Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Dual hanger/ fuel pump aem question (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/dual-hanger-fuel-pump-aem-question-3203018/)

$MIKE$ 04-12-2014 09:26 AM

Dual hanger/ fuel pump aem question

I posted in the tech section but no perspective or ideas I was looking for.

I am running a dual hanger. For some reason one of the pumps is unusually louder than the other they are both aem 320.

I was wondering if you guys think it could possibly be a kink in the line causing the excess noise. Most of the time it is only a little louder on prime and ideal some times for 5-10 seconds it switches to a much louder bussing groaning noise. Obviously the sure way to check would be to remove pump switch them and see if it still makes the noise but it is really hard to install and re install this thing.

Has anyone had the same issue with any aem 320 pumps?

What do you all think is there something I'm missing or should I get any other pump and switch it out.

One is older than the other by about a year but both have very low run time less than 10hours.

Thanks for any help or ideas.

Muckman 04-12-2014 09:41 AM

Re: Dual hanger/ fuel pump aem question

Yes it absolutely could be a kinked hose. I also run the FBM dual hanger so I know how hard that hanger is to install and how tight that hose is. If its not looped absolutely perfectly it will kink. I'm thinking an easy way to test if the hose is kinked is unplug one pump at a time and let the feed line empty into a bucket so you can measure the output of each pump individually while priming the pump with the ignition switch.

$MIKE$ 04-12-2014 12:10 PM

��. Indeed looks like a kink is it. I pm you

It appears the submersible fuel hose collapse and kinked hard instead of the gentle bends it had before

One more thing I hate about the dual hanger

I feel the an braided lines are more resistance to kink

CaliforniaDad 04-24-2014 07:20 PM

Great after reading this, I really am not looking forward to installing my FB hanger and AEM pumps....uggg

frost_white_ej1 04-24-2014 08:17 PM

you have to install it right, full blown recommended running the line outward around the two hanger when i bought mine a few day ago. not saying this could be the case but, full blown did say some people run their line in between the hanger and that what cause it to kinks.

extremeracer 04-24-2014 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by frost_white_ej1 (Post 49678036)
you have to install it right, full blown recommended running the line outward around the two hanger when i bought mine a few day ago. not saying this could be the case but, full blown did say some people run their line in between the hanger and that what cause it to kinks.

I had a similar issue and ended up doing exactly that, running the line around which increases the radius of the bend and prevents kinking.

@$MIKE$, I've also heard of situations where the filter socks overlap and interfere with the the fuel between each pump, not necessarily on Honda's, but worth considering if you are trouble shooting.

wantboost 04-25-2014 01:32 AM

I saw the pictures of his install... I think they are inside the hanger, not around it.

but honestly he's had nothing but issues with his dual hanger. either it's his aem pumps or he's installed it wrong but if it were me I'd ditch the dual hanger setup and go conventional with one large pump

keep it simple stupid

$MIKE$ 04-25-2014 03:04 AM

Both hoses indeed go around the hanger arms

Both are now heavy duty an braided lines

Filter "socks" have been changed to a more compatible filter.

The aem e85 socks are green and square shaped not like the walbro or gas aem 320

I'm thinking my problem may be ignition related. I'm running cpr and don't knowing about it 1158 is experiencing similar problems as me.

Next step is a cell with a a1000 pump

OneBadTurboCRV 04-25-2014 04:26 AM

My AEM sock was exactly the same dimensions as the Walbro sock just green. The AEM 50-1200 pump is over 1/4" longer than a Walbro GSS342 pump. I recently found this out and was going to make a thread about it when I got the time. In my application it was more than enough to not be able to use in my stock fuel hanger since the Walbro only has about 1/16" clearance with the rubber base installed.

There is a high possibility that you were kinking from this added outlet length. Then again many people have been having issues with the COP. LOL, 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other. You need to do some serious testing rather than throw money away. Unless of course that's what you like doing?

$MIKE$ 04-25-2014 06:13 AM

I really feel the fuel system is solid I have done extensive testing and reateating I am definitely getting fuel.

I think the problem is ignition, I was not aware of a wide spread cpr problem.

Maybe time for aem