Notices

Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions...

Hey everybody,
1st off, Big Thanks to Ben @ Importparts for the awesome deal and tech support. Also, thanks to Mark C. and Dustin (never talked with you, but Thanks for the great pix!).
I just completed the Drag 3 install on my '00 GS-R last weekend and anyone who is wondering about going turbo... just do it! The power is phenominal. I still have tuning to do (hell I ain't even running an exhaust right now), but my initial impression of this kit is "WOW!" I've put about 130 miles on the car running only the 2.5" downpipe, so I guess I'm a "Made Man", right Mark? I'm running a T3 stage 3 turbine with A/R .63 and a T04E "54" trim compressor, 35mm TiAL (.4bar), HKS SS BOV, etc.
The ***-dyno says this car is quite a bit quicker than my old '94 JRSC @ 6 psi, but tonight I checked it out with my GTech-Pro meter to be sure. The ***-dyno was right. Here are the test conditions and results:
70° F -- 83% Humidity here (yuck... sticky weather all day today.)
I made these runs close to my home on a nice level stretch of highway 216. These runs were made with the stock clutch and stock Michelin 195/55 VR-15 rubber. I only got to make 2 runs (one each way). 1st gear is hard to get right and 2nd gear just breaks loose and stays that way 'til redline. I had to modulate the throttle to keep from just slamming the rev limiter (although I did hit it once.) Then 3rd is where that ***** makes up for lost time. (:^O) Hang on! On my 2nd pass, I think the stock clutch slipped a little after the shift to 4th.
Anywho, enough of the play by play.
Run 1 0-60 mph 5.32 sec.
¼ mile 13.35 @ 117.7 mph

Run 2 0-60 mph 5.48 sec.
¼ mile 13.61 @ 115.2 mph

Both these times are better on street tires than my best at the dragstrip on slicks with my old '94 supercharged GS-R! Now it's time for some tuning to hopefully find a little more power. Is that even possible!??? I think after I install my clutch and put on slicks, this car should easily be in the 12s fully loaded.
See ya at the track!
Old 06-13-2001, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (The Mick)

congrats....
Old 06-13-2001, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (Slow_ass_4dr)

Proof that the gtech is not good at estimating trap speed

Turbo is so much fun I'm glad you're happy.

Dustin
Old 06-13-2001, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (dustin)

Good point Dustin.
I've only tested my Gtech at the track (Rockingham Dragway) once on my '94 GS-R and here were the results:
Gtech read ---- 13.73 @ 104.0
The Rock ------ 13.692 @ 100.73
The trap speed was artificially high, but the e.t. was pretty close.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:10 PM

The G-Tech gives you "real" speed at the end of the run instead of the track's estimated speed. Since at the track they essentially give you the speed for the last 60 ft of you run and avg it, it's not the speed when you cross the line.

~Doug
Old 06-13-2001, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (TimeRacer)

Yeah everyone says that, but it is still inaccurate.

There is no way you get to 117mph in the 1/4 (redline in fourth gear!) and then run a mid 13 in the 1/4. I personally do not think my gtech is any good at measuring performance of actually fast cars.... it is good for telling exactly how slow a slow car is

Dustin
Old 06-14-2001, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad you enjoy Mick!

Open downpipe is fun isn't it?

Get that new clutch in there! Mine disintegrated after 2-wks.

BTW - You have a new title.
Old 06-14-2001, 05:44 AM
New User

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (dustin)

glad u like ur turbo. i had mine put on a month ago and i love it. im only runnig 3 pds now, but no exhaust and have stock clutch, plus have plenty of tuning to do.
Old 06-14-2001, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (d98integra)

thats great man...turbo and na is so different like night and day...when i put mine on a fews ago..my mouth just dropped...and the open downpipe was too much for my ears though..i felt my floor rattling....people would just stare at me when i was driving to RPM which took me about 1/2 hour...i got scared when a i pulled up next to a cop but he didn't even look my way when i drove off when the light turned green...i guess NYC is used to hearing cars sounding like that...i wonder how my car is gonna feel like when i take the cat out???
Old 06-14-2001, 08:37 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (b18b98)

another one succums to the darkside..
Old 06-14-2001, 08:44 AM
New User

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (GSRwBOOST)

just like you... I GOT TURBO FEVER!!!!!
Old 06-14-2001, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (dlplayboy)

This is why we're having a few interregional DFH meets so I can check out Mick's car! I never got to ride in his SC beast, so I def want a ride in a turbocharged Honda (I've yet to experience this yet).

As for the GTECH, per my experience and other like the Mick, ET can be reasonably close, but IGNORE the trap speed. As Dustin noted, the blurb about actual speed at the end vs 60' avg is not enough to account for the difference... Just look at ET

FB
Old 06-14-2001, 02:39 PM
New User

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (berkel)

OK that's it, I'm going to spend next week running open downpipe. Or maybe I should wait until I get a fuel pump that doesn't suck ***. Anyone have a good pump for a turbo GSR at 7psi, Cartech FMU, and RC 310s?
Old 06-14-2001, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (berkel)

Hey fellas,
Thanks for the welcome back to the darkside! Maybe I should say the darker side. Dustin has good points about the trap speed, but according to my limited experience, I'm guessing the e.t. should be close to what the Gtech gets. Even if the trap is a measely 111 mph, I can live with that. On a similar note, the time I went to Rockingham Dragway, I saw a VW Corrado VR6 with an aftermarket turbo kit (EIP Tuning???, I forget) run a 13.40 @ 117 mph on some nice 17" rims and low profile tires, so it's possible. Unreal! I'll have to check, but I think I have it on video.
Ooh ooh, a new name Mark? Tell me more.
I've got an idea for vanity plates for the car, but I can't disclose that until I see if I can get it or not.
Hey Franz, meet me in VA and that will change.
Y'all take care,
Mick
Old 06-14-2001, 06:43 PM
New User

Sweet! I had the same feeling when I ran mine for the first time!! I bout wet myself and my jaw dropped wide open!!! It was soooo fun until my DeltaSuckGate failed and boosted like 17psi on stock bottom w/stock injectors. BAM! There went 3 pistons.

Oh well...rebuild is almost done (should be done Sunday), and I should be boosting 12psi on the street. It's going to be so fun.

Congrats.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (BlowOff)

The Airtex fuel pump flows more than 60+lbph and that is more than enough for most boost applications. It's also designed to handle high pressures so you get the best of both worlds.
Old 06-14-2001, 09:55 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

13.4 @117 is plenty possible, it just means your car has hella power and u cant get traction till 3rd and 4th gear.. kinada doubt this is the scenario though

and i am for sure dumping my deltagate when i go turbo and getting a tial.. i cant wait till im a turbomafia soldier
Old 06-14-2001, 10:23 PM
Trial User

Hey everybody,
I still have tuning to do (hell I ain't even running an exhaust right now
No exhaust?! You must be in the rights of passage phase for the turbo mafia.

btw congrats
Old 06-14-2001, 11:05 PM
New User

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions...

congrats, man! I'm envious of you.

I can't wait until I turbo my car. It just seems like it's never going to happen, as I struggle with debt every month, but I'm gonna be selling mass **** on ebay soon to get some cash.

BTW, anything worth pointing out on the install? I too have seen Dustin's pictures and they look like they will be really helpful when I tackle the install. What are you doing about a fuel solution (bigger injectors, piggyback ECU, etc)? what boost controller and gauges did you decide on?
Old 06-15-2001, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've seen that car too, spin till 1/8 mile. Massive power but no traction.

He's busted off a few mid14's in the 11Xmph range!!!
Old 06-15-2001, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (BlowOff)

BlowOff : Ouch! I hope you get it all straightened out this Sunday. I can't imagine runnin' 12psi! Good luck to ya.

Ricehornet : Yep, I had to do it! I think this soldier is almost ready for battle. Ben is sending me a 3" exhaust this coming week and I'll have to modify it, 'cause I don't particularly care for the "dump truck" sound.
Thanks!

degradated : Hang in there bro... you'll get it. I highly recommend it!
Well, I guess like most projects of this nature, there will be some modifications that'll need to be made. One of the things I did was have a new oil return line made. It wasn't too cheap either (nearly $50), but it's made with good quality stuff. The oil return line sent with the Drag kit leaves much to be desired (as others have pointed out). I'm sure it'll work fine, but it isn't necessarily the best way to do it. I also had to modify (and move it over about 1.25") my plastic fan shroud to gain clearance for the compressor housing. The block webbing had to be ground down a bit for clearance as well, but that's mentioned in the installation instructions provided by ImportParts.com on their website. I used a die grinder to take away the excess material. An air compressor is the ticket for this. My Vortech FMU leaked, so that had to be fixed. I bought the TiAL wastegate and the top banjo fitting (actually the bolt) on that will hit the backside of the hood when mounted (at least in my car it would have)... can't have that, so over to the belt sander to fix that uh-oh. I port-matched the turbo to the manifold and manifold to the head (things didn't line up perfectly. The parts did bolt up, no problem, though. I didn't have to open up any holes for that. I also had to take out a little material on the outside of the Drag manifold between the 2nd and 3rd exhaust ports. The opening where the oil dipstick comes though wasn't quite large enough. There were a few other small things. Many (if not all) of these things may have been isolated incidents, but I doubt it. Just about every so called "bolt on" aftermarket part I've purchased had a little something out of whack, but that's usually the way it is. No biggie. Fix it and move on. Just print out a couple of Dustin's pictures and get on with it. Over all, the Drag kit was pretty easy to install and fit relatively well. It looks and performs great, so no argument there. Lots of the nit-picky things I mentioned could easily be overlooked by most, but I'm just a picky a$$. Besides, I wanted to take my time and (hopefully) do it right. I even polished my compressor housing... why not? Something I recommend is use nylon zip ties on all your vacuum connections. Another thing I did was use lock washers on the bolts that connect the downpipe to the exhaust housing. Several people have mentioned them working their way loose. Hopefully I won't have this problem.
Fuel solution? I'm using stock injectors for now. I have some Venom 310 cc injectors here, but they are for my other ride. Should I upgrade the stockers? Probably so. I'm using the GReddy PRofec B electronic boost controller. I bought a boost guage, fuel pressure gauge (not installed yet), and J&S Safeguard with the dual monitor (not installed yet either).

B18CXr : Do you live in/around Charlotte, NC? If so, Josh Honeycutt just mentioned your name to me. I'd like to see your turbo Civic! What must that be like?

Y'all have a goodern!

[Modified by The Mick, 8:58 PM 6/15/2001]
Old 06-17-2001, 07:47 AM
New User

Hmm...battery cover..........

Old 06-17-2001, 08:02 AM
Better than steak

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (Optimus Prime)

Hello Turbomafia brother...

art
Old 06-17-2001, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Drag 3 Installed! 1st Impressions... (Arturbo)

Hello Art... my brother!

Jhae... you ain't gettin' nothin'! LOL!
Old 06-17-2001, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey... how come im not a turbo mafia soldier!?

edit:

[Modified by 4dr-gsr, 11:57 AM 6/18/2001]