Notices

drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2002, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro???

setup is a drag3 right now i have a walbro intank fuel pump. so do i put the stock back in and use the one that came with the drag3 3 kit (airtex) or do i just keep the walbro? thanks for the help. I think my car maybe detonating and this is why i ask the question. thanks I know this seems like a question that has been asked alot but i kinda need a good answer. Blow my **** up. thanks guys
Old 04-04-2002, 08:38 AM

Default Re: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro??? (turboex)

Higher flow intank + higher flow inline + 12:1 FMU = supa rich!!!

Take the walbro out and put the stock one back in, then install the inline and you will be fine. If you are running the 12:1 FMU that comes with the kit, you do not need the walbro. But, if you are running the intank and no inline and you have the 12:1, you are basically nothing. Unless you are running standalone, which would not require you to use the FMU or the inline, just get rid of the walbro.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:38 AM
Better than steak

You can leave your walbro in there and use the Inline if you are gonna use the fmu, which in your case you will be...

art
Old 04-04-2002, 08:39 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro??? (Arturbo)

wow, conflicting information. Imagine that...lol
Old 04-04-2002, 08:43 AM

Default Re: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro??? (Arturbo)

hehe, I just noticed that. Don't you feel that he would be running way to rich with all three components Art?

[edit] a AFC or a VAFC might be the bridge for all three though[edit]

[Modified by maxim, 11:45 AM 4/4/2002]
Old 04-04-2002, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro??? (maxim)

man guys i get your ideas but your getting me confused? If the fuel setup is far better with a stock intank pump and the drag3 inline rather than just the walbro then im all for it. thanks again. I think i might just give it a try and see what happens. The only reason i got the walbro is for the clean look and less noise. but if its not safe then ill switch them out. any final thought on this guys? thanks again
Old 04-04-2002, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

oh i kinda dident understand this coment? "Take the walbro out and put the stock one back in, then install the inline and you will be fine. If you are running the 12:1 FMU that comes with the kit, you do not need the walbro. But, if you are running the intank and no inline and you have the 12:1, you are basically nothing"
Are you saying that this setup is the walbro+theFmu+the Drag fuel pump is not much better than a stock setup? thanks for the help
Old 04-04-2002, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Additional fuel delivery is obtained by increasing fuel pressure at the rail. Additional fuel pumps that /CAN/ maintain pressure do not increase fuel pressure, restrictions after the fuel rail create pressure.

Dustin
Old 04-04-2002, 10:22 AM

Sorry, sometimes I get in a hurry.

What I am saying is that it is pointless to have an 12:1 FMU and just an intank pump. In other words, you need something to support or pull fuel in(so to speak) to the 12:1 FMU. The inline is designed to pull more fuel in to support the 12:1 FMU.

If you have all three, you've got too much fuel. An inline pump along with a 12:1 FMU is more than adequate.

The other thing that I was trying to explain is that, the intank pump would be good by itself(no FMU, no inline pump) with larger injectors and a standalone fuel management system(Hondata, Haltech,...).
Old 04-04-2002, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I'd explain it again but I'm sort of tired of explaining the relationship between pressure and flow.

Walbro Intank + inline airtex is a safe setup. Pumps just flow fuel at pressure... they don't cause "too much" fuel to be delivered. The fuel pressure regulator (and FMU) control fuel delivery to the motor.

Dustin

Old 04-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so "maxim" is it that the walbro cant suply the pressure of the amount of fuel needed? I totally understand your view on this and it deos make good sense. I mean when i look at just the size diffrence i kinda wonder how the walbro does much more than a stock pump. oh where do you recomend i hook the power to the pump? I kinda wanna keep it clean as possable. thanks for all the help guys!
Old 04-04-2002, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ttt
Old 04-04-2002, 11:35 AM

so "maxim" is it that the walbro cant suply the pressure of the amount of fuel needed? I totally understand your view on this and it deos make good sense. I mean when i look at just the size diffrence i kinda wonder how the walbro does much more than a stock pump. oh where do you recomend i hook the power to the pump? I kinda wanna keep it clean as possable. thanks for all the help guys!
As far as the intank vs. inline, I trust Dustins opinion, he can explain it a lot better than I can. But if I were to use all three I would lean it out with an AFC or get a 10:1 or even 8:1 replacement disk for the FMU. Just my thoughts.

Which pump are you referring to? The inline or the intank? If the inline, I believe it pin number 7 on your fuel relay. I don't know what year your ex is, but if it is the 96-00 gen EX(like mine) you remove the glove box and its on your right behind the plastic covering above the kick panel(where the ECU is).

IM me if you have any other questions, I would be happy to walk you through it.
Old 04-04-2002, 09:42 PM

Is the walbro that you have a high pressure of high volume?
If it's a high pressure pump keep it and use the fmu.Ditch the in-line pump and stick with just the in-tank.There is no need for the in-line (sell it and make a few bucks) if you have a high pressure in-tank.The whole concept of pulling (more) fuel from a pump that is suposed to be pushing makes no sense to me.
Btw i have a high pressure holly 255lph in tank pump with a 6:1 fmu.I have no problems what so ever.it's probably the MOST reliable way to go if your using a fmu.I also have 310cc injectors so thats why i'm using the 6:1
Old 04-04-2002, 10:40 PM
New User

Default Re: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro??? (b16ahybrid)

better yet... if you cant decide... dont use either!
Old 04-05-2002, 09:22 AM

If it's a high pressure pump keep it and use the fmu.Ditch the in-line pump and stick with just the in-tank.There is no need for the in-line (sell it and make a few bucks) if you have a high pressure in-tank.The whole concept of pulling (more) fuel from a pump that is suposed to be pushing makes no sense to me.
Btw i have a high pressure holly 255lph in tank pump with a 6:1 fmu.I have no problems what so ever.it's probably the MOST reliable way to go if your using a fmu.I also have 310cc injectors so thats why i'm using the 6:1
That's the key right there. It would be extremely rich if you used the 12:1(stock) Vortech FMU disk.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:40 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think you quite understand.. Even if it is a high pressure intank fuel pump, its not gonna be able to support 150psi of fuel pressure.. the ONLY reason u have had success is because u r running a 6:1 FMU and 310's.. (less fuel pressure but more volume)
Old 04-05-2002, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro??? (DIRep972)

Direp knows what is up...

ahhh passing out... too much misinformation...
Old 04-05-2002, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro??? (dustin)

Ok heres the deal so far. I now have the walbro intank pump and the airtex inline pump installed and the fuel pressure is the same at idle with and without the vacuum line of. So as of now this setup does not change the fuel pressure at all. I did let the car warm up and the fuel presure still stayed as it should. Wel i guess that was not my question. But I still wont figure out how much better it work under boost untill tonight as i dont drive my car on wet road. Wel not this car. Ill give ya the update on how it goes tonight. thanks for all the help I just hope the new pump flows more at high psi like everyone is saying then ill be fine.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:03 PM

Default Re: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro??? (DIRep972)

[
I dont think you quite understand.. Even if it is a high pressure intank fuel pump, its not gonna be able to support 150psi of fuel pressure.. the ONLY reason u have had success is because u r running a 6:1 FMU and 310's.. (less fuel pressure but more volume)[/QUOTE]

What don't i understand?
A: you DONT need 2 fuel pumps
B: in-line pumps SUCK
C:If you are using a fmu you need a high pressure fuel pump at any boost level.
Thats exactly why i used 310's and the lower fmu,Did you think that i didnt know the end result?
I'm not trying to be an *** but you stated that i don't understand....What???
Old 04-05-2002, 05:31 PM
New User

I think DIRep is saying u don't understand b/c u are suggesting that he keep the intank pump with his 12:1 FMU when the intank can't keep up with the high fp. Your set-up is fine with the intank b/c your fp isn't that high with the 6:1 disk. But the original poster is using stock injectors with a 12:1 disk.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:03 PM

Default Re: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro??? (TurboTypeR98)

I think DIRep is saying u don't understand b/c u are suggesting that he keep the intank pump with his 12:1 FMU when the intank can't keep up with the high fp. Your set-up is fine with the intank b/c your fp isn't that high with the 6:1 disk. But the original poster is using stock injectors with a 12:1 disk.
Thanks for clarifying his post for me
I ran a 12:1 fmu with my stock injectors for a while (since last may)with no problems so it has nothing to do with only using a 6:1 fmu now.Either way you go (in-tank or in-line) both pumps will be able to support high fuel pressures.The in-tank pump is a better choice because it works the way it was designed,pumping fuel.The reason i don't like in-line pumps is because they are basically just a band-aid fix.You have the stock pump pumping away and a higher volume pump after it pulling fuel away from the in-tank .The stock pump is bound to wear out faster because it's not pumping it's now just sitting there (in essence) and you also run the risk of cavitation.Using a the high volume/pressure in-tank and an in-line is just a waste.The in-tank will supply more then enough fuel pressure for a 12:1 fmu.So he should sell the in-line pump and just use the in-tank.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:05 PM

Oh and btw a STOCK intank pump will not supply enough fuel for a fmu.So if you were thinking i meant stock intank then i understand you reasoning for why mine works with the intank.
Just for a reference i am using a holly 255lph f/i intank fuel pump with the vortec and 310's
Old 04-05-2002, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Walbro pump can't flow past 90psi. The drag airtex pump is rated to 125psi.

You should do more research.

Dustin
Old 04-05-2002, 06:30 PM
New User

I'm glad the 12:1 FMU, stock injectors, and intank pump worked for you. The reason why people are saying don't use the intank is because the maker of the intank says that it doesn't flow enough fuel at high fp. But I'm sure you already know that. As for inline pumps, they work fine. I've had mine for almost 3 yrs without a problem.

Quick Reply: drag3 kit. 7psi... inline drag3 pump or walbro???