hold a steady load on the car. I did it the other day so you can't tell me that we can't do it. 98ctr
Old 02-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98ctr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a dynojet CAN hold a steady load. You can aplly dyno brake any where from
0 -&gt; 100 % brake and have it hold at your desire %. I did it the other day so you can't tell me that we can't do it. 98ctr </TD></TR></TABLE>

Read my post again.

A DynoJet cannot hold a steady state load AND read power and torque in real time.

Old 02-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mase)

you dont need to read torque and power at the same time you hold a steady load. You hold a steady load to read air fuel and get the best drivibillity. You should not be concern with hp when you tune for best gas millage and drivibillity. 98ctr
Old 02-22-2004, 10:36 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98ctr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats not true. You can tune your car for daly driving on a dyno. I know for a fact that you can do it on a Dynojet. 98ctr

</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok but why waste money tuning for daily driving on a dyno when you can do it on the street? what i did was i tuned my car for daily driving and WOT on the street using a wideband and datalogging. then i went to a dyno day and for $40 i got 3 pulls and i fine tuned everything. so i only paid $40 for dyno use in stead of $150+
Old 02-22-2004, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its true that you can do that. But I dont' think that everybody wants to pay $500 for a wideband o2 and gauge and then pay for the datalogging. In an hour you can tune a car if you know what you are doing. O2 sensor is availeable and so is tunning. But that is just my oppinion. 98ctr.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

talking sense to a fool is foolish

Old 02-22-2004, 11:06 AM

datalogging and all that stuff is free. plus if you want to split the cost of a wideband with some friends then thats better. then once you add something in stead of paying more for a dyno you have a WB to use at home. BTW widebands are cheaper than $500 these days. just look for the group buys
Old 02-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy. (VNTEC)

Your buddy really needs to educated himself.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy. (Jackson4Door)

VNTEC ARE U THE ONE THAT CRASH UR CAR U GOT A VIDEO OF THE FOOTAGE

OMG OMG
Old 02-22-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98ctr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you dont need to read torque and power at the same time you hold a steady load. You hold a steady load to read air fuel and get the best drivibillity. You should not be concern with hp when you tune for best gas millage and drivibillity. 98ctr</TD></TR></TABLE>

You're barking up the wrong tree here.

Best Drive-ability is achieve through maximizing effectiveness and efficiency, or basically improving your volumetric efficiency. Incase you dont know what VE (Volumetric Efficiency) is, its the actual amount of air the engine ingests compared to the theoretical maximum. (VE is achieved at peak torque) in order to achieve peak torque at a given point, youd have to dial in your given afr, then slowly adjust your ignition timing until you maximize your torque. you can not do this on a dynojet.

Also there is this little thing called Brake Specific Fuel Consumption. If you dont know what that is either, its the measurement of an engine's efficiency regarding how well it uses the energy available in the fuel it consumes.

Take all of this into account, and you'd realize afr is just half the battle. while it may be true you can dial in a good afr holding your dyno jet steady, you can not read the REAL TIME power/torque figures. How can you maximize your drive-ability with a dynojet? You cant! Maybe you can get it fairly well, maybe you copy your buddies ignition values, and while that may be enough for most people, its not the most efficient and effective way to tune a capable car.

if you are not going to tune a car on load based dyno, then your best bet is to street tune it.

Quick Reply: Dyno waste of money and time? Help convince my buddy.