Notices

Dual intank Walbros Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dual intank Walbros Del Sol

I decided it was time to redo the fuel setup on the Del Sol. Since Fullblown makes a nice EG kit with dual intank Walbros, I thought that was my complete answer...boy was I wrong. I myself, along with a couple of other vendors thought that the Del Sol tank, being an EG chassis and everything else Civic fits Del Sols, that everything would be the exact same. Getting everything apart I noticed everything was way different and I would have to start modifying.

First thing I noticed right off the bat was how the stock Del Sol hanger is almost straight down into the tank. It is also has a curve in it that places the pump off to the passenger side into the fuel tanks little baskett where the pumps filter sits. The Civic EG Fullblown hanger sits the pumps into the tank at about a 45 degree angle, which I guess is perfect for the more shallower but longer Civic fuel tank. Not modifying the FB hanger and just dropping it into the Del tank, would have put the pumps only halfway down into the Sol's tank(forcing me to always having to have a full tank of gas) and it would also put the pumps very close, and up almost against the Sols tank rear baffle.

Problem number two was the inner baskett where the stock pump sits in the Sols tank, and the arms on the FB setup. I was now going to have to angle the FB arms away from eachother to split the baskett for clearence and to sit the pumps lower in the tank. The Sols baskett is so small, that the down side will be that only one pump will sit in the baskett, but now at least the pumps will sit super low in the tank now.

Issue number three was the bolt pattern on the Civic FB EG kit and the stock Del Sol's hanger. Everything here almost lined up perfectly but a couple of bolts. 2 quick drill holes solved this problem nicely.

I basically made this write up to help anyone else that might be interested in doing a dual walbro setup into their Del Sol. Not many people have done this with their Sols, so just giving the heads up on the fact that the Fullblown "EG" kit, is for the Civc EG...and not the Del Sol EG. This is how I and a few others on here got confused. On to the pics:

Heres the Del Sol little baskett that sits almost straight down and to the left.

Holes that need to be drilled

Notice the stock Sol's hanger angle and curve, and how I modifyed the FB hanger to match it, then split the other pump to clear the baskett.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dual intank Walbros Del Sol

now running on e85 ;-)
Old 04-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good thing i decided to do the DW300 with bosch inline LOL... thanks for the heads up... go to the dyno yet with e85?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

clutch let go last night on the dyno....this is gettin old!
Old 04-16-2012, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this setup is not working on my del sol... i am using aeromotive 340 pumps... i had them mounted in the car by ramey built and showed them this thread... i dont know if its the pumps or maybe its the feed line is internally damaged but i am having fuel pressure drop off at higher RPMS.

base fuel pressure is set at 50... at 15psi the gauge goes up to 65psi and at around 6500-7000 rpms the fuel pressure drops below 50...

we swapped regulators and the regulator is fine...

we pulled out the fuel filter and ran the feed straight to the rail...

the only thing i can think of is that the feed line is damaged... i would assume that after looking at this thread that i emailed to ramey built that the pumps are mounted sufficiently... they also wired the pumps with a motec relay... and voltage is good throughout the pull on the dyno...

the first time i was on the dyno with this setup the car did the same thing and the pumps went bad... the pumps were replaced and reinstalled by ramey built...
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was with Delsolmarine at the dyno...both times... Note to delsol owners just sump the tank until further notice, its alot cheaper!!!! lol
Old 04-16-2012, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine is still running great, even on the 2 little walbros. What size feed line are you running? Make sure its not pinched. Also make sure you running a return line down to the bottom of the tank. If the pumps are going bad, then in my opinion they are being starved of fuel. The may not be mounted low enough?? Also never run the tank below 1/4, because of the one pump that does not sit in the basket. Hope this helps. Pull the pumps and have a look to see how the work was done on the pump bracket arms. If you give up, you can alway sump it, custom make something out of the original tank, or just stick a fuel cell in the trunk.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the feed line is a 8an braided rubber hose... and there are no kinks or anything in it after visual inspection....

the return line is a 6an line that goes back to the fuel hanger...

a friend brought up the fact that i am using the aeromotive fuel pump strainers that came with the pumps... and that i should switch them to the del sol oem strainers which are twice the size? possible resolution?
Old 04-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pull the pumps. You might even have a kink in the rubber houses that go in the tank. Those are a pain to get just right. Your going to have to take a look.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Replaced the 45 degree aeromotive strainers with Del Sol Strainers....

did NOT fix the fuel pressure drop!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the return line goes to the top of the hanger... do i need to extend the return line internally to the bottom of the tank? why would you need to do that?

Last edited by DelSolMarine; 04-19-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by portenio78
Pull the pumps. You might even have a kink in the rubber houses that go in the tank. Those are a pain to get just right. Your going to have to take a look.
This is EXACTLY the same problem we were having with a car recently. The car would run out of fuel at 6500 rpm at about 25psi.

The pumps were pulled and the rubber lines in the tank were pinched causing a huge flow restriction. They were then shortened up and mounted a little different. The same car went on to make 800+ HP on E85 with that setup.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes make sure the line goes out around the leg and up into the brass fittings. We never had anyone with issues like this unless a hose wasn't tight.