Notices

Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2003, 07:10 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ?

the engine is a B18c1 . I drove the car around for about one week with the turbo connected to the exhaust mani, but it was spinning freely due to the fact that I have unplugged the IC piping.

I redlined the engine a few times during this period.

could it have possibly led to turbo " overspeed " , and cause possible damage to it ?

Old 07-13-2003, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (meanteg)

yes it could have. Why did you get on it at all?
Old 07-13-2003, 07:24 PM
New User

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (hollaback6)

break-in of the freshly rebuilt engine.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (meanteg)

lol, why would your redline it if your breaking it in? from what i hear u baby it time to time and u get on it to seal the piston rings or whatever, but i dont think that means redline it
Old 07-13-2003, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

holy ****, isnt that overspeed city for the turbo???
Old 07-13-2003, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (igotyofire)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igotyofire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, why would your redline it if your breaking it in? from what i hear u baby it time to time and u get on it to seal the piston rings or whatever, but i dont think that means redline it</TD></TR></TABLE>

taking your motor to redline somehow proves to have better results in the long run. Your rings seated almost immediatly. I did half babying and half redlining and let off the throttle during break in 16K miles ago and took it out recentyly, everything looks perfect...

Don't run your turbo with no IC piping, you're over revving the turbo and it will shorten it's life...it's not good for the seals...

Either run it NA or run it in boost cycle

stan
Old 07-13-2003, 10:38 PM

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (Flamenco-T)

can you explain boost cycle?
Old 07-13-2003, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (GottaLude)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GottaLude &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can you explain boost cycle?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I mean with boost, i.e. run it with the charge pipe connected..

stan
Old 07-13-2003, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (GottaLude)

your turbo's life has been shortened. If you must drive the car with a turbocharger in place but not operational, disconnect the internal wastegate if possible, or dont rev the engine too high. it's simply not good for the turbocharger either way.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:50 PM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

I've heard that babying your engine during break in is 'bad' also. Too bad I heard too late. About ten years ago I babied my break in...

Probably the only way to see if your turbo got damaged is to just try it out and see how it goes. Maybe its still ok. Let us know how it goes.
Old 07-13-2003, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (mos)

boost it while brake it in.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:13 AM

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (austrian type-R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by austrian type-R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boost it while brake it in. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my definate opinion as well.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:41 AM
New User

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (lazerus)

I have a 1 bar WG spring, it's a little high for a break-in

I just soudld have removed the wg spring but now it's too late

I removed the turbo to check if it was ok, and I did notice a little bit of oil on the intake side of the compressor. not much, but is it normal ?

Old 07-14-2003, 10:02 AM

I seriously doubt you did any damage to your turbo, if you only redlined int a few times.

Think about it, on most setups with a decent sized turbo, you can rev it to redline in neutral without building much (if any) boost. On a naturally aspirated engine (which is basically what you have with the IC piping unplugged), your really not producing much exhaust gas, even at redline. Its not going to spin any faster than it does under normal use.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:18 AM
New User

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (rioninja)

that makes sense, except for one litthe thing : If you rev the engine into neutral, it sees no load. But my engine was on load.

Do you think it could make a difference ?

Old 07-14-2003, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes, because the turbo was getting more and more exhaust gas, with no way of calming down the flow. The wastegate works by using boost pressure to open the dump valve. If you dont have the charge lines hooked up, how is it going to see that boost pressure to calm the flow? It wont, therefore your turbo probably just saw 100-200k rpm. Have a good day
Old 07-14-2003, 10:56 AM
New User

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (Tinker219)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tinker219 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Have a good day </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha.

About what RPM ist it supposed to normally see ?
Old 07-14-2003, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Driving around with the IC piping unplugged = possible danger for the turbo ? (Tinker219)

Again, on a properly sized turbo, a naturally aspirated engine is not going to provide enough exhaust gasses to overspin a turbo that much. I used reving the motor in neutral as an example. Even with the wastegate closed the entire time, there simply is not that much exhaust to spin the turbo to the stratospheric relm that everyone takes as gospel, just because they heard someone say it way back when.