Notices

DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!?

Old 01-20-2004, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!?

just wondering...which would be better?...450cc injectors + hack or the FMU. im on a budget and which one would be easier to install?...i also have the Blitz Boost Controller if this might help at all...any help would be great...thnx!
Old 01-20-2004, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!? (FallenEGsi)

afc hack but do some reasearch on both to learn about them
Old 01-20-2004, 07:03 AM

ttt
Old 01-20-2004, 07:21 AM

depends, FMU is much safer and better in the long run, but difficult to tune, and not many people know how to do it well. AFC is much easier to tune and to work with.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!? (2K GSR)

I cant speak for anyone else, but I had nothing but problems with the hack. It just never really idled right and comming into boost was a little rough, if you have something that will pull timing while you are unnder boost I would say go for it, otherwise I would just save a few more bucks and buy a hondata or use uberdata or chrome......
Old 01-20-2004, 07:51 AM

would i need a bigger fuel pump or anything?...i've read in Honda Tuning on the article for Budget Boost that the CRX used an FMU and boosted at 6 psi...and didn't mention anything about a fuel pump?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:56 AM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!? (genop)

im running the vafc hax and i have 450cc dsm injectors with the fmu. i had the fmu on the car before i put the 450 injectors in. it runs great and idles good with all of them. i have the vafc settings -34 all the way across. but i would reseach all of them before you decide. i havent had mine dyno tune, but i will when i get some more money. im going to take the fmu out this week end and see how it runs with out it. but there all good for fuel, but like genop said if you have the money just buy the hondata and youll be good to go..
Old 01-20-2004, 08:01 AM
sh!t happens.

G

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FallenEGsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would i need a bigger fuel pump or anything?...i've read in Honda Tuning on the article for Budget Boost that the CRX used an FMU and boosted at 6 psi...and didn't mention anything about a fuel pump?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i would use one. i put one in mine, but how much boost do you plan on running. youll get tired of 6 psi trust me. youll want more. i would put one in there.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:32 AM

Default Re: DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!? (G"UNIT)

Has anyone had a problem with Hondata, AEM plug n play or any FMU? They seem almost flawless once you know how to work with it, and i do know of people having AFC problems.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:39 AM

i have the Blitz Power Meter and Boost Controller...would that help anything?
Old 01-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont know what kind of problems or how you are having problems with the hack. it is so simple its dummy proof. on top iof the 30 some odd page long post by liam about the hack its too hard to get it wrong.

the point of the hack is to get rid of the FMU or missinglink or whatever bullshit crap thast out there besides hondata, ems, haltech, defi.....blah blah.

i had the hack for a long time and from say one i never had problems with it.

dsm 450 injectors, resistor box, VAFC and walbro 255 intank pump. thats it all u need. **** u can get away with a stock fuel pump like i did for a month.

i had my VAFC settings at somewhere between -30 all the way to -40 (depending on what rpms i had it at.) also had the HI/LO throtle settings at 98% and 99%.
sensor at 6 wires in and 6 wires out. 4 cylinder and then set all the throttle points. i never even messed with teh vtec settings.

after that it ran smoothly no problems. i had no bogging and no hesitations whatsoever.

i dont know what u guys are doing that say u cant get it right or you are bogging or hessitating. and then your adding a fmu here and there. apparently you guys dont know how to set things right or research the correct way. if you cant even get the hack right im afraid to see what else you guys can do.

im sorry if i offended anyone but seriously this isnt hard.
Old 01-20-2004, 08:58 AM
sh!t happens.

G

Default Re: DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!? (nextelbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know what kind of problems or how you are having problems with the hack. it is so simple its dummy proof. on top iof the 30 some odd page long post by liam about the hack its too hard to get it wrong.

the point of the hack is to get rid of the FMU or missinglink or whatever bullshit crap thast out there besides hondata, ems, haltech, defi.....blah blah.

dsm 450 injectors, resistor box, VAFC and walbro 255 intank pump. thats it all u need. **** u can get away with a stock fuel pump like i did for a month.

i had my VAFC settings at somewhere between -30 all the way to -40 (depending on what rpms i had it at.) also had the HI/LO throtle settings at 98% and 99%.
sensor at 6 wires in and 6 wires out. 4 cylinder and then set all the throttle points. i never even messed with teh vtec settings.

after that it ran smoothly no problems. i had no bogging and no hesitations whatsoever.

i dont know what u guys are doing that say u cant get it right or you are bogging or hessitating. and then your adding a fmu here and there. apparently you guys dont know how to set things right or research the correct way. if you cant even get the hack right im afraid to see what else you guys can do.

im sorry if i offended anyone but seriously this isnt hard. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 01-20-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!? (nextelbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont know what kind of problems or how you are having problems with the hack. it is so simple its dummy proof. on top iof the 30 some odd page long post by liam about the hack its too hard to get it wrong.

im sorry if i offended anyone but seriously this isnt hard. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Good point! I think all of the system's work quite well depending on what you want to do with the car. Not everybody on here make's $100,000 a year. I say, Go with what you can afford but do it right. One major mistake with fuel or ignition timing and you will see a rod come out the side of your block!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:09 AM

i use the hack and run 5 lbs. spring (no boost controller yet) and it runs, idles, and accelerates so smooth it almost feels stock. it is really simple.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: (GaDawgs)

im planning on just using the FMU for now...cuz im on a limited budget
Old 01-20-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Re: (FallenEGsi)

i don't plan on boosting high just yet...as i just started the build...but is it required to get a fuel pump right now?

setup so far is:

D16Z6 stock internals
IHI turbo w/hf manifold
custom downpipe
DSM smic
DSM 1st Gen BOV
2.25 B-Pipe
HKS Hi-per Muffler

or ??

Modified by FallenEGsi at 6:31 PM 1/20/2004
Old 01-20-2004, 10:00 AM

Default Re: (FallenEGsi)

TtT
Old 01-20-2004, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok yea.............i have a vafcII, the fmu that came with my revhard kit, and i have the inline pump that came with my kit. i have a few questions also. ok, just fyi, i havent installed anythign yet. except the vafc.

ok........should i
1) buy RC 440's?? i can get them for 300 with the obdII clips. and run the hack. if so. is all i need for the hack a vafc, pump and injectors?
2) sell the fmu???
3)sell my inline pump for an intank? is there that much of a difference?

i have the $$ to buy the injectors, but i wanted to ask you guys before i did anything. i dont have anything to retard timing under boost. and more than likey wont buy anything b/c i'll be gettin ems this summer. help me out here guys....im still a little confused.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2K GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">depends, FMU is much safer and better in the long run, but difficult to tune, and not many people know how to do it well. AFC is much easier to tune and to work with.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is absurd. FMU is not as safe, and worse in the long run. It is difficult, or really, impossible to tune.

The AFC hack is by far the better method out of these two. It's easier to tune, safer, and a better long-term solution.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:38 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FallenEGsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would i need a bigger fuel pump or anything?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Never increase the airflow of a motor without increasing the fuel flow capacity. When you turbo, you're increasing the airflow by a LOT, and the pressure. The stock fuel pump can't keep up with that.

Additionally, if you use a FMU, you need a fuel pump even more. The HUGE fuel pressures required by a FMU are very hard on the pump, and a lot of pumps wouldn't be able to keep up.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2K GSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Has anyone had a problem with Hondata, AEM plug n play or any FMU? They seem almost flawless once you know how to work with it, and i do know of people having AFC problems.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Everyone with a FMU has problems, it's called running like ****.

Hondata and AEM are by far better solutions than either of the other two methods. Try searching, this is discussed about once every time I inhale.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

does the hack still work if they injectors arent dsm?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smurfey002)

yes u can get other injectors sucj as supra inj3etors or mazda rx7 injectors u just need a fuel controller to reduce the masive fuel from these bigger than stoc injectors.

although u get some of the best reults with the hack and dsm 450 or R/C 440 injectors.

the difference between R/C injectors is u dont need a resistor box andf they are mad expensive.

dsm 450 injectors need a resistor box ( 10-20 bux at a junk yard) and they are mad cheap usually only 50-100 bux for 4.

id rather have dsm injectors like i had
Old 01-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ohhhhhh ok. so rc's dont need a resistor box. gotcha. this is starting to make a whole lot more sense now. i was like wtf is the resistor box for?? gotcha now. so......selling the fmu and getting eithor RC's or dsm's+resistor box would be a good move then eh? now my last question, will my inline pump that came with my kit be sufficient enough? or should i get an intank pump?

edit: btw, you have one nice car there man. got any engine pics?
Old 01-20-2004, 05:35 PM

Default Re: DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!? (kpt4321)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kpt4321 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Everyone with a FMU has problems, it's called running like ****.

Hondata and AEM are by far better solutions than either of the other two methods. Try searching, this is discussed about once every time I inhale.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

****! I got confused i thought Hondata and AEM and Emanage were FMU, im an idiot, thanks kpt4321 for clearing that up for me.

So to fix what my dumbass said, go with hondata or something like that. thats what i MEANT to say.

sorry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DSM 450cc + AFC Hack vs. FMU?!?