Notices

Dyno-tuned motor detonating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Awwww...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno-tuned motor detonating?

My B16 has a turbo setup on it, with a Hondata s300 tuned by Church. When I drove it over there, it still had stock injectors and an FMU, but when I got there, we swapped the injectors for RC saturated 750cc's and disconnected the vacuum line from the FMU. When it was tuned, it had an Apex manual boost controller on it, as well as an AEM FPR.

After I got it tuned, I took it back to a shop to install an AEM EVC and an aftermarket fuel rail (and keep the AEM FPR on it), and had them take out the FMU. Unfortunately, when I went to pick it up, it was idling pretty roughly, and was leaning out pretty badly even with the AEM EVC turned off. I had them put the stock rail back, and reconnect the FMU (w/out plugging the vacuum line in), but it didn't change anything. I had it brought home and found a vacuum line was disconnected, but with it plugged the engine idles better but runs even worse.

I know bringing it back to the shop was a bad idea, so save the comments - having to deal with this mess is bad enough. Any ideas?
Old 01-11-2007, 10:47 PM

Default Re: Dyno-tuned motor detonating? (thefazio)

I hate to hear that happen.....this is why i'd do all the work myself, because it's cheaper and if something f@#s up you know where to look.
.....At this point I'd put all the new parts on and get it retuned....
Old 01-12-2007, 04:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dyno-tuned motor detonating? (Oleg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Oleg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hate to hear that happen.....this is why i'd do all the work myself, because it's cheaper and if something f@#s up you know where to look.
.....At this point I'd put all the new parts on and get it retuned....</TD></TR></TABLE>

you're retarded, he had the car tuned. then changed it, and is wondering why its not running right... he told them what to do.....

obviously if you run an fmu on the car, WITHOUT the vacum line hooked up, there is going to be NO boost compensation.....

you people make me sick, trying to blame other people for your stupidity..... you better go back to school, so you can learn something....
Old 01-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Awwww...

Default Re: Dyno-tuned motor detonating? (dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">obviously if you run an fmu on the car, WITHOUT the vacum line hooked up, there is going to be NO boost compensation.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey, thanks for pointing out the obvious, but I had the FMU on WITHOUT the vacuum line when it was tuned (as I previously stated). Don't you think that 750cc injectors (installed at the dyno), the Walboro pump that was part of the turbo kit, AND the Hondata s300 should be able to compensate for boost? It was the guy at Church who suggested that I take it completely off because it wasn't doing anything but taking up space.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you people make me sick, trying to blame other people for your stupidity..... you better go back to school, so you can learn something.... hammer:</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm sorry, but you better go back to school and improve your reading comprehension before you try flaming someone else.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Awwww...

Default Re: Dyno-tuned motor detonating? (Oleg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Oleg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.....At this point I'd put all the new parts on and get it retuned....</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I thought I'd have to do, but I was hoping that I was missing something obvious (or not so).

Anyone else have any ideas?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

log your fuel pressure... see if its getting higher with boost.

check the diaphram on the aem fpr... might be a tear.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:50 PM
Awwww...

Thanks for the suggestion... I think I'll try that this weekend.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:01 PM
Awwww...

&lt;bump&gt;

I talked to Sean Church over the phone, and he also suggested checking all of the connections, especially the fuel system. What else is there to look out for?
Old 01-12-2007, 09:02 PM

Just a little something..... I personally log everything on paper while doing stuff like that(troubleshooting), it helps a lot....