Notices

Driving a turbo car....*questions*

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driving a turbo car....*questions*

do you gear down as much as you would on a naturally aspirated car?

do you rev match as much with a turbo car?

Old 08-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Driving a turbo car....*questions* (frostcivic)

if you did everything correctly...u should be able to drive it as a normal car.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Driving a turbo car....*questions* (krazn)

turbo'ed LS/LS tranny, I don't seen to need to gear down as much anymore. I just mat it, and it pulls right on through...
Old 08-11-2004, 08:18 PM
official honda whore

Default Re: Driving a turbo car....*questions* (eg6T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">krazn..i see alot of your posts and you dont really ANSWER the question...you criticize them by giving an obvious answer like "it will run right if you did it right"...no ****..don even post dumb crap like that</TD></TR></TABLE>

well he is right, if you turbocharge a car that was n/a stock and you do it right you should be able to drive it like it was stock.... but being turbocharged means less downshift and if the turbo is matched with the motor you should be able to just hit the gas at a fairly decent rpm and get good acceleration whereas in a n/a motor you would probably have to downshift to get good acceleration( meaning most 4 cyl engines NOT v8's )

case in point
a stock civic ex is virtually gutless in 5th gear on the highway at 3,000 rpm whereas a turbocharged civic has decent pull in 5th gear for passing where the stock motor would have to downshift to achieve the same effect
Old 08-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i second all of that and want to reiterate... if your car runs well in N/A form it will do well in turbo form as long as you take the proper fuel management precautions.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Driving a turbo car....*questions* (eg6T)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6T &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">krazn..i see alot of your posts and you dont really ANSWER the question...you criticize them by giving an obvious answer like "it will run right if you did it right"...no ****..don even post dumb crap like that</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow...i just got back to work this morning to see a noob flame me? first of all..you sure its been me posting? if u check my post average...i only do one a day. second of all...wuts wrong w/ what i told him? if everything is tuned perfectly..he would not have any problems down shifting...or detonating in deceleration. he would be able to drive like a normal car. so how bout u stop trying to be tough internet guy...and help this guy out instead of trying to pick fights on me. so....pull ur ***** back, stick it in ur butt, **** urself, and have a nice day. on me.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:41 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by frostcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you gear down as much as you would on a naturally aspirated car?</TD></TR></TABLE>
NO!&gt;&gt; 5th to 4th most of the time instead of 5th to 3rd

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do you rev match as much with a turbo car?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Its the same really. Very little noticeable difference
Old 08-12-2004, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The biggest pain in the *** difference between NA and Turbo is traction! You don't get much of it in the lower gears.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

To be honest i went from a GSR with i/h/e and suspension to an evo w/ 3K worth of mods....

YOu actually become a lazy driver with a turboed car...no need to downshift since boost is always present for me.... also don't need to downshift on a honda...dunno
Old 08-12-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (202B)

yeah...you're right..i dont see myself downshifting anymore. hell, i even did a highway run w/ my friends LS hatch in 5th gear...and i still had him. i think he said he was in 3rd. just get lazy i guess.

oh..and where u at eg6t? u gonna retract ur statement bout me?